Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GoFundMe and Crowdfunding
Recently I have been reading about the water issues in several First Nation communities.

My question:  should GoFundMe and Crowdfunding and other online fundraisers be used to do what the Canadian government should be doing to raise funds to build the infrastructure to provide these communities clean drinking water?
Thanks given by:
Money isn’t real though.

I guess infrastructure isn’t real either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 06:02 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Money isn’t real though.  

I guess infrastructure isn’t real either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure I must be missing a reference there but it’s gone over my head.
Thanks given by: divit
Trans Mountain thread.
Thanks given by: divit
No, they shouldn't. Mostly because there's no accountability once the money is donated.
Anyone can throw up a page and say they'll help but there's no obligation to follow through.

Perhaps if a not for profit with a proven track record or investing in that kind of infrastructure and experience working with FNs decided to take on the task, I'd consider it.

But a major infrastructure project like a water treatment plant isn't something that a concerned citizen can reasonably oversee

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Beyond what Pali correctly points out, the big cost in infrastruture isn't just capital. The dog can get capital funding. That's easy.

O&M is the killer. A water plant, more than 90% of its lifecycle costs are going to be O&M. And that is harder money to find, as it has to be recurring annual funding.

And that's if you can even find operators. There are already smaller communities in Canada that have trouble finding competent operators. Imagine trying to fill an Operator 4 position in an isolated reserve.

With infrastructure, it not the cost to build that matters - its the cost and specialization of the maintenance.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-14, 07:59 AM)PaliSENS Wrote: Mostly because there's no accountability once the money is donated.

So basically, like all money given to reserves.
Thanks given by: