Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golf
I'm just going to post a Golf thread, since we seem to have a bunch of them for certain tourneys.

Was nice to see Canadian Corey Conners finish 2nd on the weekend. It was the lesser of the two tournaments going on, but still nice to see just the same. I don't know him, but he grew up just 10 minutes from where I live. With limited status last year, he just missed getting his full card, finishing 130th in the FedEx Cup (Top 125 get full status). This finish gives him almost half of his total last year already. Hopefully he can take advantage and get a full card for 2020. 

PS - The media keeps saying he's from Listowel. He's not. He's from Palmerston. Didn't move to Listowel until he was 14. Just did all his golfing in Listowel growing up. From what I've been told, his dad is/was hardcore. The basement of there house was basically dedicated to his game from like age 10 on. Also been told Corey's wife is a teacher, and she's trying to get a job on tour as one. I guess the PGA provides teachers for the players kids travelling with them. They were hoping that might get him into a few more tournaments with his limited status. 

PPS - I golfed 18 today. Latest I've ever golfed. Far cry from my round Sunday (which was in worse conditions, go figure). Hoping to go again on Saturday morning but we'll see. Anybody else still teeing it up? I'm sure some courses must still be open in Southern Ontario yet.
Thanks given by:
Anybody see the final round by Xander Schauffele yesterday? 2 hole outs for eagle for a final round 11 under par 62 (tied course record) to win the tournament. He was 5 back to start the day and beat 3rd round leader Gary Woodland by 1. Woodland had a 3 shot lead going into the round over the field, and shoots 5 under, and loses lol.
Thanks given by:
Corey Conners finished tied for 3rd at the Sony Open on the weekend, puts him up to 19th in the FedEx Cup Standings right now. With that result (along with his 2nd place finish earlier this year), he's done a lot to securing a full card for next year. 1 more Top 10 might do it for him.
Thanks given by:
Justin Rose is the first #1 player to play in this weekend's event, The Desert Classic, since the event began in 1986.

It's also the only event to ever had 2 sub 60 rounds, David Duval and Adam Hadwin both shot 59's in it.

Today, in his first competitive round since the Tiger vs Phil matchup, Phil shot a 60. It's the lowest under par round of his career.

So needless to say, Phil has the 1st round lead, 3 shots over Adam Long. 5 over Hadwin who is in 4th and obviously, likes this course.

Fellow Canadian Adam Svensson is 6 shots back and in the Top 10 currently too.

There's actually 8 Canadians in the field, and they all shot under par in the first round, Weir and Conners are the only 2 not making the cut currently though.
Thanks given by:
Great week by Hadwin but unfortunately couldn't bring it home. Nerves perhaps. His final 9 was his worst 9 holes of his tournament and Long sinks the birdie to knock of Hadwin and Phil.

Hadwin tied for 2nd.
Sloan tied for 12th.
Svensson tied for 18th.
Thanks given by:
Huge win by Connors. The last chance for anyone to qualify for the Master, he had to qualify for the tournament and he did that, than goes onto win the whole thing to get his invite.
Great moment for CDN golf.
Thanks given by: thebest41587 , thebest41587 , Viable
Great moment for PALMERSTON Ontario!
Thanks given by:
Awesome win for Connors! Crazy final round getting a 4 shot lead, blowing it only to come right back with some clutch shots to finish it off. Well done!
Thanks given by:
Only had 4 pars the whole round. What a turnaround on the back after 4 bogeys in a row on the front.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-07, 10:41 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: Great moment for PALMERSTON Ontario!

On the telecast, they said he was from Listowel.....  good ol' yankees.
Thanks given by:
He has a place in Listowel and went to high school there, but actually didn't move to Listowel until he was 14. Palmerston doesn't have a golf course so he did go to Listowel to golf, but he's lived more than half his life in Palmerston so far, just a pet peeve of mine.
Thanks given by:
Expecting Conners to at least make the cut this week. He was low amateur at the Masters back in 2015, but didn't make the cut so didn't qualify to win the award officially. Him and Moe Norman are the only Canadians to play the Masters as amateurs and professionals.
Thanks given by:
So Two Canadians teeing off at the Master - Weir & Conners.

Probably a bit disappointing for Hadwin as he had a good start to the year but couldn't keep it going to try and get in the top 50.

Would be good to see Conners make the cut. Would be good to see Weir not in last but wouldn't hold my breathe.
Thanks given by:
Well, well. Weir is actually at even par and should have a good shot at the cut. Conners with a great round at -2. Both with opening rounds to setup themselves up for some weekend golf. -6 is the leader.
Thanks given by:
Conners at -4, within 3 of the lead.  Haven’t seen a single shot on TV.  Meanwhile we see a birdie from Ian Woosnam to take him to +11.
Thanks given by:
This has the making of one of the greatest masters. So many great players in contention.
Thanks given by:
TIGER WOODS solo leader with 3 holes left wooooo
Thanks given by:
Chance for birdie to take 2 shot lead at Masters
Thanks given by:
There we go!!! 2 holes left with 2 shot lead, come on Tiger!!
Thanks given by:
14 to 1 odds prior to round 1, someone bets around 85000 to win 1.2 million on Tiger
Thanks given by: