Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guys who deserved a Cup but did not get one.
Giordano
Monohan
Gaudreau

Edit: Sorry, was just answering the "did not get a cup" part.
Thanks given by: Highstyx
Ryan Smyth, Jarome Iginla, Borje Salming, Peter Stastny, Andrei Markov, Trevor Linden.
Thanks given by:
Maybe the elder statesmen of the forum can clear this up for me. I'm too young to have seen Dionne play, but I've been told that he was a very selfish player would also whine to get assists. Is that accurate or overblown?
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-08, 01:06 AM)Whattagame Wrote: Maybe the elder statesmen of the forum can clear this up for me.  I'm too young to have seen Dionne play, but I've been told that he was a very selfish player would also whine to get assists.  Is that accurate or overblown?

First I have ever heard of it. By all indications he was a very well liked player and teammate. In any interview I ever saw he always appeared happy with a great sense of humour.
If by selfish you mean he liked to carry the puck and shoot...the man had 731 goals and over 1000 assists, so I would say that his judgement on when to shoot vs when to pass was pretty damned sound. 
He was a regular for Team canada in the 70''s and early 80s.
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."     Oscar Wilde
Thanks given by: Whattagame
(2019-01-08, 01:06 AM)Whattagame Wrote: Maybe the elder statesmen of the forum can clear this up for me.  I'm too young to have seen Dionne play, but I've been told that he was a very selfish player would also whine to get assists.  Is that accurate or overblown?

Never heard this before.
I've been obnoxious....I've been unconscious....I've been all kinds of things that are hard to spell.

Stephen Bruton
Thanks given by: Whattagame
You might be thinking of the once great Gilbert Dion
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by:
I always felt bad for Pat LaFontaine. One of the greatest Islanders of all-time, breaking in just after the dynasty ended. Always seemed like a classy gent.
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx
(2019-01-08, 02:29 AM)Lagavulin Wrote:

First I have ever heard of it. By all indications he was a very well liked player and teammate. In any interview I ever saw he always appeared happy with a great sense of humour.
If by selfish you mean he liked to carry the puck and shoot...the man had 731 goals and over 1000 assists, so I would say that his judgement on when to shoot vs when to pass was pretty damned sound. 
He was a regular for Team canada in the 70''s and early 80s.

The stories I was told weren't about being a shoot first player or not passing.  It was more that he was concerned about padding his stats over winning games - not that the two are mutually exclusive.  One story was about the year he tied Gretzky for the points lead, and he was constantly lobbying scorekeepers to add assists, or ensure he got credit for goals.  He ultimately won the Art Ross due to having more goals despite being tied in points.  

Again, not sure if it's true, but since I didn't see him play, I wanted to ask.
Thanks given by:
Mats Sundin....there I said it
Thanks given by:
Ryan Smyth might be the only person in NHL history to request a trade TO the Oilers. For that reason alone, he did not deserve to win a Cup.   Wink
Thanks given by: Fritz

Absolute and total nonsense. The man had more than one 70+ assists season. OVERBLOWN, probably from someone who was an Oiler fan in 1982 when they blew a 5-0 lead into the third and lost 6-5 in overtime.. Game 7. I was in Edmonton at the time. Fun season. The whole city was in shock.

I seen Huddy and Calligan on the bikes ten or so days after that (Fitness center S. Side of Edmonton.. at the last hotel heading out of town), and didn't even know what to say to them.. so just said, 'Come on you guys, PUSH it. Sather sent me to keep an eye on ya'

Kings were an under rated team. Game one of that series ended at 10-9 L.A.K. might have been 11-10. 37 years ago, eh? I was oh so young .. 37! So young.

It was Garry Unger's last season in the NHL. Laurie Boschman was the next 3 line C, then MacTee
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by: