Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Habs have extended a training camp invite to Simon Després
Rainbow 
I think this is a solid move. If he's past his concussion issues, he could be a decent addition.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
Yeah I read that this morning. Didn't wan't to post it because the thread will be derailed on how Bergevin only acquires puds, is an idiot and wears purple.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 11:52 AM)bchippie Wrote: Yeah I read that this morning. Didn't wan't to post it because the thread will be derailed on how Bergevin only acquires puds, is an idiot and wears purple.

Thanks for picking up the slack for us this morning...
Thanks given by:
Can't go wrong with 'could be decent'.

Ladies and gentlemen, the new franchise goal for your 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens, hockey's most storied franchise.

We can sell T-shirts, along with the 'I Never Said Now' ones...

#couldbedecent #Ineversaidnow #derailedyet?
Thanks given by: Faceman , Faceman
He showed alot of promise both in Pittsburgh and Anaheim. His concussion issues were serious though.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/s...m-imminent
Thanks given by:
Després should retire. I wonder how damaged his brain already is.
Thanks given by: GloryYrs70s
(2018-07-12, 12:08 PM)bchippie Wrote: He showed alot of promise both in Pittsburgh and Anaheim. His concussion issues were serious though.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/s...m-imminent

He played 44 games in the KHL last year and I think he was symptom-free. If they do give him a contract, I'm thinking it'll be incentive-laden. He's from Laval and has indicated his interest in playing there.

Anyways...wouldn't be a contract that would make or break our cap.
Thanks given by:
Teams need to start cutting guys like this off from playing any longer.
Thanks given by: GloryYrs70s
(2018-07-12, 12:47 PM)Bong13 Wrote: Teams need to start cutting guys like this off from playing any longer.

Why do teams need to do that when the NHLPA doesn't?
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 12:47 PM)Bong13 Wrote: Teams need to start cutting guys like this off from playing any longer.

Guys like Crosby?
Thanks given by: Captain aHab , Captain aHab
(2018-07-12, 12:02 PM)RightNyder Wrote: Can't go wrong with 'could be decent'.

Ladies and gentlemen, the new franchise goal for your 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens, hockey's most storied franchise.

I know about the "arsonist being allowed to rebuild" angle and I'm fine with that as an objection. What I'm thinking is that the arsonist has an expiry date on him which, with Weber's injury, is even more likely to be short-term to me. So many things have to go right for the Habs to make the playoffs that I think it impossible as of right now. So the arsonist is on borrowed time.

I guess one question I would have is: if Steve Yzerman had come in after the season and made the moves Bergie has made to date, would you be shitting all over him? i.e. is it the moves you have an issue with or the guy making them?
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 01:08 PM)Captain aHab Wrote:

I know about the "arsonist being allowed to rebuild" angle and I'm fine with that as an objection. What I'm thinking is that the arsonist has an expiry date on him which, with Weber's injury, is even more likely to be short-term to me. So many things have to go right for the Habs to make the playoffs that I think it impossible as of right now. So the arsonist is on borrowed time.

I guess one question I would have is: if Steve Yzerman had come in after the season and made the moves Bergie has made to date, would you be shitting all over him? i.e. is it the moves you have an issue with or the guy making them?

For many, Bergevin is a proven incompetent -- his track record and demonstrated (lack of) talent trump any move today that may be good/could-have-been-worse. Wanting him gone is much the same as a parliamentary vote of non-confidence being about the overall governance than any one piece of legislation.

Fans are now like Charlie Brown: they've been Lucy-ed so often that they want someone else holding the ball before they'll take another chance on kicking it.

So, yes, fans might be more optimistic if a new GM was making the same moves after replacing Bergevin and washing away the sour taste of six seasons. Firing Bergevin won't make the Habs contenders this season, but it would restore hope, without the lingering fear that the moves being made today won't be completely fumbled down the road, which is what they've come to expect from Bergevin.
Thanks given by:

Unfortunately its difficult not to agree with this, the PA should be doing the same. I actually thought he did retire, I hadn't realized he was playing in the KHL. 

Hopefully he can stay healthy, whether he makes the team or not or whether he plays in the NHL or not. This is indeed some serious stuff and at some point there will have to be risk thresholds in place. Hopefully soon modern medicine can better define and precaution on concussion risks and consequences with continuing play
Thanks given by:
I recall the name, not the player tho

Seems big and low offense so I will guess a stay at home like maybe Benn? Its a "pro contract tryout". So does that mean if he is signed it will be a 1 way deal (ie same $ no matter where he plays?)

Obviously he needs to make the team first, either ahl or nhl...but if he does, do we not have a few top many D bodies? I know most are #4-8 type dman (including the young guns who still need to develop thier nhl game). We are missing top end talent (outside of Weber #1 and Petry a #3 we r low in top end talent
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 12:51 PM)Guy Smiley Wrote:

Guys like Crosby?

Slippery slope, innit?

Should professional athletes be protected from their inner "The Wrestler", or should we do as the Romans do and let them die honourable gladiator deaths--even if that translates in contemporary times to early onset dementia, depression and suicide, which are arguably much less glamorous than, say, a beheading or lion pit?

I guess so long as boxing and MMA stuff are still legal, there isn't much of a case to be made for barring players with concussion issues from playing pro hockey. It personally makes me queasy that a guy would be willing to sacrifice his mind and body for my entertainment, but I acknowledge that it's his right to do so and I can always just not watch if I'm so morally overwrought about it.

That said, it's interesting that it's still considered socially acceptable to abuse yourself to the point of requiring round-the-clock medical care, when this is often used a key moral argument against the decriminalization of hard drug use. Fun stuff!
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 01:30 PM)johnnylarue Wrote:

Guys like Crosby?

Slippery slope, innit?

Should professional athletes be protected from their inner "The Wrestler", or should we do as the Romans do and let them die honourable gladiator deaths--even if that translates in contemporary times to early onset dementia, depression and suicide, which are arguably much less glamorous than, say, a beheading or lion pit?

I guess so long as boxing and MMA stuff are still legal, there isn't much of a case to be made for barring players with concussion issues from playing pro hockey. It personally makes me queasy that a guy would be willing to sacrifice his mind and body for my entertainment, but I acknowledge that it's his right to do so and I can always just not watch if I'm so morally overwrought about it.

That said, it's interesting that it's still considered socially acceptable to abuse yourself to the point of requiring round-the-clock medical care, when this is often used a key moral argument against the decriminalization of hard drug use. Fun stuff!
Educate them as much as possible both by the NHL and PA on the situation and leave the decision to the athlete.
Thanks given by: johnnylarue , johnnylarue , labradorcongo
(2018-07-12, 01:30 PM)johnnylarue Wrote:

Guys like Crosby?

Slippery slope, innit?

Around the time of the Ben Johnson clusterfuck, there was a survey made of top (I think it was track) athletes, with one question:

If we could give you a drug today that is 100% undetectable, 100% guaranteed to give you a gold medal in your event, and 100% guaranteed to kill you in 10 years, would you take it? The responses were overwhelmingly favourable. The glory of the win trumps health issues for a lot of top athletes. I don't understand it but I'm not a top athlete.

Look, last year in the NFL, Russell Wilson, QB of the Seahawks who is young, rich, bright and has already won a Superbowl, got hit in the head and was shown on the sidelines clearly pissed off about having to go in the concussion tent where he barely touched his ass to the stool and got back up to play. These guys know their brains might get scrambled but they live for the thrill.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 01:29 PM)Habituated Wrote:

For many, Bergevin is a proven incompetent -- his track record and demonstrated (lack of) talent trump any move today that may be good/could-have-been-worse. Wanting him gone is much the same as a parliamentary vote of non-confidence being about the overall governance than any one piece of legislation.

Fans are now like Charlie Brown: they've been Lucy-ed so often that they want someone else holding the ball before they'll take another chance on kicking it.

So, yes, fans might be more optimistic if a new GM was making the same moves after replacing Bergevin and washing away the sour taste of six seasons. Firing Bergevin won't make the Habs contenders this season, but it would restore hope, without the lingering fear that the moves being made today won't be completely fumbled down the road, which is what they've come to expect from Bergevin.

I'm not overly worried that he would make win-now moves once the season starts as I don't think the Habs will come anywhere close to a playoff spot, Price being tired or not. And if they don't improve much, I think Bergie is gone.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 01:47 PM)Captain aHab Wrote:
(2018-07-12, 01:29 PM)Habituated Wrote:

I'm not overly worried that he would make win-now moves once the season starts as I don't think the Habs will come anywhere close to a playoff spot, Price being tired or not. And if they don't improve much, I think Bergie is gone.

Bergevin is likely on a short leash when it comes to making deals, though the Pacioretty situation is already a clusterphuck that reeks of potential failure, but development and organizational culture are also big concerns.

Some of the draft picks, none of them top quality, have to develop well beyond expectations if the team's fortunes are to turn around. Gallagher was the last of that kind, and he's not a Bergevin draftee.
Thanks given by:

The guy making them. 

Others make the good point in here about being more optimistic about moves if it was indeed someone else in charge.

I don't mind giving Simon Despres a shot (I'd hope for his sake he's not another Mushmelon), because there's nothing to lose. But 'nothing to lose' and 'could be decent' have become our mantras. 

I like the Joel Armia move. Could be decent. Don't mind the Peca signing. Nothing to lose. But this is a big picture thing. And, big picture, you can't have an arsonist building your house. 

King, Martinsen, Ott, DSP, Benn, Briere, Davidson, Tangradi, RDS, Allen, Thomas, Lessio, Parros, Dubnyk, Drewiske, Cracknell, Nesterov, Jerabek, Sekac, Flynn, Kassian, Gonchar, Weaver, Mitchell and on and on.

Everything is 'could be decent'. But what is being accomplished? Meantime, you're dealing your Norris Trophy-winning playoff stud for a guy who's four years older; replacing your best forward with another winger (at the cost of your top 1LHD prospect), then shoehorning him in at centre, and trading your talented, suit-splashing No. 3 overall pick for a gritty, two-time nine-goal winger. You've also pissed off your captain and given a goalie with a 25-31 playoff record and who was the 64th-best goalie in hockey last year a bazillion dollars through age 74. 

The stated goal is mediocrity, the go-to method of communication is dismissiveness and obfuscation.

So yeah, at the risk of repeating myself, which is the fun part, it's the guy. 

So yeah, at the risk of repeating myself, which is the fun part, it's the guy. 

Remember when he burned the house down in 2016? Remember the panic beard? Well, didn't it appear he learned a little bit then, turned his homework in a year late, making moves like adding Radulov and getting a real backup?

Then promptly reverted to form, losing Radulov and Markov, remaking the defence in his own image and burned the house down again.

This is why I can't get wildly excited about any series of 'could be decent' moves. I can say "yeah, I like that move" but is there really any big picture impact?

Someone else made the good point about the real problem with MB not being reaction from the Pollys, who will always look for the positive in each move, or the Nellies, who will whinge about everything, but the vast majority of those in the middle, who may fall into the Meh Zone and just stop paying attention. Hope is the key part of retaining that attention. 

And hope is harder to come by when the same guy is still over in the corner, playing with his matches.

[Image: latest?cb=20100516070521]
Thanks given by: