Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardcore religious
I can handle a lot of things, put up with stuff.  But one thing I just cannot handle is hardcore religious fanatics.

Those who will follow word for word, has no voice of their own, everything they say about it comes directly from the book.

All they ever seem to talk about is jesus and God and preach to everyone.

I have a sign on my door saying no soliciting, includes religious people but in the past before my own place occasionally they'd come to the door I would just act like I wasnt home.  

I guess they make me extremely uncomfortable, I want to tell them they're incapable of having their own voice, their own thoughts on this.
cfl
Thanks given by:
Well, some very branches of religion that are literal/fundamentalist are going to take the evangelization part of things very seriously. I don't think there is anything wrong with choosing to not engage with everyone at the door.
Thanks given by:
So tell them then.
Liberty And Justice For Most.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-12, 10:52 AM)cflisthebest Wrote: I can handle a lot of things, put up with stuff.  But one thing I just cannot handle is hardcore religious fanatics.

Those who will follow word for word, has no voice of their own, everything they say about it comes directly from the book.

All they ever seem to talk about is jesus and God and preach to everyone.

I have a sign on my door saying no soliciting, includes religious people but in the past before my own place occasionally they'd come to the door I would just act like I wasnt home.  

I guess they make me extremely uncomfortable, I want to tell them they're incapable of having their own voice, their own thoughts on this.

That is not really restricted to religion. It applies to politics, law, life. 

For example, you comment about how you follow the letter of the law, regardless of its effect or value. The law is the law. I could say that you are incapable of having your own thoughts when it comes to the value of a law. You also vote Liberal because that was who your dad voted for, not because they are a party you purposefully chose to support. You don't have your own political thoughts. 

I am the same. When it comes to studdying law, I consider myself to be a critical thinker. That is a reflection of the school of Critical legal Studies. These are not my own thoughts. They are thoughts that I have studied and happen to agree with and support. I vote Conservative. Why? Well, if we are going to be honest, it is because my dad is a staunch Conservative and I grew up in a Conservative household. We have branched off into different schools of thought. I am a far less radical conservative, but that is a result of my university education influencing my thoughts. 

So, really, none of us are capable of having our own thoughts because our thoughts are a result of external influence and, to an extent, some form of indoctrination.

Even the above conclusion is not my own thought. It is just an individualized regurgitation of something I have heard stated somewhere at some time.
Thanks given by: