Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hockey ops shake up
https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouv...-299380552

Canucks announce new hockey operations roles
...Cloutier and Jarvis change roles, Clark returns to Vancouver
by Canucks Media Relations @Canucks / Vancouver Canucks
11:33 AM Share

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks President, Hockey Operations Trevor Linden announced new roles within the Hockey Operations team today. Dan Cloutier was named Director of Goaltending, Doug Jarvis named Senior Advisor and Ian Clark returns as Goaltending Coach.

"I'm excited about the changes we've made to our Hockey Operations staff," said Linden. "We emphasize forward-thinking in every area of our team and when you combine the talent and experience of this group with that progressive mindset, we're optimistic about the future."

Dan Cloutier is responsible for goaltending staff and players at the NHL, AHL and prospect level. He will support scouting, player acquisition and work in partnership with Ian Clark to train and develop Canucks goaltenders. Cloutier joined the Canucks organization six years ago as Player Development Consultant and spent the past two seasons as Goaltending Coach. Over a 10-year playing career with Vancouver, the New York Rangers, Tampa Bay and Los Angeles Cloutier produced a record of 139-142-33, including 15 shutouts and a 2.77 GAA.

Doug Jarvis will consult with Canucks coaching staff, management and AHL affiliate, Utica Comets as a Senior Advisor. His coaching career spans 28 years and follows a 13-year NHL playing career. A six-time Stanley Cup champion, Jarvis won four times as a player with Montreal and twice as an assistant coach with Dallas (1999) and Boston (2011). Jarvis continues to hold the NHL iron man record with 964 consecutive games played - never missing a game his entire NHL career. He recorded 403 career points (139-264-403) with Montreal, Washington and Hartford. In 1984 Jarvis won the Selke Trophy as the NHL's top defensive forward before receiving the Masterton Trophy for perseverance and dedication in 1987.

Ian Clark rejoins the organization after seven seasons with the Columbus Blue Jackets. A Vancouver native, Clark was a member of the Canucks coaching staff from 2002-10. He has worked on Team Canada's coaching staff at World Junior Championships from 2003-06, winning silver in 2003 and 2004 and gold in 2005 and 2006. He also served as a consultant for the Florida Panthers in 2001.02 and Sweden's MoDo Hockey club. In addition to coaching, Clark founded the Goaltender Development Institute and served as technical author of From the Crease between 1998-2003 and The Goalie News from 2003-08.

Manny Malhotra's role as Assistant Coach will evolve with the announcement of Jarvis being named Special Advisor. His responsibilities will increase and continue include a special focus on the development of young players. Curtis Sanford will continue to work as Player Development Goaltending Consultant with the Utica Comets and Scott Walker will move to a full-time capacity as Director Player Development under the guidance of Ryan Johnson, Utica Comets General Manager and Sr. Director, Player Development.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't really sound like a shake up. Just broadening there roles and bringing in more help.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Not much really here other than the rehire of Ian Clark. That's a step in the right direction, lord knows the goaltending in this org HAS to improve.
Thanks given by:
We havnt had a real goalie in awhile.

But that being said we need the best goalie coach we can find considering we have 2 of the best goalie prospects on there way to the Nhl.

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-03, 09:14 PM)Sasquatch Wrote: We havnt had a real goalie in awhile.

But that being said we need the best goalie coach we can find considering we have 2 of the best goalie prospects on there way to the Nhl.

You need to get out more Squatch....... Laugh .    Other than bumbling coaches and management we had enviable goalies for the longest time.      Coaches and management took stupid pills and mishandled every single one of them.  

Check out 7albot or the string of bums running around the Flames net the last few years for real goalies......or the Leafs or Sens and many, many others.  

But I do agree about 2 of the best prospects and I believe this is why Clarke is brought back.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by:
And here i thought Linden resigned, Benning was named chief scout and Mark Hunter was named GM...... Sad
Thanks given by:
Keep dreaming Kahuna! Lol

I'm actually wondering if this "promotion" for Cloutier was actually a demotion. Let's be honest, the goaltending has been weak on this team since Clark left. If the Nucks saw an opportunity to bring in a guy with Clarks pedigree as a full time coach, they gotta do something with Cloutier.

New title, less hands on and more of a figurehead. Upon reflection, it sounds to me like Clouts was replaced without firing.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-04, 07:06 PM)KahunaBaby Wrote: And here i thought Linden resigned, Benning was named chief scout and Mark Hunter was named GM...... Sad

agree with getting someone who can run a franchise better by moving linden

but you cannot demote benning, if his contract was up tomorrow he would be snapped up by another team before you knew it

benning is still a bit wet behind the ears as head GM, fans need to be patient and let him learn his job, would we all prefer he makes his mistakes when this is a near last place club, or would we prefer he make them when this club is close to becoming a top contender???

it goes beyond having arguably the single best scout in hockey, take into consideration that the rest of the scouts are probably learning from him what it is they are looking for in a player and by the time benning has been here 7 - 10 years this is going to pay off huge dividends at all corners of the globe
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by: Highstyx
(2018-07-07, 03:36 PM)binder Wrote:
(2018-07-04, 07:06 PM)KahunaBaby Wrote: And here i thought Linden resigned, Benning was named chief scout and Mark Hunter was named GM...... Sad

but you cannot demote benning, if his contract was up tomorrow he would be snapped up by another team before you knew it

benning is still a bit wet behind the ears as head GM, fans need to be patient and let him learn his job, would we all prefer he makes his mistakes when this is a near last place club, or would we prefer he make them when this club is close to becoming a top contender???

it goes beyond having arguably the single best scout in hockey, take into consideration that the rest of the scouts are probably learning from him what it is they are looking for in a player and by the time benning has been here 7 - 10 years this is going to pay off huge dividends at all corners of the globe

I think Jim Benning is a sharp hockey mind and has an eye for talent. But i'm not sure about the management signs of things.

He has given away far too many draft picks, hasn't had a great trade track record, and spends far too much money on free agents.

Right now we have far too many bottom six forwards and not enough top six forwards. I am willing to see how things play out but if this is our opening nights roster i'm going to be shaking my head.

Also i'm very much on board with Benning continuing on for the next couple of seasons and then making a household changes and bring in a different management team to retool.
Thanks given by:

News Headlines can fool ya.
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-07, 06:48 PM)KahunaBaby Wrote:

I think Jim Benning is a sharp hockey mind and has an eye for talent. But i'm not sure about the management signs of things.

He has given away far too many draft picks, hasn't had a great trade track record, and spends far too much money on free agents.

Right now we have far too many bottom six forwards and not enough top six forwards. I am willing to see how things play out but if this is our opening nights roster i'm going to be shaking my head.

Also i'm very much on board with Benning continuing on for the next couple of seasons and then making a household changes and bring in a different management team to retool.

Only read dud move I see is the signing of Loui. Not nuts about Pouliot, but I like Sautner and Liepsic. Getting Sutter was imo a good move too. I don't know why you are talking about re tooling, unless you are referring to new guys like Lind, Lockwood, EP, and Gajdaovich taking roster spots. So Bear gets moved.. for a late pick.. Granlund too, if one of the newer guys makes the grade

Sure hope Archibald sticks
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-07, 09:19 PM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2018-07-07, 06:48 PM)KahunaBaby Wrote:

Only read dud move I see is the signing of Loui. Not nuts about Pouliot, but I like Sautner and Liepsic. Getting Sutter was imo a good move too. I don't know why you are talking about re tooling, unless you are referring to new guys like Lind, Lockwood, EP, and Gajdaovich taking roster spots. So Bear gets moved.. for a late pick.. Granlund too, if one of the newer guys makes the grade

Sure hope Archibald sticks

You should go back and look at Bennings complete body of work and not just cherry pick. You might not like what you see.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-08, 05:02 PM)KahunaBaby Wrote: You should go back and look at Bennings complete body of work and not just cherry pick. You might not like what you see.

after his 1st 2 seasons there isn't a lot to pick at

most of the top clubs spent upawards of 7+ seasons to get to where they are, that is not mentioning how many clubs that are past that point and still have no real success to point too

benning is so far ahead of these other gm's after 4 seasons, and ya that is a bumpable quote Wink  

my personal opinion of the rebuild is it started after the playoff loss to the flames in 2015, that is when the true rebuild began IMO, even tho benning still tried to salvage what was left of the club at the time, and those attempts I think, are on ownership not benning, who I believe was ready to rip it down when he got here
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-08, 05:16 PM)binder Wrote:
(2018-07-08, 05:02 PM)KahunaBaby Wrote: You should go back and look at Bennings complete body of work and not just cherry pick. You might not like what you see.

most of the top clubs spent upawards of 7+ seasons to get to where they are, that is not mentioning how many clubs that are past that point and still have no real success to point too

benning is so far ahead of these other gm's after 4 seasons, and ya that is a bumpable quote Wink  

my personal opinion of the rebuild is it started after the playoff loss to the flames in 2015, that is when the true rebuild began IMO, even tho benning still tried to salvage what was left of the club at the time, and those attempts I think, are on ownership not benning, who I believe was ready to rip it down when he got here

Disagree, i think it started with the Burrows and Hansen trades and the team has done a decent job in rebuilding after those two trades.

But prior to that it wasn't great. The Ericson signing, Gudbrandson trade, even the Prust trade are a few transactions the team would like to have back i think.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-08, 05:55 PM)KahunaBaby Wrote:

Disagree, i think it started with the Burrows and Hansen trades and the team has done a decent job in rebuilding after those two trades.

But prior to that it wasn't great. The Ericson signing, Gudbrandson trade, even the Prust trade are a few transactions the team would like to have back i think.

While those trades worked out well, the Canucks waited way to long long on other players to get a maximum return in picks for declining assets. The freaking Leafs got 2nd rounders for the Roman the plug Polak and essentially a first rounder for Cody Franson. 

Then think about the return that the Leafs got on signing tier 2 or tier 3 guys like Grabner and Winnik only to dump them later in the season for a healthy return. 

I would love to have Jannik Hansen back at $650,000 to trade him near the deadline. The very same Cody Franson is still unsigned. Both players would be ULTRA cheap with zero risk but if they work out the reward would be high.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-09, 04:00 PM)topgun Wrote:
(2018-07-08, 05:55 PM)KahunaBaby Wrote:

While those trades worked out well, the Canucks waited way to long long on other players to get a maximum return in picks for declining assets. The freaking Leafs got 2nd rounders for the Roman the plug Polak and essentially a first rounder for Cody Franson. 

Then think about the return that the Leafs got on signing tier 2 or tier 3 guys like Grabner and Winnik only to dump them later in the season for a healthy return. 

I would love to have Jannik Hansen back at $650,000 to trade him near the deadline. The very same Cody Franson is still unsigned. Both players would be ULTRA cheap with zero risk but if they work out the reward would be high.
top, I think the days of remarkable returns for deadline plugs is fading as GMs catch on. We saw it last year with fewer garbage-for-picks trades and Benning didn't get much for Vanek either. 
Hansen is a mystery, he went to near zero in San Jose but maybe he was just misused by their coach. The Canucks no longer have a spot for him anyway.
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
I would say the rebuild was late, the writing was on the wall. However, you never know what the real situation was, whether it was players who wouldn’t waive, or maybe there was no market for these players. That’s what happens when the last person in the league to know that a rebuild was inevitable is the very organization trying to rebuild.

As for the leafs and their rebuild with 2nd and third tier free agents is not a fair comparison. The leafs were in a time when teams would trade picks all day for that one player that puts them over the top. GMs have wised up to that and nobody is giving away picks anymore. The market has shifted.

As for Jannik, his time is done, and we don’t have room for him even if we did sign him. It’s just not realistic.
Thanks given by: