Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Really Hate The Cap
I have been waiting a long time to see my team be so good, so skilled....and seeing our players at the top of the page on scoring leaders in NHL and a couple of guys getting put up with the elite players of the game.

So I find it so annoying that analysis of hockey becomes less about what is happening on the ice and the immediate and more about money, Cap issues,and possible dismantling of talent so soon after we just built it up.

Anyway we deserve to have our time as a powerhouse——a Man United, Real Madrid, Yankees, Golden State etc etc.

It just bugs me the NHL has such a hard cap with no luxury tax that would allow for dynasties and keep teams together longer.  If you have a great organization; why should you be a feeder system for franchises that are poorly run or who are underfunded and don’t belong.

Ahh, I feel better getting that off my chest. I just want to enjoy my Leafs without all this talk of who we lose because of the cap Happy
Thanks given by:
I have ALWAYS hated the Salary Cap.

It was only put in place to save stupid owners from themselves and support non-viable teams in non-viable markets.
Thanks given by:
Everyone hates it, hawks, Pens, Kings, heck even Ottawa when we had to pick between Chara and Redden Sad
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
They don't want the Dynasties. They want Parody.
They want a different cup winner every year, ideally.

Us as leaf fans of course we don't want a cap now.
But when we didn't have a cap, we couldn't buy a cup then either.
Albeit we have better management now, but still.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
If there was no cap leafs wouldn't have Matthews or Marner or a lot of other young players. We would still be building a team of middle of the road bets. Good enough to get into the playoffs but not good enough to win.
Thanks given by:
I like the cap. Puts more emphasis on good management/drafting/etc, and less on simply having the ability to spend extra money to get out of a problem.
Thanks given by:
Cap issues have just started for the Leafs. JVR is gone because of the cap . Next year who knows?
Thanks given by:
Well you'd better accept it because it ain't going anywhere. It is the hardest cap in professional sports. It punishes teams for drafting well. The owners wanted cost certainty. They got it... and this is the product.
Thanks given by:
I don't hate the cap, I like it for the most part. It's best for the overall health of the league. Having said that, it's too hard of a cap. Teams should be allowed to go over to a certain degree and just pay a luxury tax. A little tinkering is needed but the NHL will NEVER EVER go for it
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 04:09 PM)bchippie Wrote: I don't hate the cap, I like it for the most part. It's best for the overall health of the league. Having said that, it's too hard of a cap. Teams should be allowed to go over to a certain degree and just pay a luxury tax. A little tinkering is needed but the NHL will NEVER EVER go for it

Agreed. 

I would LOVE to see a 10 percent cap relief bonus for resigning your own drafted players. That rewards smart drafting and still provides the NHL with the parody that it loves so very much.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 03:50 PM)duediligence Wrote: Cap issues have just started for the Leafs. JVR  is gone because of the cap . Next year who knows?

JVR is gone because there wasn't a need for him anymore. JT replaces everything JVR brought to this team. Plus he brings so much more.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 02:20 PM)Chip Wrote: They don't want the Dynasties. They want Parody.

Ha! Great Freudian slip.

It's SO true that artificial parity amounts to nothing more than a cheap parody of true athletic competition where the best man (or team) wins.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 04:13 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 04:09 PM)bchippie Wrote: I don't hate the cap, I like it for the most part. It's best for the overall health of the league. Having said that, it's too hard of a cap. Teams should be allowed to go over to a certain degree and just pay a luxury tax. A little tinkering is needed but the NHL will NEVER EVER go for it

Agreed. 

I would LOVE to see a 10 percent cap relief bonus for resigning your own drafted players. That rewards smart drafting and still provides the NHL with the parody that it loves so very much.

That would be great if the mil did that.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 04:17 PM)Wulfgar85 Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 03:50 PM)duediligence Wrote: Cap issues have just started for the Leafs. JVR  is gone because of the cap . Next year who knows?

JVR is gone because there wasn't a need for him anymore. JT replaces everything JVR brought to this team. Plus he brings so much more.

The point is that with no cap that the Leafs could have had JVR and JT
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 04:36 PM)duediligence Wrote:

Anybody could have anybody if there was no cap. You don't think that players would be literally lining up to play in Tampa right now if there was no cap? In a tax friendly State to boot? 

Bottom line for me is.... It is better now than it was, but it could be improved with some effort on both sides. I just don't see it happening. But then again, in the last CBA teams could not retain portions of salary either.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 04:43 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:

Anybody could have anybody if there was no cap. You don't think that players would be literally lining up to play in Tampa right now if there was no cap? In a tax friendly State to boot? 

Bottom line for me is.... It is better now than it was, but it could be improved with some effort on both sides. I just don't see it happening. But then again, in the last CBA teams could not retain portions of salary either.

That is not true. No cap in baseball and the rich teams get 95% of the top free agents. Toronto could outbid all but 4 or 5 teams.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 04:50 PM)duediligence Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 04:43 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:

That is not true. No cap in baseball and the rich teams get 95% of the top free agents. Toronto could outbid all but 4 or 5 teams.

It is true. MLB has a "Competitive Balance Tax" This is the softest salary control system there is. Players pile on in MLB to get a ring. Not saying that would not happen in Toronto with the state of the current team. But, any team could literally have any player without a cap system. Players who want the big dough and a chance at a cup could choose much better tax friendly places to play over Toronto.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 04:18 PM)Wulfgar85 Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 04:13 PM)Trevorchef Wrote:

Agreed. 

That would be great if the mil did that.

That's actually a good idea. Could definitely see it encouraging teams to develop better drafting systems.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 03:41 PM)tmleafer Wrote: I like the cap. Puts more emphasis on good management/drafting/etc, and less on simply having the ability to spend extra money to get out of a problem.

Well there are Caps and then there are hard Caps.....big difference.

I think it is accurate to say that the NHL cap tends to punish teams that draft and develop successfully in the mid to long run.

I think the NBA cap offers more of what you speak of in fairness combined with an inhibitor to overspending.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 05:53 PM)CuttingEdge Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 03:41 PM)tmleafer Wrote: I like the cap. Puts more emphasis on good management/drafting/etc, and less on simply having the ability to spend extra money to get out of a problem.

Well there are Caps and then there are hard Caps.....big difference.

I think it is accurate to say that the NHL cap tends to punish teams that draft and develop successfully in the mid to long run.

I think the NBA cap offers more of what you speak of in fairness combined with an inhibitor to overspending.

Different game, different numbers, and a lot more TV money but, you are correct. The NBA does it right. I love the NBA cap structure and the max deal structure that they have in place.
Thanks given by: CuttingEdge