Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Melnyk needed a liver today:
This might be a bit of an insensitive topic but I'm really curious to see what other Sens fans think. The question is if Melnyk needed the liver transplant today/tomorrow instead of a couple of years ago, how would the reaction differ if at all?

At the end of the day we're all human beings, and sports comes further down the line in things that matter most in life but some people take their sports and teams pretty seriously and are willing to do some crazy stuff sometimes in the name of fandom. So would people/Sens fans be so quick to line up in order to donate their liver if Melnyk was in need today? The guy is pretty hated right now, and although many people would put their anger aside, I have a feeling that most Sens fans would take a more "hope he gets better but let someone else help" approach.

It's probably mean to say, but I think some Sens fans would let him die today compared to a few years back when he was still somewhat respected.
Thanks given by:
Question, was he able to jump the line (over Canadian residents) and get he liver because of his status as owner of an NHL club in Ottawa?
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-18, 06:04 PM)FashionPolice Wrote: Question, was he able to jump the line (over Canadian residents) and get he liver because of his status as owner of an NHL club in Ottawa?

No, he didn't jump any lines. Jumping lines would mean he received a liver from the hospital's organ donor list ahead of other patients. The fact he made it public was to get someone not on the donor list to give him a liver. Futhermore any patient who's waiting for an organ transplant can do what Melnyk did and ask the public to offer their help but let's be honest some average guy/girl who nobody knows isn't going to get the same attention as a Billionaire owner of your local NHL club.

So really if anything he did, he used being famous to his advantage and had all the tv and radio shows talking about his situation and got his message out to the country in mere days. But saying he jumped the line to get a liver ahead of someone less privileged is not true and unfair.
Thanks given by: FashionPolice , FashionPolice
Question should be does the donor regret it.
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-18, 07:21 PM)bchippie Wrote: Question should be does the donor regret it.

For all we know, the donor probably wasn't even a Sens fan. Maybe they were but there's a chance they weren't because at the time thousands of people lined up to be tested to see if they were even compatible with his blood type, whether or not they have a healthy liver or not etc. A ton of factors go into play with liver transplants so at one point random people who heard about him offered to help even though they weren't really Sens fans.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-18, 07:24 PM)Ryu65 Wrote:
(2018-09-18, 07:21 PM)bchippie Wrote: Question should be does the donor regret it.

For all we know, the donor probably wasn't even a Sens fan. Maybe they were but there's a chance they weren't because at the time thousands of people lined up to be tested to see if they were even compatible with his blood type, whether or not they have a healthy liver or not etc. A ton of factors go into play with liver transplants so at one point random people who heard about him offered to help even though they weren't really Sens fans.

The fact that he owns the teams imo was a factor that according to you there were thousands of people lining up to help. Now that he's come out as the true deuche bag that he is makes me wonder. Does that donor regret it.
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by:
I don't think I can truthfully answer this question. I'd want to meet him first and have a coffee with him.

Hockey is just a sport, but it can mean a lot of things to a community. Some people aren't able to have healthy outlets in life and having something like a sports team and turning it into a dumpster fire can really mess someone up. I'm just glad i learned how to deal with severe upsets in sports after the Spezza trade. Made me a better and happier hockey fan in general
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Is it possible to have Pierre Dorion negotiate the terms of this "give my liver to Melnyk" deal?

Based on his track record I feel as though I could probably end up with a healthier liver in return, a spleen or two, three lungs and a few million in cash.
Thanks given by: Stevie_Y , Lumbergh , Lumbergh