Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you thought leaf fans were mad sundin didnt waive
may be too little too late...but the Isle were laying a foundation to turn things around....having Lou take over...bringing in Trotz...rebuilding from the top down so to speak. And they had probably the best draft of any team. Regardless of what mess was built before Lou got there, the change was coming. I think Lou wanted Tavares to be the cornerstone of that.

I think Tavares wanted a chance to win sooner than later, and I think the chance to play for his home team was enough to lure him away, more than any ineptitude on the Isles part.
Thanks given by:
This is where salt levels being causing hallucinations:
Good grief.

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/news/eva...-islanders

"It's almost like he secretly hated the franchise and said, 'How can I hose them as much as I possibly can?" Roberts said. "Oh, I've got this great idea. So I'm going to basically whisper sweet nothings into the organization's ear, to the fans ears, about Belmont, and Brooklyn, and Long Island, and I'm going to wait as long as I possibly can. I'm going to have everybody come to me in LA like I'm a king, and I'm going to make it as painful as I can and then I'm going to leave. But don't worry, I'm going to write a nice letter.' Great! Thanks, bro!"
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-10, 07:35 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: This is where salt levels being causing hallucinations:
Good grief.

"It's almost like he secretly hated the franchise and said, 'How can I hose them as much as I possibly can?" Roberts said. "Oh, I've got this great idea. So I'm going to basically whisper sweet nothings into the organization's ear, to the fans ears, about Belmont, and Brooklyn, and Long Island, and I'm going to wait as long as I possibly can. I'm going to have everybody come to me in LA like I'm a king, and I'm going to make it as painful as I can and then I'm going to leave. But don't worry, I'm going to write a nice letter.' Great! Thanks, bro!"

In all honesty I can kind of see where they are coming from.

I was at the cottage hitting refresh on sportsnet on my phone on the dock from 12pm onward, when the news broke that Tavares had signed with Toronto I was in absolute disbelief.  I never thought it would come true.

But then 20 minutes later his tweet popped up with his photo sleeping as a kid in maple leafs everything saying he was gonna live his dream?  My first reaction was "ouch" for islanders fans and then "Dude... too soon." for Tavares.  

That ONE tweet alone just kicked the feet right out from under that Fanbase, and I honestly and truly do not blame them for feeling the way they do about his exit.  It feels vile.

Just imagine if Matthews was to do this to the Leafs when he becomes a UFA?  The CN Tower would get torn out of the ground and thrown into Lake Ontario from the rage-filled fans.

IMO his tweet was badly timed, cruel, stupid, and the product of a guy who was giddy to share his joy while a fan base was in the very very very early stages of mourning.  That's harsh.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-10, 08:05 AM)Lumbergh Wrote:
(2018-07-10, 07:35 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: This is where salt levels being causing hallucinations:
Good grief.

I was at the cottage hitting refresh on sportsnet on my phone on the dock from 12pm onward, when the news broke that Tavares had signed with Toronto I was in absolute disbelief.  I never thought it would come true.

But then 20 minutes later his tweet popped up with his photo sleeping as a kid in maple leafs everything saying he was gonna live his dream?  My first reaction was "ouch" for islanders fans and then "Dude... too soon." for Tavares.  

That ONE tweet alone just kicked the feet right out from under that Fanbase, and I honestly and truly do not blame them for feeling the way they do about his exit.  It feels vile.

Just imagine if Matthews was to do this to the Leafs when he becomes a UFA?  The CN Tower would get torn out of the ground and thrown into Lake Ontario from the rage-filled fans.

IMO his tweet was badly timed, cruel, stupid, and the product of a guy who was giddy to share his joy while a fan base was in the very very very early stages of mourning.  That's harsh.

I am half expecting that actually.

Not sure if he will resign an eight year contract now or just a bridge contract, either way, leave when a UFA.

I won't be at all surprised if he does not want to play in the States.

Good thing we have Tavares long term.
Thanks given by:
I think people vastly overstate the draw to playing where you grew up.

Tavares is literally the only marquee NHL free agent I can think of who specifically said "I wanted to live out my boyhood dream" and even then, I think that was far down the list of actual reasons why he signed here. Most guys either stay put, or go where they have the best chance to win. The Tavares situation was unique in that the place where he was had no realistic shot at it, and the Leafs did/do, and they had the cap space to sign him.

Dubas specifically said that a large part of convincing Tavares was the promise of playing alongside Matthews, Nylander and Marner...and I have no doubt that Dubas will come good on that.

If Matthews does return to Arizona, it won't be in the next decade. I have no doubt that he'll spend some of his off-season there, but he'll be a Leaf for a very, VERY long time.
Thanks given by:
I HOPE Matthews does have a long and productive career playing for the Leafs with several Stanley Cup rings on his fingers.

Not saying he will leave, just that I would not be surprised.
Thanks given by:
All you have to do is not completely mess it up to get your franchise player re-signed. The Islanders are the first team to do it.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-10, 05:43 PM)The Nemesis Wrote: All you have to do is not completely mess it up to get your franchise player re-signed. The Islanders are the first team to do it.

Good call. Garth Snow had years to get his shot together and kept up with the questionable moves. It’s not like JT jumped ship after 3 crappy years ! I feel no sympathy for the Isles or their fans ! And if the Leafs hoist the cup in the next 7 years then he made the right decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: Sportking
(2018-07-10, 09:21 AM)zapzac Wrote:
(2018-07-10, 08:05 AM)Lumbergh Wrote:
Good grief.

I am half expecting that actually.

Not sure if he will resign an eight year contract now or just a bridge contract, either way, leave when a UFA.

I won't be at all surprised if he does not want to play in the States.

Good thing we have Tavares long term.

The thing with Matthew's is he loves the game of hockey. It's pretty special to play with a historic team like the leafs. As long as they stay competitive I think the draw will always be there. If the team goes down the drain then absolutely he may look to go home
Thanks given by:
Bobby Orr put an end to this nonsense on Sunday..he said this whole notion is hogwash and its unfair to the team and to Matthews and JT.!! he said Auston is pumped and overjoyed at having Johnny T on the same team and wants to win a Stanley cup..not sure about the rest of you but i tend to believe Orr.!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-10, 05:43 PM)The Nemesis Wrote: All you have to do is not completely mess it up to get your franchise player re-signed.  The Islanders are the first team to do it.

Ottawa may very well be in the same position with Karlsson  as well. Time will tell,
Thanks given by:
Ottawa will atleast get assets for their franchise player though...while it will still be a devastating loss for the franchise, they will get some substantial pieces to help with the inevitable/impending rebuild.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-11, 07:05 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: Ottawa will atleast get assets for their franchise player though...while it will still be a devastating loss for the franchise, they will get some substantial pieces to help with the inevitable/impending rebuild.

Assuming they ever pull off a trade, and he doesn't just walk at the end of the year... in which case everyone in Ottawa should be fired.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-10, 05:43 PM)The Nemesis Wrote: All you have to do is not completely mess it up to get your franchise player re-signed.  The Islanders are the first team to do it.

Yup. This is completely on the Islanders and Garth Snow. They had nine years of Tavares and made it past the first round once.

The fans are being absolute jackasses. Tavares talked about how much he loved Long Island and how it was extremely difficult to leave. He wasn't pulling a snow job. He didn't decide until the night before July 1.

Any fans who would vilify a guy who poured his heart into their franchise for nine years, with no support, do not deserve a winning team. It's pathetic.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
Tavares wrote an article to Islanders Fans in the players tribune....A good read

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/...-leafs-nhl
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-11, 10:30 AM)lewis94 Wrote:

Yup. This is completely on the Islanders and Garth Snow. They had nine years of Tavares and made it past the first round once.

The fans are being absolute jackasses. Tavares talked about how much he loved Long Island and how it was extremely difficult to leave. He wasn't pulling a snow job. He didn't decide until the night before July 1.

Any fans who would vilify a guy who poured his heart into their franchise for nine years, with no support, do not deserve a winning team. It's pathetic.

Every single player is coached by their agent and pr person to act exactly that way.  It's almost formulaic.  Making it impossible to know who actually cares and doesn't.

Let's not get too invested in these paint by numbers letters everyone is writing now.
Thanks given by:
I mean, it's not that hard to tell the difference between a guy being coached and a guy who's being genuine. In his interviews after signing, it seemed pretty clear that it was a tough decision.

Either way, he doesn't deserve the vitriol idiot Islanders fans are heaping on him. You can be disappointed and angry, sure, but the things being said are just absurd.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-11, 03:51 PM)Sportking Wrote: Tavares wrote an article to Islanders Fans in the players tribune....A good read

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/...-leafs-nhl

Yep very heartfelt and open... a very good read, indeed.
Thanks given by: