Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
India student dies after being pushed from roof in safety drill
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-44817638

India student dies after being pushed from roof in safety drill
  • 5 hours ago

[Image: _102509124_logeswari.jpg]Image copyrightBBC TAMILImage captionN Logeswari died after she was forced to jump off a building as part of a safety drill
Indian police have arrested a training instructor in the southern state of Tamil Nadu after a 19-year-old college student died in a safety exercise.
Police said N Logeshwari died after she was forced to jump off a building into a safety net held by fellow students. They say the instructor pushed her as she was reluctant to jump.
She suffered injuries after hitting the roof of the first floor.
Police have also registered a case against the college.
"The college didn't apply for permission for any such training. This is against the law. Any school or college has to get prior permission from the government before conducting an exercise like this. Police are investigating the issue and the trainer has been arrested," senior government official Hariharan told BBC Tamil.

A video of the incident shows the girl losing her balance and hitting her head after she was pushed by the instructor. It is being widely circulated on social media.
College authorities rushed her to hospital immediately after she fell, but she was declared dead on arrival.
The college is yet to release an official statement about the incident.
Police are reportedly interrogating the principal of the institution.
Thanks given by:
Holy Cow!
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
Why would you need to show how to jump off a roof into a safety net?   It has no sense.   In the rare instance where one might have to jump off a roof,   odds are there won't be a safety net to catch you.

Why didn't the instructor do it himself?   Show the students the proper technique & all
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 10:42 AM)MisterZ Wrote: Holy Cow!

Inappropriate.  You don't know if she was Hindu... Silly
A leader without followers is just a person taking a walk...
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 11:12 AM)Bandit Wrote:
(2018-07-13, 10:42 AM)MisterZ Wrote: Holy Cow!

Inappropriate.  You don't know if she was Hindu... Silly

I thought he was talking about my aunt lol
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
That's sad, and in my opinion, is easily a case of manslaughter. He should face jail time but I'm not sure how the justice system in India works but I assume it won't be lenient.
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx
The article is a bit misleading. I'm reading elsewhere that she volunteered to jump, had second thoughts, came back a second time, again hesitated before she was pushed. The article reads like she was press-ganged into jumping.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 06:15 PM)Cornholio Wrote: The article is a bit misleading. I'm reading elsewhere that she volunteered to jump, had second thoughts, came back a second time, again hesitated before she was pushed. The article reads like she was press-ganged into jumping.

No it doesn't.  It reads like she was forcibly pushed while reluctant to jump.   The lead up you described is in no way relevant.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 06:15 PM)Cornholio Wrote: The article is a bit misleading. I'm reading elsewhere that she volunteered to jump, had second thoughts, came back a second time, again hesitated before she was pushed. The article reads like she was press-ganged into jumping.

1.  Doesn't matter if true cuz she still got pushed
2.  I didn't interpret anything like that in the article
3.  Care to share this other article with us?
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-14, 08:04 PM)RyeRocks Wrote:

1. It does matter in terms of establishing intent. Helping someone who volunteered for this affair and assumedly wanted  to jump and was a little hesitant with a push is different then pushing someone who was forced to participate in some sort of half-assed emergency drill.
Police said N Logeshwari died after she was forced to jump off a building into a safety net held by fellow students
First sentence describes the exercise as 'forced'. No mention that she volunteered.

They say the instructor pushed her as she was reluctant to jump.
Second sentence describes the actual push.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...drill.html
Ya know, this wasn't even the article I originally referenced. Is it really that hard to Google N Logeshwari?

And to top it off, the neither of these articles even touches the info which will sink this guy.
Thanks given by:
The College did not even have the proper permission to perform this type of training, so someone there is in deep shit, too.

She volunteered for the training, clearly did not want to jump, and then was pushed off against her will.  The instructor is 100% responsible for the death and he should be punished for his actions like any other murderer would be.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-15, 05:45 PM)Cornholio Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 08:04 PM)RyeRocks Wrote:

1. It does matter in terms of establishing intent. Helping someone who volunteered for this affair and assumedly wanted  to jump and was a little hesitant with a push is different then pushing someone who was forced to participate in some sort of half-assed emergency drill  

Intent to kill in a negligence charge is irrelevant. Intent of the victim is irrelevant. 

‘Half-assed’ is the issue.

Further, consent is not 'everlasting'. It can be revoked. If this girl changed her mind, then she is no longer consenting to being pushed.
Thanks given by: MisterZ
(2018-07-15, 05:45 PM)Cornholio Wrote: Ya know, this wasn't even the article I originally referenced. Is it really that hard to Google N Logeshwari?

Am I supposed to go find links for every article someone else mentions?  No, because that's stupid.

Only you would whine about a request for an article that you brought up in the first place.
Thanks given by:
You could've found the link in the time you took to type the request ffs.
Thanks given by:
Lol whatever. Post your own links ffs
Thanks given by:
Manslaughter, plain and simple. What an idiot.
Humboldt Broncos SJHL April 6, 2018
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-16, 11:01 AM)Cornholio Wrote: You could've found the link in the time you took to type the request ffs.

You going to be OK? Sounds pretty rough being asked to post the very article you referenced. Thoughts and prayers corny.
Thanks given by: