Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Women's Final at the US Open
In her defense, being a new mom can be stressful.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/s...ns-us-open
Thanks given by:
Ya, I saw that a little earlier - not quite full McEnroe but she definitely got her point across.
Thanks given by:
What a malcontent.
Thanks given by:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Inequities aside, (and I am granting they exist because she says so, not because I have been shown evidence of it) abuse of officials is unacceptable.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-08, 08:06 PM)Limestoner Wrote: Inequities aside, (and I am granting they exist because she says so, not because I have been shown evidence of it) abuse of officials is unacceptable.

Officials extend leniency to coaches and players in all sports. 

If her behaviour was in line with what is generally considered acceptable, then she has a point.
Thanks given by:
The chair umpire would never have thought to steal that game from her if Obama was still president!
Thanks given by: Highstyx
Ramos does not deserve the venom that Serena is giving him. If anything his fellow umpires have let him down as he's being chastised for enforcing the rules. For the record, he gave both Djokovic and Cecchinato coaching warnings in their QF match at the FO earlier this year.

I understand why Serena is upset, but at what point do you take responsibility for your actions? The coaching violation was a warning. Nothing lost, nothing gained. It's the umpire's way of telling you to cut it out. Had she just shut up about it and went about her work this match was totally within reach. Osaka was up a break in the 2nd set, but breaks are quite frequent in women's tennis and Serena is probably the greatest tennis player of all time. This match was still win-able. It became a lot more difficult when she smashed her racquet, verbally abused the official, demanded an apology, played the 'mom' and 'sexism' cards, and forced Ramos to give Osaka a game.

It's so like Serena though to blow things out of proportion though and lay blame elsewhere. In a SF at the USO in 09 against Kim Clijsters she was called for a foot fault and told the lineswoman she was going to shove a ball down her throat. Rational behaviour. In 2011 she received a violation for yelling "C'mon!" when a point was still in play and so she told the umpire that she should turn the other way if she ever sees Serena in public and that she is ugly on the inside. And now in 2018 it's the same thing - a clear violation of the rules for which Serena's coach has admitted, but it's not Serena's fault apparently. Her subsequent actions and forfeiting of a game were certainly her fault.

Her claims of sexism are likely offensive to those that actually experience sexism. Just because you throw a hissy fit doesn't mean you're a victim. But of course ESPN ate it all up.
Thanks given by: Justaleafan , bluejayyay , topgun
No other umpire at a Grand Slam has ever behaved like that. It's like refs in hockey who think they are the show. People paid good money to see a Final where one of the players could have made history. That player is under a lot of stress. A little discretion would have gone a long way.
Time for a silly question. WTF is a man doing (in 2018) umpiring the Women's Final?
Silly answer: Being a jerk.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-09, 06:32 AM)Cal Wrote: No other umpire at a Grand Slam has ever behaved like that. It's like refs in hockey who think they are the show. People paid good money to see a Final where one of the players could have made history. That player is under a lot of stress. A little discretion would have gone a long way.
Time for a silly question. WTF is a man doing (in 2018) umpiring the Women's Final?
Silly answer: Being a jerk.

Poor Serena, under so much stress when she's trying to make history in a Grand Slam final. It's not Ramos' job to change the way he officiates a match just because there's more on the line. If it's the first round of a challenger or the final of a Grand Slam, an unofficial who changes the way they officiate based on what is supposedly "on the line" is doing a disservice to the game. There's plenty of inconsistencies with this call in other tournaments, but blame the other officials. Don't blame Ramos for following the rules. Like I said earlier, he's made this call against men's players as well in important moments, as recently as the FO QF with Djokovic. 

Straight from the Grand Slam rulebook:

"Players shall not receive coaching during a match (including the warm-up). Communications of any kind, audible or visible, between a player and a coach may be construed as coaching"

And

"For the purposes of this Rule, verbal abuse is defined as a statement about an official, opponent, sponsor, spectator or other person that implies dishonesty or is derogatory, insulting or otherwise abusive."
Thanks given by: Justaleafan
@ encore- why so quick to dismiss arguably the best women's tennis player of all time?
Is it so you can have a silly argument defending an umpire?
Ramos set precedent for being a jerk. I have a feeling he won't be officiating any more WTA events.
Thanks given by:
It's too bad this took the shine off of what should have been an incredible moment in the spotlight for Naomi Osaka.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-09, 07:07 AM)Cal Wrote: @ encore- why so quick to dismiss arguably the best women's tennis player of all time?
Is it so you can have a silly argument defending an umpire?
Ramos set precedent for being a jerk. I have a feeling he won't be officiating any more WTA events.

How about because this 37 year old woman, who yes is likely the most dominant male or female player of all time, needs to learn to take responsibility for her actions. I posted the rules and it's clear as day that she broke them. If you want to argue about the inconsistency of the call being made then fine, but the umpire made the correct call. That's really not arguable. Her coach even admitted to coaching. It's not Ramos' fault that other umpires don't call infractions for similar, and obviously illegal, moments of coaching. 

She called the umpire a thief for taking a point away from her. I'm calling Serena a thief for taking the moment away from her 20-year old opponent who should have been experiencing one of the greatest moments of her life.
Thanks given by: Viable , bluejayyay , topgun , Highstyx
Spoiled.....entitled....bully. That begins to describe her little tirade yesterday. She may be the best, little doubt about that, but she has little to no control of her emotions when she is getting her ass kicked. Her tearful explanation of why she was treated so unfairly, is a nice distraction to cover her lack of class...

The official acted completely within the bounds of his job.

Her "fight for women", was a pathetic tantrum.
Thanks given by: Viable , Viable , Highstyx
There are rules in tennis. Serena violated THREE. 

1. Coaching from the stands( coach admitted after the match).
2. Smashed her racquet.
3. Verbally abused the chair umpire.

The chair umpire did what he was supposed to do, hold a player accountable for her actions. Serena violated the code of conduct 3 times like i said therefore that is a game penalyt. 

Playing the sexism card to justify her behaviour was embarassing.

Thanks given by:
Such a sore loser. And in full view of the world. Disgusting. 

That little Japanese girl was whippin' Serena's butt anyway, and Serena managed to ruin her first Grand Slam win of her career. I have zero respect for Serena. Well done Naomi.

Just for the record, these two met in a match before and Naomi won that one as well....
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
Ftr, I think there are some legitimate issues for the athletes to gripe about in Women's tennis. Silly and archaic dress code rules among them.

I'm interested to hear a woman's perspective on this incident though. (Mavid, looking at you... Wink )

Wifey thinks Serena acted like a spoiled brat having a tantrum when they don't get their way. I tend to agree.

As mentioned, I believe there are valid grievances to be aired in the sport. I also believe this had nothing to do with any of them.
Thanks given by:
The thing that bothers me the most besides how Osaka’s moment was upstaged by Serena’s drama is that the Serena apologists quickly came out in force and instead of admitting Serena behaved less than heroically as they seem to think, they instead attack people pointing out their hypocrisy. She violated the rules repeatedly. If after the first violation she had simply verbalized her dissent about the call briefly yet firmly and then moved on and just played she wouldn’t have been punished for any more violations.

Instead of diffusing the situation she chose to make a scene, which ended up distracting from what should be the real focus coming out of the match and that’s the brilliant play of Osaka who looks like a superstar in the making.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-09, 12:05 PM)Limestoner Wrote: Ftr, I think there are some legitimate issues for the athletes to gripe about in Women's tennis. Silly and archaic dress code rules among them.

I'm interested to hear a woman's perspective on this incident though. (Mavid, looking at you... Wink )

Wifey thinks Serena acted like a spoiled brat having a tantrum when they don't get their way. I tend to agree.

As mentioned, I believe there are valid grievances to be aired in the sport. I also believe this had nothing to do with any of them.
I don't watch tennis, but I did watch the clips and I thought she behaved very poorly. She clearly broke the rules several times, pulling the sexist and mother card reeked of desperation and just added to embarrass her even more. She repeatedly harassed the umpire even after telling him not to talk to her. If women feel unfairly treated by all means address it, but not in the middle of a match that your losing it just looked really bad on her..
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
(2018-09-09, 11:26 AM)Canuxxx Wrote: There are rules in tennis. Serena violated THREE. 

1. Coaching from the stands( coach admitted after the match).
2. Smashed her racquet.
3. Verbally abused the chair umpire.

The chair umpire did what he was supposed to do, hold a player accountable for her actions. Serena violated the code of conduct 3 times like i said therefore that is a game penalyt. 

Playing the sexism card to justify her behaviour was embarassing.

I agree with all this, but also believe she was shafted re: Abuse. When did McEnroe ever get this ??

That said, it is a tough call, for me.. I feel for the lady who won that tourney, because her win will seem tainted.

and to hear the Femi nazi nonsense, it just made me want to puke
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by: