Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Women's Final at the US Open
Bug 
(2018-09-12, 08:10 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: I keep saying, and I don't think any of you are doing it (or maybe you guys simply don't have that competitive spirit), put yourself in her shoes. I know I would've argued too after that initial conversation with Ramos. Don't side with me after the fact, lead me to believe everything is good and then pile on, and think I'm going to take it.

I doubt that’s the case as I have played sports competitively for much of my life, but even if that wasn’t so it wouldn’t preclude me from putting myself in her shoes or at least comparing her conduct to the conduct of other players in similar situations. Most (the vast majority) have handled themselves better even when they had legitimate gripes and did not resort to calling the umpires integrity into question. I probably watch in excess of 300 live matches a year and many more old matchers, have done so since the aughts, so rest assured there’s a large sample size I draw from to reach that conclusion.. I don’t doubt that I’d stubbornly argue the point were I in her position, but I can also state with a high degree of confidence that potential prejudice would not be invoked.

It’s been demonstrated that Ramos hardly sided with her, he merely confirmed that he doesn’t believe she was consciously cheating. That is wholly unrelated to the warning. I hate to belabour the point but even if Ramos was omniscient, tapped into SW’s thoughts and confirmed she had no intention of cheating, he still would have been well within the rules to dole out a warning for coaching.

I’d say that the crucial mistake Serena made was the racquet smash. An official warning followed by a racquet smash results in a point penalty every single time. If she had kept yapping, or her box was caught coaching again, she might have just gotten another (unofficial) warning. The racquet smash boxed her in and forced Ramos’ hand since he had already issued the warning. Official warning + an infraction that is a code violation every time without exception = point penalty. No alternative to issuing a point penalty, as a second official warning would have flat-out circumvented the rules.
Thanks given by:
I disagree with the overall sentiment. I will say though that I do agree, if Serena doesn't smash her racket the whole thing is probably avoided. Still think Ramos misled her. And that a competitor after the convo they had, would feel the same, hence the outburst.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, we don’t have to agree here.
Thanks given by: thebest41587
Interesting turn of events..

https://www.cbssports.com/tennis/news/te...open-flap/
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-12, 11:06 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: I disagree with the overall sentiment. I will say though that I do agree, if Serena doesn't smash her racket the whole thing is probably avoided. Still think Ramos misled her. And that a competitor after the convo they had, would feel the same, hence the outburst.

Ramos was just upset because he was worried Serena couldn't afford another racket...
Why is common sense not so common?
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 10:07 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: Interesting turn of events..

In a related story, NHL referees have decided to boycott Habs' and Sens' games this year, for fear of falling asleep...
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-13, 06:21 PM)Ululator Wrote:

In a related story, NHL referees have decided to boycott Habs' and Sens' games this year, for fear of falling asleep...
Don't lump us in with those Sens..
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
http://www.livetennis.com/category/wta-t...-20180914/

Strycova knows.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-12, 07:54 PM)dmc23 Wrote:
(2018-09-12, 06:27 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-09-12, 04:00 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: When she says during the conversation that "I wasn't getting coaching", "I don't cheat", and his response is "and I know that", to me that's admitting you overstepped and shouldn't have made that call. That's presumably why she also said "you need to make an announcement I didn't get coaching" when the 2nd infraction happened.

I suggest you take another look.

When she was saying "I don't cheat" was when I said "I know that". And that wasn't all she said either. She was ranting about how she's not a cheater and she has a daughter and blah blah blah blah....His comment had nothing to do with her referencing the coaching.

She is being universally condemned for her childish ranting nonsense, and rightly so.

I wouldn’t say she’s being universally condemned. She has a long list of defenders and they are out in force. It’s pretty disappointing to me seeing these defenders. She’s clearly in the wrong here, but they refuse to acknowledge it.

I stand corrected. Even though I'm disappointed with the defenders.

Lots of people out there looking for a cause maybe?
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 08:16 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-09-12, 07:54 PM)dmc23 Wrote:
(2018-09-12, 06:27 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-09-12, 04:00 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: When she says during the conversation that "I wasn't getting coaching", "I don't cheat", and his response is "and I know that", to me that's admitting you overstepped and shouldn't have made that call. That's presumably why she also said "you need to make an announcement I didn't get coaching" when the 2nd infraction happened.

I suggest you take another look.

When she was saying "I don't cheat" was when I said "I know that". And that wasn't all she said either. She was ranting about how she's not a cheater and she has a daughter and blah blah blah blah....His comment had nothing to do with her referencing the coaching.

She is being universally condemned for her childish ranting nonsense, and rightly so.

I wouldn’t say she’s being universally condemned. She has a long list of defenders and they are out in force. It’s pretty disappointing to me seeing these defenders. She’s clearly in the wrong here, but they refuse to acknowledge it.

I stand corrected. Even though I'm disappointed with the defenders.

Lots of people out there looking for a cause maybe?

Racism and sexism are legitimate issues in society and has never been under more of a microscope and there is a section of society who want to defend against them even when it’s not appropriate. They look for chances to come to someones defense. Serena has a long history of bad behavior on the court and she always has her defenders and racism and/or sexism always seem to be at the heart of their defense.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 05:36 PM)Mavid Wrote:

I'm a longtime Habs' fan, and frankly, I'm not so hopeful for this year...
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 09:56 PM)Ululator Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 05:36 PM)Mavid Wrote:

I'm a longtime Habs' fan, and frankly, I'm not so hopeful for this year...

Neither am I but please don't lump us in with them..getting a rash just thinking about it
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
Better get used to it pal.
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by:
Mary Carillo dropping truth bombs on Serena’s behavior.

https://youtu.be/4HbTA-tDIaY
Thanks given by: