Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interim report card
Well, seeing as it's a quiet day in Canuck-land and the team has just started the second half of the season, it seems as good a time as any to hand out some grades.

Rather than judging the team on an absolute scale compared to all NHL players, this post will divide the team into rankings based on how each player has met or failed to meet expectations.  Of course, the rankings will depend on what your expectations for each player are -- for example, if you expected the Sedins to be PPG players, they clearly have not met expectations.  However, if you expected them to be rolling at a second line pace, maybe you're satisfied with their performance.

Exceeding expectations:

Alex Burrows
Bo Horvat
Ryan Miller
Troy Stecher
Nikita Tryamkin

Meeting expectations:

Sven Baertschi
Michael Chaput
Alex Edler
Brendan Gaunce
Markus Granlund
Jannik Hansen
Jacob Markstrom
Jayson Megna
Luca Sbisa
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Jack Skille
Brandon Sutter
Chris Tanev

Below expectations:

Loui Eriksson
Erik Gudbranson
Ben Hutton
Philip Larsen
Jake Virtanen

Incomplete:

Alex Biega
Derek Dorsett
Anton Rodin

Compiling this list, I see that I don't see this team being much better than it already is, with most players playing to their (my) expected level.  Since players are more or less performing at the level that I would expect, the team's overall results should reflect that.

What changes would you make to the list?
Thanks given by:
I would move Sven B up to the first list....

When we first picked him up from Calgary, he was considered a reclamation project that could have gone either way... and if he had simply gone AVey ( see what I did there, haha ), many fans wouldn't have been all that surprised.

Now, here we are and SB is a top 5 point producer for the Canucks and he could be a very important part of the Sedin transition...

I would also give a bigger shout out to Sbisa and Sutter... ( just because... Wink )...

Otherwise, you are pretty bang on AbD.

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
Sven has had a good stretch, but he was quiet to start the year. On the whole, I would say he is starting to meet the expectations that he set for us with his play in the latter half of last year. As for Sbisa, where he slots depends on how good (or bad) a player you think he is. He has shown that he can be a solid player, and so I think it's fair to say he's meeting expectations. The same for Sutter -- he shows flashes of unexpected (to me) offensive ability, but by and large he shows that he is an effective two-way player.

Thanks for the comments!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for doing the Report Card.... I was gonna do it after game 41, but in my defense, I didn't.... Wink

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
Good list ab, agree with most.

I would probably bump the Sedins down to below expectations, especially Daniel since Baertschi is outscoring him.

And yes, Sbisa is exceeding expectation because the expectation from him is so low Laugh.
Thanks given by:
Well thought out list Ab.....

Harrison how could Sedin be downgraded.......pretty well everyone agrees the Sedins are on the downside of career.  

They are exceeding my expectations of them at this point in their careers, and even though they are not on the scoreboard many nights, they keep the puck for 15 minutes which prevents the other team from doing anything. 

I forgot we had Philip Larsen, because I had no expectation for the Vegas Golden Knight selection from the Canucks.  Laugh
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 06:13 AM)shoes Wrote: Well thought out list Ab.....

Harrison how could Sedin be downgraded.......pretty well everyone agrees the Sedins are on the downside of career.  

They are exceeding my expectations of them at this point in their careers, and even though they are not on the scoreboard many nights, they keep the puck for 15 minutes which prevents the other team from doing anything. 

I forgot we had Philip Larsen, because I had no expectation for the Vegas Golden Knight selection from the Canucks.  Laugh

Oh really shoes? I don't remember you predicting that the Sedins probably won't lead the team in scoring this year. I honestly don't think anyone expected that till next season.

They're still getting prime PP minutes and most offensive zone starts; they are underachieving somewhat. Oh and keeping the puck out part, you might want to look at their CF%, GF% and SF% before spewing non-sense, some of the worst numbers of their career. They're outperformed in pretty much all of those category by Horvat, Burrows, Hansen, Baertschi, Eriksson, etc.

Relax, they're underachieving by my expectations so I put them below expectations. God forbid I get critical on any Canucks on this board. Icon_rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Definitely not sold on Sven.
A perimeter player that gets pushed off the puck easily.
The type of points he is getting remind of Vey, lots of PP time and playing with top players all the time.
He relies on his line mates to get the puck and doesn't fore check or back check exceptionally well.
I have seen him cough up the puck to avoid hits a few too many times.
Could be used as trade bait now that his numbers are up.
Very streaky with the bad ones lasting longer than the good ones.

Gudbranson, I am not sure he is even as good as Stanton was, maybe it is just being on a new team, maybe because he has so many different partners, maybe because he is moved from left to right often.
Not showing as a top four dman, already outshined by Stecher and Tryamkin.
Again, he is well thought of in thee rest of the league and could garner a pretty decent player if packaged to a team that needs a stay at home dman.

Eriksson, exactly as I expected, a 32 year old guy that cashed in on his second 30 goal season of a 14 year career, got the clauses so he can't be traded and gets 7 mil a year on July 1, hasn't changed the way he plays, just more careful now.

Hutton, just trying too hard, he has to relax and get better results by doing less.

Virtanen, simply picked too high, he will be a third line banger on most NHL teams, could be Willie and management put too much emphasis on his hitting prowess and he concentrated on that instead of the entire package, essentially his last year in junior he was doing too much hitting and when he got to the show, he was encouraged too much in that area, he lost out on 3 years of learning how to score, hitting was enough. Still a good prospect but should be traded, the Nucks can be Buffalo this time.

Larsen? Is he still with the team?
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it!
Thanks given by:
Great list. I would move Edler down to below expectations and move Sbisa to being above expectations.

Sbisa is playing so well these days, I actually don't want to see him gone at the end of the year. He's actually almost earning his contract.
Thanks given by:
I'd actually have Sbisa in the exceed expectations category, not so much because he's been good because he does suck, but mostly because my expectations of him were to stand in the middle of the ice and soil himself, so he's done better than that.

Sutter is bordering on exceeding too, simple stats he's producing what he needs to to earn his contract if his second half is the same as the first half. Still though underlying numbers show he's still a bit of an anchor for his linemates. Also He's getting pretty favorable starts. I'm skeptical if he'd be doing what he was doing stats wise if he was being given the deployment Horvat is.

Hutton I'd probably bump up to meeting as well. It's been an up an down year but it's pretty much what I expected for a young dman getting more responsibilities this season. Plus he's been saddled with Gudbranson most of the season who's been pretty bad.

Gudbranson is the only big worry to me. I really want to like him because I like a big tough bad ass on the back end, and lets face it we paid a premium to get him, but he's been pretty bad. And I think this stretch he's been injured showed how little the team misses his presence. I'm hoping more and more the Canucks don't sign him and chose to recoup some of the assets they moved to get him.
I’ll be polite... right up until I’m rude
- Ash Williams (2015)
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 01:02 PM)TheGuardian Wrote: Definitely not sold on Sven.
The type of points he is getting remind of Vey, lots of PP time and playing with top players all the time.
He relies on his line mates to get the puck and doesn't fore check or back check exceptionally well.

Gudbranson, I am not sure he is even as good as Stanton was, maybe it is just being on a new team, maybe because he has so many different partners, maybe because he is moved from left to right often.
Again, he is well thought of in thee rest of the league and could garner a pretty decent player if packaged to a team that needs a stay at home dman.

Eriksson, exactly as I expected, a 32 year old guy that cashed in on his second 30 goal season of a 14 year career, got the clauses so he can't be traded and gets 7 mil a year on July 1, hasn't changed the way he plays, just more careful now.

Hutton, just trying too hard, he has to relax and get better results by doing less.

Virtanen, simply picked too high, he will be a third line banger on most NHL teams, could be Willie and management put too much emphasis on his hitting prowess and he concentrated on that instead of the entire package, essentially his last year in junior he was doing too much hitting and when he got to the show, he was encouraged too much in that area, he lost out on 3 years of learning how to score, hitting was enough. Still a good prospect but should be traded, the Nucks can be Buffalo this time.

Perimiter player eh? Couple games back he blocks a shot, scoops up the loose puck, comes down and scores.

I am not a big fan of Ericksson
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 02:41 AM)Canucksfansince1989 Wrote: Great list. I would move Edler down to below expectations and move Sbisa to being above expectations.

Sbisa is playing so well these days, I actually don't want to see him gone at the end of the year. He's actually almost earning his contract.

some nights, Sbisa has been our best D man
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 09:27 AM)Highstyx Wrote:

Perimiter player eh? Couple games back he blocks a shot, scoops up the loose puck, comes down and scores.

Whatever happened to "he[Eriksson] had great chemistry with the Sedins at the Olympics"? Sweden must have been playing a different style than Willie because Eriksson is a good scorer close in but teams have learned to shut down the Sedins cross crease pass so no glory there.

The guy has always been a very good two way player but he was sold as a goal scorer.
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-10, 11:20 AM)Harrison219 Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 06:13 AM)shoes Wrote: Well thought out list Ab.....

Oh really shoes? I don't remember you predicting that the Sedins probably won't lead the team in scoring this year. I honestly don't think anyone expected that till next season.

They're still getting prime PP minutes and most offensive zone starts; they are underachieving somewhat. Oh and keeping the puck out part, you might want to look at their CF%, GF% and SF% before spewing non-sense, some of the worst numbers of their career. They're outperformed in pretty much all of those category by Horvat, Burrows, Hansen, Baertschi, Eriksson, etc.

Relax, they're underachieving by my expectations so I put them below expectations. God forbid I get critical on any Canucks on this board. Icon_rolleyes

Criticize any Canuck you want,  you have been predicting the demise of the Sedins ever since the year of Torts.....so I just find it odd you are surprised that some of the young guys are passing them by.     Isn't that what is supposed to happen?   Isn't that what most hope to happen?   

I would love to see the Sedins get less ice time by being split up on the PP, but that has nothing to do with my expectations of them.     I have long predicted that they would drop a line for their final year or 2 and by extension that is predicting someone would surpass them.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-13, 12:47 PM)shoes Wrote: Criticize any Canuck you want,  you have been predicting the demise of the Sedins ever since the year of Torts.....so I just find it odd you are surprised that some of the young guys are passing them by.     Isn't that what is supposed to happen?   Isn't that what most hope to happen?   

I would love to see the Sedins get less ice time by being split up on the PP, but that has nothing to do with my expectations of them.     I have long predicted that they would drop a line for their final year or 2 and by extension that is predicting someone would surpass them.

You're thinking of the wrong guy buddy.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 10:37 AM)Marsh Wrote:
(2017-01-12, 09:27 AM)Highstyx Wrote:

Whatever happened to "he[Eriksson] had great chemistry with the Sedins at the Olympics"? Sweden must have been playing a different style than Willie because Eriksson is a good scorer close in but teams have learned to shut down the Sedins cross crease pass so no glory there.

The guy has always been a very good two way player but he was sold as a goal scorer.

You never heard that from me, and the Olympics is a different game altogether
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-09, 07:01 PM)abdemarco Wrote: Well, seeing as it's a quiet day in Canuck-land and the team has just started the second half of the season, it seems as good a time as any to hand out some grades.

Rather than judging the team on an absolute scale compared to all NHL players, this post will divide the team into rankings based on how each player has met or failed to meet expectations.  Of course, the rankings will depend on what your expectations for each player are -- for example, if you expected the Sedins to be PPG players, they clearly have not met expectations.  However, if you expected them to be rolling at a second line pace, maybe you're satisfied with their performance.

Exceeding expectations:

Alex Burrows
Bo Horvat
Ryan Miller
Troy Stecher
Nikita Tryamkin

Meeting expectations:

Sven Baertschi
Michael Chaput
Alex Edler
Brendan Gaunce
Markus Granlund
Jannik Hansen
Jacob Markstrom
Jayson Megna
Luca Sbisa
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Jack Skille
Brandon Sutter
Chris Tanev

Below expectations:

Loui Eriksson
Erik Gudbranson
Ben Hutton
Philip Larsen
Jake Virtanen

Incomplete:

Alex Biega
Derek Dorsett
Anton Rodin

Compiling this list, I see that I don't see this team being much better than it already is, with most players playing to their (my) expected level.  Since players are more or less performing at the level that I would expect, the team's overall results should reflect that.

What changes would you make to the list?

Ab! Very nicely done.

Only change I might make is to put Granlund in the exceeding expectations because I totally didn't expect what I've seen from him.

I like this format better than grading A, B, C+ etc.
My Honda Civic has an Infinite Improbability Drive

Thanks given by:
As a follow-up, here are TSN's Craig Button's grades for the Canucks to this point of the year.  Overall he gives the team a B- grade.  The link is http://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-limited-offe...b-1.659483  .

Code:
Goalies         Grade Age AAV    W  L  OT Sv%
Ryan Miller     A     37  $6.0 m 14 12 3  0.92
Jacob Markstrom C     27  $1.5 m 9  9  3  0.913

Defencemen      Grade Age AAV    GP G P  +/-
Troy Stecher    B     23  $925 k 41 2 14 -7
Luca Sbisa      B     27  $3.6 m 50 2 12 -7
Chris Tanev     B     28  $4.5 m 26 0 5  6
Nikita Tryamkin B     23  $1.0 m 40 1 5  2
Ben Hutton      C     24  $896 k 41 4 11 -12
Alexander Edler D     31  $5.0 m 36 1 9  -9
Erik Gudbranson D     25  $3.5 m 30 1 6  -14
Alex Biega      Inc.  29  $750 k 18 0 2  -1
Philip Larsen   Inc.  28  $1.0 m 18 0 4  -9

Forwards        Grade Age AAV    GP G  P  +/-
Bo Horvat       A     22  $894 k 50 14 32 -2
Sven Baertschi  B+    25  $1.9 m 47 13 26 3
Alex Burrows    B     36  $4.5 m 44 7  16 0
Markus Granlund B     24  $900 k 50 12 20 -14
Brandon Sutter  B     28  $4.4 m 50 12 24 -12
Daniel Sedin    B-    37  $7.0 m 50 11 27 -8
Henrik Sedin    B-    37  $7.0 m 50 11 32 -12
Jack Skille     C+    30  $700 k 43 4  7  -2
Jayson Megna    C     27  $600 k 32 3  6  0
Loui Eriksson   C-    32  $6.0 m 50 10 21 -6
Michael Chaput  D     25  $600 k 38 1  4  -7
Brendan Gaunce  D     23  $863 k 45 0  4  -1
Reid Boucher    Inc.  24  $715 k 1  0  0  0
Derek Dorsett   Inc.  31  $2.7 m 14 1  4  -6
Jannik Hansen   Inc.  31  $2.5 m 18 5  9  0
Anton Rodin     Inc.  27  $950 k 3  0  1  1
Thanks given by:
Let's just say, you're a lot better at this grading thing than Button is. Wink
Mostly harmless  . . .
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-28, 12:46 AM)nicky Wrote: Let's just say, you're a lot better at this grading thing than Button is.   Wink

Although mentioned in passing, Larsen, Rodin and Virtanen have kind of disappeared on the fans' radar. 

Button did go against the grain and rank Jake much lower, including in the second round on one of his scouting lists.
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by: