Poll: Is Thanos this generation's Darth Vader?
Yes
No
I don't understand the question.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Thanos this generation's Darth Vader?
As I think on it, Anakin was in the same position Jon Snow was in. Entered into a brotherhood with strict requirements that he couldn't handle, like not banging girls.

I tell ya, these angsty heroes just can't play by the rules. If only they'd been given some lotion and a Sears catalogue, and neither of them would get into such trouble.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Thanks given by:
At least Harrington was a convincing actor. I truly believed he was a bumbling idiot who was lucky to still be alive. 

Thanks given by:
(2019-06-10, 11:18 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: No man, tantrums are pathetic. Especially for a lead character. There are better cinematic ways to show the rigidness of a particular group. There’s no defence of that.

With  Vader, you weren’t duped in to anything. You saw it with your own eyes. He was a beast. It doesn’t take a shitty prequel to know that.

Once again what did I see with my own eyes?
-strangling another soldier with the force
-beating down an old man
-ordering robots ans Bobba Fett
-Freezes Han in carbonite
-cuts off Luke's hand

The only time Vader was ever a beast was RotS or Rogue One. Everything iconic about Vader is the imagery. There is no response other then "him being evil is subtle, you just don't get it". 

I can acknowledge the faults with the prequels. The script and acting was dumb, but I don't ignore their value. They lookes great, had awesome action, and madr characters complex after you separate the story from the "in my opinion the Jedi are evil". I don't hold the OT up to a pedestal when there's clearly issues with them. I agree that the PT should have had more, especially the hunt for the remaining Jedi, but it clearly shows how the Jedi failed while Anakin turned to Vader.

We should thank Disney for the following as they gave us something like this that shows what a true evil mofo is. 

If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Vader was the foil, not the star of the originals. He was one of many villains. He just happened to be the most powerful. Through him, we see how powerful and dangerous the force is. What do you think it means that every single person in the galaxy fears him? Do you really need a garish scene to illustrate why that is? My mind connect the dots in a pretty compelling way. In these movies, he's the most powerful person to use the force. Luke taking that mantle from him is why we have a story in the first place. 

In the original movies, Vader's backstory is great. He's the most powerful Jedi, who dabbled in the black arts, became unhinged and even more powerful. He sided with the Empire and helped them find and wipeout his brotherhood. He was so powerful, they had to hide his own children from him, for if just one of them joined him, they would be unstoppable. The idea of Vader becoming an Apex predator, hunting down and destroying his peers is much more satisfying than what the prequels alleged happened - he was a petulant teenager who hated going to the beach and threw a tantrum because he didn't get the promotion he felt he was entitled too. Oh - and he was easily manipulated by an old perv who had an obvious agenda. 

Maybe it's an age thing. Hier, Hippy, Fritz and I are all roughly the same age. We don't despise the prequels because we're old and stuck in our ways. We were taught storytelling a little differently. The story and messages behind movies were implied, not spelled out and spoon fed. Let me give you the example of the overdose scene in Pulp Fiction. It's not about Mia mistaking heroin for cocaine and almost dying. It's much more than that. It's more sexual. With the white fluid dripping from her mouth. The close-up of the blood and clear liquid mingling in the syringe. Mia getting penetrated with the life-saving thrust, directly into her heart. What we saw on screen was not the story being told.

If Lucas handled that scene with the same sensibilities that he made the prequels with, it would have went more like: Travolta's fat, white ass clapping up and down in the air as he greedily porks Thurman. After he roles off her, he goes to the diner to get a milkshake. But he drinks it too fast, gets an ice-cream headache. So he takes it out on all the patrons. Then he delivers a tearful soliloquy about how he hates strawberry milkshakes because the litty bitty seeds get stuck in his teef. Samuel Jackson enters a delivers a caricature performance of what some old white dude thinks a "gangsta" should be. Then a bigger, more powerful boss, that we've never heard of until now, enters and tells Travolta he must learn boxing and defeat Bruce Willis's character next week or he'll be fired from being a gangster...

I mean this with all due respect. You possess the ability to meet the artist where they want to go. You're much more forgiving on how they get there. I can't do that. I can't just be told a cool detail and accept it. I need buildup, payoff, consequence, allegory, foreshadowing, characters who are supposed to be smart, make smart decisions. The prequels had none of that and that's why they are considered garbage. 

The only silver-lining to the prequels is that they cost Lucas his job and they took his babies away from him. Now, if he knocks on everyone's door, offers a sincerely apology, refunds everybody's money, plus 1000% interest, performs Seppuku, I will consider his debt to society paid off.
Thanks given by:
I can't believe y'all are arguing tooth and nail about this.

Hannibal Lecter would drive both mad and then eat them with some Chianti.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
This thread is more nerdy than the Game of Thrones thread.
Thanks given by:
It's odd to criticize people having a discussion in a discussion forum.

Bic said some things. And it wasn't some off the cuff harmless stuff like, "Hitler wasn't all bad. Some if his ideas were pretty great." or "Kevin Lowe actually does know a thing or two about winning."

He defended the prequels. He said they added to the overall story. What kind of diseased mind could say such hateful things?
Thanks given by:
I'm behind you, Zappa. Thank you for fighting this for us. I haven't been much good; I've been hiding under my desk crying and wishing bic would go away and stop saying horrible things.
Thanks given by: ZappaScores
(2019-06-11, 02:16 PM)25YearRebuild Wrote: This thread is more nerdy than the Game of Thrones thread.

I still haven't posted my thoughts about GoT. I'm rewatching the series because I couldn't handle the finale. Don't you worry, I'll be nerding it up there soon enough.

On a side note, I'm glad I can have discussions on this forum about these kinda things without being told my mother was banged.

I've been browsing gamefaqs forums lately and am in need of some extra social support.
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-11, 03:47 PM)bicboi Wrote:
(2019-06-11, 02:16 PM)25YearRebuild Wrote: This thread is more nerdy than the Game of Thrones thread.

I still haven't posted my thoughts about GoT. I'm rewatching the series because I couldn't handle the finale. Don't you worry, I'll be nerding it up there soon enough.

On a side note, I'm glad I can have discussions on this forum about these kinda things without being told my mother was banged.

I've been browsing gamefaqs forums lately and am in need of some extra social support.

Oh bic. You're one of the most beloved guys on these boards, respected by all, with the absolute worst taste in movies and hockey teams.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Thanks given by:
(2019-06-11, 04:21 PM)HockeyHippy Wrote:
(2019-06-11, 03:47 PM)bicboi Wrote:

Oh bic. You're one of the most beloved guys on these boards, respected by all, with the absolute worst taste in movies and hockey teams.

....Don't forget hairstyles.  Wink
Thanks given by:
And comics, music, video games, impressionist art... Let's face it, bic's just not good at liking things. Still, this thread not withstanding, you are loveable.
Thanks given by:
Ah well, at least my basketball team is in the right?
Thanks given by:
And food too, bic
Thanks given by:
I came across this Youtube channel, which generally reviews videogames from the point of view of a girlfriend watching her boyfriend play them, but in this episode, she reviews Star Wars: A New Hope and it is actually pretty hilarious.  

Thanks given by:
I hope Spielberg is reading Bic's posts so that we can finally find out what Bruce's childhood was like.  He can even improve upon that stupid "Dunh-dunh" theme song.

Thanks given by: