Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it the time go big after an RFA?
A number of bloggers and fans have suggested the Canucks should go big after RFA(s) on teams that are tight against the cap and face big impending contracts for stars. Toronto, Tampa and Winnipeg are 3 teams mentioned as susceptible to a raid. Any contract from ~1.3million to 2.1million costs a 3rd rounder, any contract from 2.1 to 4.3 costs a 2nd rounder. Almost certainly some useful young players could be had in those ranges.

OTOH there's an unacknowledged agreement among teams not to use this tool and Benning more than most sticks to the rules. He certainly doesn't come off as someone who is willing to become a pariah.

There hasn't been an offer sheet since 2013(Ryan O'Reilly, matched) or an unmatched offer since 2007(Dustin Penner). So do the Canucks dip into the RFA waters?

One option is to offer the target team a similar return directly in trade, perhaps with a tweener as a sweetener. Kasperi Kapanen? Kevin Hayes? Andreas Johnsson?

So, what does Benning do? If anything?
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
Mike Gillis screwed up the Backes offer sheet, which St. Louis matched, and then the Blues made an offer sheet to Steve Bernier in retaliation. Bernier had just been acquired from the Sabres by Gillis for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. Bernier signed the offersheet which was $700,000 more than $1,800,000 he was expected to sign for. That was 39% more paid by Gillis to sign Bernier for $2.5 mill per for 3 years.

We have our own RFAs coming up for contracts in the next few years. The cap needs to be managed extremely well or we'll be in that type of cap hell situation ourselves. The teams are allowed to be 10% over the cap limit during the off season. I think that the other teams will match any RFA offer sheet a team throws at one of their players and then just trade other roster players away to make cap room. No point in making enemies as Gillis did in the Backes situation and Kevin Lowe did in signing Pancake Penner. I'm still looking forward to that barn fight, Lowe vs. Burke
Thanks given by:
Every year the media starts building up that there will be offer sheets for this player or that, or that teams should do it etc etc. but they hardly ever happen.

Kevin Lowe didnt last very long after Penner.
Mike Gillis didn't last very long after Backes

for the most part its just not worth it. you're always over paying for the player. and most of the time you can trade for them and get them for the same value or less anyways.
Thanks given by:
Thanks given by: topgun
Thanks given by:
The only players I would covet out of all of them for the Canucks right now is Stone and Matthew Tkachuk.    One is a RFA and one is signed for centuries.      Those are the type we need and they are few and far between and neither will be available to us right now.     Develop for another year and then reassess......see what next offseason offers.     It could be a decent season coming up.      I think everyone understands tanking is for boneheads.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-14, 06:07 AM)shoes Wrote: The only players I would covet out of all of them for the Canucks right now is Stone and Matthew Tkachuk.    One is a RFA and one is signed for centuries.      Those are the type we need and they are few and far between and neither will be available to us right now.     Develop for another year and then reassess......see what next offseason offers.     It could be a decent season coming up.      I think everyone understands tanking is for boneheads.

can't develop for another year. Aqua wants to see playoffs or Benning gets fired. If Benning is confident he would get re-hired by someone else (which he should be) then he could do whats best for the team. But if he isnt re-signed this season or been told by Aqua that the playoffs don't have to be made then he's going to try and fill the roster out to save his job. and i can't blame him. mistake or not its just reality.
Thanks given by:
That bullsh!t narrative that Aqua wants the playoffs is what got the team in this long down turn in the first place. We can all look back now and know that the rebuild should have started after 2012. At the very least in 2013. Wasted assets left to rot on the vine while chasing a rebuild on the fly. How did that work out? We're in 2019.

Burning assets or cap room to show up and be obliterated in the playoffs is foolish. It takes a team with a huge amount of depth to be a contender. The Canucks need far more depththan they have now. Cheap tier 2 free agents (Vanek) are one way to build the assets. If they help the team make the playoffs then it's a great experience to the young players. If the team is out of the playoffs then you can sell these type of players at the deadline for assets. Drafting has been the best asset since Benning got hired and only if we had more picks.........

As Trap said we aren't one UFA or RFA from making the playoffs or being a contender.

The Leafs with the most expensive UFA signing in history (after the 2005 CBA) are sitting and watching the playoffs while being in cap hell. I'm just trying to to bring some reality to our forum.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-15, 01:44 AM)topgun Wrote: That bullsh!t narrative that Aqua wants the playoffs is what got the team in this long down turn in the first place. We can all look back now and know that the rebuild should have started after 2012. At the very least in 2013. Wasted assets left to rot on the vine while chasing a rebuild on the fly. How did that work out? We're in 2019.

Burning assets  or cap room to show up and be obliterated in the playoffs is foolish. It takes a team with a huge amount of depth to be a contender. The Canucks need far more depththan they have now. Cheap tier 2 free agents (Vanek) are one way to build the assets. If they help the team make the playoffs then it's a great experience to the young players. If the team is out of the playoffs then you can sell these type of players at the deadline for assets. Drafting has been the best asset since Benning got hired and only if we had more picks.........

As Trap said we aren't one UFA or RFA from making the playoffs or being a contender.

The Leafs with the most expensive UFA signing in history (after the 2005 CBA)  are sitting and watching the playoffs while being in cap hell. I'm just trying to to bring some reality to our forum.

How has second tier free agents worked out for the Canucks? Other than filling out the roster, it hasn't helped one bit and as Vanek showed the last time, the return is just more 4th liners(Motte?).  Other than the first round picks, how has draft and develop worked out(Lind, Gadjovic)? Despite what Benning says, develop has been sub par. Just hype so far.
 I' m not in favor of offer sheets but lets get serious-it's time to make some impactful acquisitions and if leveraging cap space and yes, draft picks will get the team a top six forward or a young 2, 3, 4 defenseman then do it. There is no way the Canucks should be going into the next season without 3 dependable new defencemen, including Hughes hopefully.
Thanks given by:
We have 9 2nd tier players right now. That's our problem.

No roster fillers. Either spend on a big name or miss then playoffs and get fired. Those are the only 2 options.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by: Marsh
(2019-05-15, 12:23 PM)Marsh Wrote:
(2019-05-15, 01:44 AM)topgun Wrote: That bullsh!t narrative that Aqua wants the playoffs is what got the team in this long down turn in the first place. We can all look back now and know that the rebuild should have started after 2012. At the very least in 2013. Wasted assets left to rot on the vine while chasing a rebuild on the fly. How did that work out? We're in 2019.

Burning assets  or cap room to show up and be obliterated in the playoffs is foolish. It takes a team with a huge amount of depth to be a contender. The Canucks need far more depththan they have now. Cheap tier 2 free agents (Vanek) are one way to build the assets. If they help the team make the playoffs then it's a great experience to the young players. If the team is out of the playoffs then you can sell these type of players at the deadline for assets. Drafting has been the best asset since Benning got hired and only if we had more picks.........

The Leafs with the most expensive UFA signing in history (after the 2005 CBA)  are sitting and watching the playoffs while being in cap hell. I'm just trying to to bring some reality to our forum.

How has second tier free agents worked out for the Canucks? Other than filling out the roster, it hasn't helped one bit and as Vanek showed the last time, the return is just more 4th liners(Motte?).  Other than the first round picks, how has draft and develop worked out(Lind, Gadjovic)? Despite what Benning says, develop has been sub par. Just hype so far.
 I' m not in favor of offer sheets but lets get serious-it's time to make some impactful acquisitions and if leveraging cap space and yes, draft picks will get the team a top six forward or a young 2, 3, 4 defenseman then do it. There is no way the Canucks should be going into the next season without 3 dependable new defencemen, including Hughes hopefully.

Marsh,

My suggestion of the 2nd tier of free agents is to pick from the unsigned players in August or later. That's when you get the best bargains from a desperate lot. The Canucks got Raffi Torres , San Jose got Manny Malhotra and I could list more.

This management team has signed tier 2 players to longer terms and went to the table to sign them in early July. It's not anything that I've ever proposed. 

The Leafs signed guys like Franson, Winnik, Santorelli (and more) and ended up with major assets at the trade deadline which included a 1st round pick and Kapanen.

The Canucks got a 2nd rounder for Bieksa,  Dahlen for Burrows, Goldobin for Hansen. Unforfortunately a lot of other assets were left to rot on the vine. Higgins had a fantastic season in 2014 with teams inquiring about him and could have been sold, the following season he was done. Vrbata was a 30+ goal scorer and teams came calling for him. That was a 1st rounder that this team could have used. The following season Willie D. decided to deploy Vrbata in a different way, away from the Sedins, and the Vrbata value disappeared.

As for our draft picks or assets being developed in Utica:

- Juelevi was on track to be called up before his injury
- Gaudette played well and often in Utica, he got called up but developed in college hockey
- Stecher played in Utica but played college hockey
- Goldobin played in Utica as well as on the Sharks farm team
- Virtanen has spent time in Utica but I discount that as he's a first rounder.
- Demko played college ockey but he definitely needed the AHL
- Brisbois had a good season and he got a call up
- MacEwen has progressed very well in Utica

The Canucks have drafted Euros and college players so Utica is fairly been irrelevant because of those reasons.

Bennings first draft:

Virtanen
McCann
Demko
Tryamkin
Forsling

Then followed up by taking Boeser and Pettersson who were so good that they skipped Utica. Who has Utica ruined? List some names? If anything, I wish that Benning had more picks.

That's a great freakin' draft. Can't blame Utica for that. Which prospect has Utica screwed up?

Dahlen had his issues so I'll give you that. Lind had 51 games played in Utica and Gadjovich had 43 games played in Utica (about the same number as a college player plays).

Gadjovich needs to improve his skating and Lind has talked about a big adjustment to the AHL and his need to get stronger. Here is a link to him talking about his development:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-playboo...ing-utica/

Guys like Lockwood, Rathbone and Madden are trajecting well.

The Canucks don't have a FULL cupboard to pull the trigger on another trade like the Gudbranson one. The asset base needs to increase so you can reload and fire on another trade. 

If the sell off began a few years earlier then we would be in a better position. Apparently San Jose had offered the #9 pick overall ( ended up being Timo Meier) for Ryan Miller (and side pieces) but the Canucks turned it down. 

As for Vanek that was a no risk , high reward signing despite what Motte is.  The team can still do those type of signings.

The last thing that we need is a high priced UFA or draft picks leaving to sign an RFA. Unfortunately, treading water for another year seems to be the best option.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 08:12 PM)topgun Wrote:

Marsh,

My suggestion of the 2nd tier of free agents is to pick from the unsigned players in August or later. That's when you get the best bargains from a desperate lot. The Canucks got Raffi Torres , San Jose got Manny Malhotra and I could list more.

This management team has signed tier 2 players to longer terms and went to the table to sign them in early July. It's not anything that I've ever proposed. 

The Leafs signed guys like Franson, Winnik, Santorelli (and more) and ended up with major assets at the trade deadline which included a 1st round pick and Kapanen.

The Canucks got a 2nd rounder for Bieksa,  Dahlen for Burrows, Goldobin for Hansen. Unforfortunately a lot of other assets were left to rot on the vine. Higgins had a fantastic season in 2014 with teams inquiring about him and could have been sold, the following season he was done. Vrbata was a 30+ goal scorer and teams came calling for him. That was a 1st rounder that this team could have used. The following season Willie D. decided to deploy Vrbata in a different way, away from the Sedins, and the Vrbata value disappeared.

As for our draft picks or assets being developed in Utica:

- Juelevi was on track to be called up before his injury
- Gaudette played well and often in Utica, he got called up but developed in college hockey
- Stecher played in Utica but played college hockey
- Goldobin played in Utica as well as on the Sharks farm team
- Virtanen has spent time in Utica but I discount that as he's a first rounder.
- Demko played college ockey but he definitely needed the AHL
- Brisbois had a good season and he got a call up
- MacEwen has progressed very well in Utica

The Canucks have drafted Euros and college players so Utica is fairly been irrelevant because of those reasons.

Bennings first draft:

Virtanen
McCann
Demko
Tryamkin
Forsling

Then followed up by taking Boeser and Pettersson who were so good that they skipped Utica. Who has Utica ruined? List some names? If anything, I wish that Benning had more picks.

That's a great freakin' draft. Can't blame Utica for that. Which prospect has Utica screwed up?

Dahlen had his issues so I'll give you that. Lind had 51 games played in Utica and Gadjovich had 43 games played in Utica (about the same number as a college player plays).

Gadjovich needs to improve his skating and Lind has talked about a big adjustment to the AHL and his need to get stronger. Here is a link to him talking about his development:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-playboo...ing-utica/

Guys like Lockwood, Rathbone and Madden are trajecting well.

The Canucks don't have a FULL cupboard to pull the trigger on another trade like the Gudbranson one. The asset base needs to increase so you can reload and fire on another trade. 

If the sell off began a few years earlier then we would be in a better position. Apparently San Jose had offered the #9 pick overall ( ended up being Timo Meier) for Ryan Miller (and side pieces) but the Canucks turned it down. 

As for Vanek that was a no risk , high reward signing despite what Motte is.  The team can still do those type of signings.

The last thing that we need is a high priced UFA or draft picks leaving to sign an RFA. Unfortunately, treading water for another year seems to be the best option.

Topgun, the Canucks can keep cycling second tier free agents forever but if you look at history, so far the Canucks have only ever received exactly second tier returns. What's going to change? Even guys like Torres and Vanek are not what the Canucks need anymore. We can draft player after player but it is going to take forever to assemble a cast that peaks together and is a Cup contender unless the team starts to fill obvious needs like one or two top 6 wingers and a top 2 defenseman. Second tier players are a dime a dozen and as UFAs, tend to be overpaid as well on a scale to their contribution. Are the Canucks going with essentially the same core again minus Pouliot?

As for development, anything later than a first round pick has taken 2 to 3 years(or more) to reach the NHL-either in the minors or college. Even Gaudette is still a marginal NHLer for now. That looks to be the norm so it's likely to be the case again this year and next. Enough. Get a young top player to go along with this years #1 pick. The rest is just wishful thinking.
Thanks given by:
At what cost would that young player come?

The Leafs extracted a 1st rounder out of Nashville for Franson (package deal with Santorelli and other pieces). Leafs got Kapenen in another deadline deal for expiring assets.

Didn't the Canucks try the rebuild on the fly in 2014 as you're suggesting?
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 11:09 PM)topgun Wrote: At what cost would that young player come?

The Leafs extracted a 1st rounder out of Nashville for Franson (package deal with Santorelli and other pieces). Leafs got Kapenen in another deadline deal for expiring assets.

Didn't the Canucks try the rebuild on the fly in 2014 as you're suggesting?

I never said a word about rebuild on the fly, topgun. I am suggesting a trade for a young top 6/top 4 player either by getting one, taking on a short term anchor contract like Marleau -or- paying a team the equivalent to the cost of an RFA plus perhaps a lesser player. Certainly teams aren't throwing out 1st rounders for guys like Franson much anymore, either.

You're a positive guy and you see every draftee as a future Canuck but teams aren't built by the draft alone.
Thanks given by:

Here are the reasons we are not going to make it: We are TOO SOFT. Macewen in the minors and Spooner ( another midget) has his job. he hasn't earned it.

We have too many Gadoviches and Goldobins. Guys who get a bit mad and pay with a bit of 'hate' are the ones you win with. We refuse to acknowledge that.

Lots will disagree with me, and that's fine.. I have no claim to have 'Ultimate Hockey Truth' but this team doesn't scare a crippled rabbit.  So for 4 years, we have been ignoring toughness and rewarding SKILL and (laziness)

How is this working out, so far? and we should have drafted Tkachuk. I will say that 5 years from now. If we lose Luke Schenn, I will send Benning a not urging him to find a new coach, and dump the floaters. Of course, he will read it with great fear Laugh 

I want guys who act, and play like they would rather die than lose, and if you touch our captain, or EP, you are as good as dead. Without such, we will never see a round 2. BTW that lets out Spooner, Erickson, Goldy, and makes it hard to keep Schaller.  Granlund? At least he makes an effort.

Schaller's a fairly big guy, and if he wants to keep his job, I want to see him drop the gloves and go. Not every game, but man.. ACT LIKE YOU WANT SOMETHING.. or leave. Give me a 6 ft with slippers on 180 lb Richie Sutter over these slugs ANY time. Dang he was willing and wanting to drop the gloves with Larry Playfair, 6-4, 225 lbs and one of the top 5 toughies in the NHL.. You sure don't get that kind of jam from these guys

I find it exceedingly difficult to root for a team that doesn't stand up for their mates, and we are CHUCKEN SHITS. Teams like that never win cups.

Stinking nasty Bruins look like they might do it again.

Tell me I'm wrong.. but I am stuck n this one
  Proverbs 14:27
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-16, 11:21 AM)Sasquatch Wrote: We have 9 2nd tier players right now. That's our problem.

No roster fillers. Either spend on a big name or miss then playoffs and get fired. Those are the only 2 options.

That has never worked for us. Overspend on another floater, and then I will beg them to fire you. Bring up Macewen, send Spooner packing. Send Travis Green packing. he can't get the PP going, and he prefers pansies over guys who are willing to pay the price. I hate this. I'd have fired him for peeing on big Zack... and don't even think of trying to tell me Spooner and Goldy are a bigger threat. They aren't
  Proverbs 14:27
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-17, 01:04 PM)Highstyx Wrote:
(2019-05-16, 11:21 AM)Sasquatch Wrote: We have 9 2nd tier players right now. That's our problem.

That has never worked for us. Overspend on another floater, and then I will beg them to fire you. Bring up Macewen, send Spooner packing. Send Travis Green packing. he can't get the PP going, and he prefers pansies over guys who are willing to pay the price. I hate this. I'd have fired him for peeing on big Zack... and don't even think of trying to tell me Spooner and Goldy are a bigger threat. They aren't

MC is a 3rd liner at best. he isnt he answer to anything. I've got no problem with him being up. but he isnt first or 2nd line. 

We have to fill

_____ Pett Boes
_____ Ho  Virt

if we want to make the playoffs and help those 4 develop even further we have to fill those 2 spots with players who belong there. we have 0 players or prospects ready for those roles. we have 10 bottom 6 players so i really don't care what 6 they use But these 2 spots have to be filled this offseason or Green and Benning will get fired which i don't want to see because i think both are doing a very good job and feel coaching changes and gm changes during rebuilds are major slow downs. 

We have cap space to spend. spend it. make the team better. Keep drafting. keep adding prospects. Don't trade picks, don't deadline hunt. But for this season and next add a piece or 2 from F.A and go from there. 

For the last 5 seasons we've been playing people on lines they don't belong. It is not a recipe for success.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-17, 01:01 PM)Highstyx Wrote: <snip>

The Bruins are a good example. Their bottom 6 forwards are a bunch of no-names but they have a killer first line and a pretty good second line and they are in the FINALS. The Canucks have as good a bottom 6 but not a complete top 6. It is common knowledge, as Sasquatch says that they need two top 6 players and there are some routes to get them sooner rather than later.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-17, 04:09 PM)Marsh Wrote:

The Bruins are a good example. Their bottom 6 forwards are a bunch of no-names but they have a killer first line and a pretty good second line and they are in the FINALS. The Canucks have as good a bottom 6 but not a complete top 6. It is common knowledge, as Sasquatch says that they need two top 6 players and there are some routes to get them sooner rather than later.

Marsh, this is what some of posters were calling for in 2013 and even more so in 2014. The Bruins decided to get rid of some players to get assets and the Canucks doubled down on keeping aging players. 

I've been all in on taking bad contracts if they come with assets. I would take Marleau in a heartbeat if he came with Kapenen. i would even throw a 2nd rounder the Leafs way next year.

I've always proposed taking on bad contracts if valuable assets came our way to do so.

The re-tooling on the fly just delayed things in Canuckland. Our assets aged as the team sucked. Valuable time lost to get a return on many players.

Now we have to tread water unless you want to blow the wad on a free agent when we have holes on the wings but more glaringly on defense.

No one or two players signed as UFAs will fix this team. The growth of players within the organization will do that. It happened with the West Coast Express, the Sedins and now it has to happen with EP and the gang. UFA  or RFA shortcuts will handcuff the team. 

Lots of destroyed assets trying to rebuild on the fly in 2013/14/15/16. They true rebuild finally started in 2017 with EP40 being drafted. It was only then that the management used the word "rebuild"
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-17, 11:42 PM)topgun Wrote:
(2019-05-17, 04:09 PM)Marsh Wrote:

Marsh, this is what some of posters were calling for in 2013 and even more so in 2014. The Bruins decided to get rid of some players to get assets and the Canucks doubled down on keeping aging players. 

I've been all in on taking bad contracts if they come with assets. I would take Marleau in a heartbeat if he came with Kapenen. i would even throw a 2nd rounder the Leafs way next year.

I've always proposed taking on bad contracts if valuable assets came our way to do so.

The re-tooling on the fly just delayed things in Canuckland. Our assets aged as the team sucked. Valuable time lost to get a return on many players.

Now we have to tread water unless you want to blow the wad on a free agent when we have holes on the wings but more glaringly on defense.

No one or two players signed as UFAs will fix this team. The growth of players within the organization will do that. It happened with the West Coast Express, the Sedins and now it has to happen with EP and the gang. UFA  or RFA shortcuts will handcuff the team. 

Lots of destroyed assets trying to rebuild on the fly in 2013/14/15/16. They true rebuild finally started in 2017 with EP40 being drafted. It was only then that the management used the word "rebuild"

topgun, the OP suggested dealing in RFAs. Nothing about UFAs. 

All in on filling holes with young RFAs other teams are in danger of losing, but by trade.
Thanks given by: