Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it the time go big after an RFA?
its getting tough to discuss how to move forward with this team

on one side we have left extremists who don't want to acquire players anywhere other than the draft

and on the extreme right, we have anti draft fans who are so jaded by Vancouver's past drafting woes, that even now they think there is nothing of any value in the prospect pool that is going to increase Vancouver's chances at the playoffs this year

dan hamuis on a 2 or 3 year contact would have been a great signing last year to help our young defenseman last season, and I still hope we do that this year, not having a veteran like that on our back end hurt us last year, and edler is hurt too much to fill that role, that is the only signing we need on defense because both juolevi and hughes will be on the opening night roster, Jet Woo will get 10 games for sure, will be interesting to see what happens since he cant go to the AHL yet

and on forward we do need a top 6 forward, but lets be smart about how we acquire him, we can all sit here and throw out possible scenarios all day, anything can happen, but no one can deny we need another top6 forward right now, I predict whoever we draft will be ready within 2 seasons to go, but we can't rely on this for next season, so getting a top 6 forward is important this year, and a veteran D to help out our young guys since we all know edler and tanev will struggle to play a full season combined
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by:
drafting is important, but it's not everything. There will come a point Canucks will need to make some high risk boom or bust moves, and in all likelihood those moves will bust because that's the nature of high risk high reward decisions, but no team that wins it all hasn't closed their eyes and taken a leap of faith on something.

The discussion is are the Canucks at that point in their evolution. I'm almost there but I think if I was in the driver's seat of the management I would be very cautious rather than chase the missing piece at this point. I still think we're a year maybe two out.
I’ll be polite... right up until I’m rude
- Ash Williams (2015)
Thanks given by: Highstyx , Highstyx
(2019-05-19, 12:41 AM)Bure Wrote: drafting is important, but it's not everything. There will come a point Canucks will need to make some high risk boom or bust moves, and in all likelihood those moves will bust because that's the nature of high risk high reward decisions, but no team that wins it all hasn't closed their eyes and taken a leap of faith on something.

The discussion is are the Canucks at that point in their evolution. I'm almost there but I think if I was in the driver's seat of the management I would be very cautious rather than chase the missing piece at this point. I still think we're a year maybe two out.

We need to drop a couple of our soft players, and get tougher. This is a broken record of mine. We need to replace Spooner with Macewen. Spooner is a midget who has done nothing. UFA? I can't think of any. Karlsson would be 4 million too much, and might not even go well here. 2 years ago I wanted JB to make a go for Hamonic. He's big and physical. So I guess there is not room for him on our pansy no hit hockey team. Love Luke Schenn, even if everyone sees him as a number five. He should play with Hughes.. EVERY game, Top pair. Then Edler and Stecher. Stecher is not big but he is tough, and has heart

I am starting to think Travis Green is not all as good as expected. PP sucks, like forever, and he benches the guys who are tough, or sends them to Utica. I don't believe this city will ever see the Stanley cup. There ya go. Negative, but it's based on our history of gettng something good started, then finding a way to screw it up.. and this goes all the way back to Griffeths Jr. and firing Maloney.. right when we were a damned good team that was getting better. Gary Smith was going great.  Then we trade.......... nev'va mind..

I want a 6-4 225 lb Defenceman who can play his position and will punish guys coming down the wing.. and who will go Chara like crazy if someone touches our goalie. Also want a similar sized winger.. oh wait;  we already have that. Seems Green is too stupid to use him. We are doing so great with guys like Loui, Spooner,  and Goldy. Ok never mind the stud stars. just find us another Roussel. He can get 20-25 if he is with Bo.. scoring wingers are so scarce, or are they? Mike Gartner was traded HOW many times? All he did was score 45 goals every year.. and in a bad season, a paltry 42. That's like 35 today.

It's going to hit 28c today, and I want to hit the ball, and make a few putts. Hockey in the summer just doesn't make sense. and besides..........

Bruins are gonna win it Cry
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
The Canucks and Benning are in a year of pain if they go with mostly the current lineup IMO. Can JB survive another year missing two top 6 wingers and having a sad sack defence?
Will Tanev and Edler have mainly injury free years?Will Baertschi and Pearson suddenly become reliable top 6 players? Will Hughes be capable of playing defense and not just offense? Will the Canucks have a reasonable year of lost man games to injury? Without a lot of luck for all the above to occur, they are going to spin their wheels yet again. It's frightening for fans and bloggers to expect more from the same caste yet we see defense of the status quo nearly every day especially, individually, the defencemen. It's vain hope at best.

Personally I'd be very prepared to gas both Benning AND Green if the team staggers it's way out of the gate in 2019-2020. Brackett can draft and almost anyone can trade and sign contracts as well as JB.
What do Smyl, Weisbrod, and a host of Utica related people really bring to the table?

KABOOM!!
How to start an argument on the internet: 1) Post something. 2) Wait.
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-19, 02:08 PM)Marsh Wrote: The Canucks and Benning are in a year of pain if they go with mostly the current lineup IMO. Can JB survive another year missing two top 6 wingers and having a sad sack defence?
Will Tanev and Edler have mainly injury free years?Will Baertschi and Pearson suddenly become reliable top 6 players? Will Hughes be capable of playing defense and not just offense? Will the Canucks have a reasonable year of lost man games to injury? Without a lot of luck for all the above to occur, they are going to spin their wheels yet again. It's frightening for fans and bloggers to expect more from the same caste yet we see defense of the status quo nearly every day especially, individually, the defencemen. It's vain hope at best.

Personally I'd be very prepared to gas both Benning AND Green if the team staggers it's way out of the gate in 2019-2020. Brackett can draft and almost anyone can trade and sign contracts as well as JB.
What do Smyl, Weisbrod, and a host of Utica related people really bring to the table?

KABOOM!!

you have demko and markstrom, and poliot and gudbransson replaced with hughes and juolevi 

not sure how you see that the same as last year, and im pretty sure woo is going to makes things very hard on the coaching staff this fall

your view, particularly towards the prospects is about as negative as one can get, its not even close to realistic
Life... dreams... hope...
Where do they come from?
And where do they go...?

Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Thanks given by:
(2019-05-19, 05:34 PM)binder Wrote:
(2019-05-19, 02:08 PM)Marsh Wrote: The Canucks and Benning are in a year of pain if they go with mostly the current lineup IMO. Can JB survive another year missing two top 6 wingers and having a sad sack defence?

KABOOM!!

you have demko and markstrom, and poliot and gudbransson replaced with hughes and juolevi 

not sure how you see that the same as last year, and im pretty sure woo is going to makes things very hard on the coaching staff this fall

your view, particularly towards the prospects is about as negative as one can get, its not even close to realistic

Goalies were there last year, at least at the end. It's hard to attribute improvement to an already good group in place, especially Markstrom as starter.

The prospects are pretty inexperienced and they are, after all, first year players. You want a defence with up to 4 rookies on it?  Hughes, Juolevi, Brisebois, Sautner. Of which only Hughes has top-2 credentials. We've known all along that the D needs a rework. Now suddenly they are a good enough group? I don't think so. Not 2019-2020.

Quinn-Tanev
Hutton- Stecher
Juolevi
Brisebois-Schenn
Sautner
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-19, 06:17 PM)Marsh Wrote:

KABOOM!!

Goalies were there last year, at least at the end. It's hard to attribute improvement to an already good group in place, especially Markstrom as starter.

The prospects are pretty inexperienced and they are, after all, first year players. You want a defence with up to 4 rookies on it?  Hughes, Juolevi, Brisebois, Sautner. Of which only Hughes has top-2 credentials. We've known all along that the D needs a rework. Now suddenly they are a good enough group? I don't think so. Not 2019-2020.

Quinn-Tanev
Hutton- Stecher
Juolevi
Brisebois-Schenn
Sautner

I don't want Tanev back.  Made of glass. WTH is WRONG with these font controls???
Screw it, you get bolded

Schenn -Quinn  because Schenn is one of the few guys with the balls to go after players who would run Hughes. 
 Edler and Stecher
 Hutton and Brisbois

and Jolevi, if he is ready to go

p.s. anyone remember a guy named Biega? He was our best D man, on some nights. His numbers adjust to 4 plus 32 for a full season, Keep him, if for no other reason that he works his ass off.
  and that's contagious.

So is floating  Angry
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
(2019-05-19, 09:41 PM)Highstyx Wrote:

KABOOM!!

Quinn-Tanev
Hutton- Stecher
Juolevi
Brisebois-Schenn
Sautner

I don't want Tanev back.  Made of glass. WTH is WRONG with these font controls???
Screw it, you get bolded

Schenn -Quinn  because Schenn is one of the few guys with the balls to go after players who would run Hughes. 
 Edler and Stecher
 Hutton and Brisbois

p.s. anyone remember a guy named Biega? He was our best D man, on some nights. His numbers adjust to 4 plus 32 for a full season, Keep him, if for no other reason that he works his ass off.
  and that's contagious.

So is floating  Angry

We have 3 and 1/2 top 6 fowards right now. and 1 and a half top 4 dmen. 

We have like 10 bottom 6 fowards and 6 bottom 2 dmen. 

You can't upgrade all of that with just drafting. not in 2 years. Need to add in F.A and trade to fill the gaps. Bad signings and bad trades ruins the team, good signing takes us deep into the playoffs in 3-5 years.
Thanks given by: Marsh
(Yesterday, 02:08 PM)Sasquatch Wrote:
(2019-05-19, 09:41 PM)Highstyx Wrote:

KABOOM!!

Quinn-Tanev
Hutton- Stecher
Juolevi
Brisebois-Schenn
Sautner

Screw it, you get bolded

Edler and Stecher
 Hutton and Brisbois

and that's contagious.

So is floating  Angry

We have 3 and 1/2 top 6 fowards right now. and 1 and a half top 4 dmen. 

We have like 10 bottom 6 fowards and 6 bottom 2 dmen. 

You can't upgrade all of that with just drafting. not in 2 years. Need to add in F.A and trade to fill the gaps. Bad signings and bad trades ruins the team, good signing takes us deep into the playoffs in 3-5 years.
The Canucks want to be signing free agents they would protect in 2021, or guys they will be willing to expose to Seattle in 2021(ie no NMC). Or trading for them.

They could acquire a couple of guys with a few years of a bad contract left to bridge the development of younger prospects as long as, again, there is no NMC into June 2021. They don't want to sign guys 35+ as these players cap hits count against the team's cap regardless of whether or where the player is active.
Thanks given by: