Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joel Ward signed to professional tryout
Why not, makes sense  :roll eyes:

I understand stocking up on some vets with the hope of them doing well and trading them at the deadline, but I feel we are at a point where the roster spots we have open are better served for giving our younger players a real opportunity this season to develop and gain experience.
Thanks given by:
C'mon, he's only 37.

Geoffie must be on vacation and MB's trying to sneak a pudlington in under the radar. Maybe Ward would play in Laval as a shining example of professionalism to the kids down there.

#youngerandfaster
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 09:54 AM)RightNyder Wrote: C'mon, he's only 37.

Geoffie must be on vacation and MB's trying to sneak a pudlington in under the radar. Maybe Ward would play in Laval as a shining example of professionalism to the kids down there.

#youngerandfaster

Bergevin can't help himself. He was dying to resign Hemsky this season, but even Hemsky told Bergevin no and that this is crazy already
Thanks given by:
The 5-8 goal a season player that MB loves...Imagine the lineup for Team Canada if MB was in charge.
Thanks given by:
Some of these moves are also made to meet minimum requirements for pre-season games.
But, hey, the PTO worked out with Fleischmann and that was panned at the time.
Thanks given by:
Yet another wacky move in the Bizarro World of Bergevin.
With all the 60(!) players in camp, why not add another?
He's had a decent career. Why end it like this, grasping at straws?
Thanks given by: FormalWare , FormalWare
(2018-09-14, 10:08 AM)Guy Smiley Wrote: Some of these moves are also made to meet minimum requirements for pre-season games.

Yes, but our situation was also different back then. 

I am a big Joel Ward fan and would be happy to have him on our team.....5+ years ago. Now perhaps Joel Ward comes in and scores 15 and has a good season and we can trade him for a high 2nd or 3rd round pick and while that is a strategy to use, IMO we should be giving the ice time to our young guys, its time to let them play, let them make mistakes and learn without the constant fear of being punished after every bad shift or game.
Thanks given by:
Can't believe nobody has said this yet so I will violate the trademark:

Meh
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 10:24 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 10:08 AM)Guy Smiley Wrote: Some of these moves are also made to meet minimum requirements for pre-season games.

I am a big Joel Ward fan and would be happy to have him on our team.....5+ years ago. Now perhaps Joel Ward comes in and scores 15 and has a good season and we can trade him for a high 2nd or 3rd round pick and while that is a strategy to use, IMO we should be giving the ice time to our young guys, its time to let them play, let them make mistakes and learn without the constant fear of being punished after every bad shift or game.
 I suspect this is the motive......trade him if he works out.....Laval is stronger, if a kid like Scherbak/Suzuki forces a hand sure...but if not? then maybe Ward gets put into a decent role...performs and nets you a mid rd pick....OR....maybe someone else is on the move too, Ward is a solid vet presence to have around if things go bad...and hey may? either way I see no downside to having him try out...in fact on work ethic alone I can see some of the kids looking at a  ugy like that coming in and fighting being a wake up call to some of them as to what it takes...and what level of desire/competitiveness makes you a guy who has a long career like Ward has.
Thanks given by:
Also they are doing Joel a favour too by keeping him on the ice because a spot my open up on another team (e.e., injury).
Thanks given by:
I'm guessing this is for the possibility that one of our preseason opponents decides to dress a goon. Fight fire with Ward-er.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 11:34 AM)on2ndthought Wrote: I'm guessing this is for the possibility that one of our preseason opponents decides to dress a goon. Fight fire with Ward-er.

Joel Ward is the furthest thing from a goon.
Thanks given by: FormalWare , FormalWare , Bong13 , Bong13
(2018-09-14, 09:54 AM)RightNyder Wrote: C'mon, he's only 37.

#youngerandfaster

#hedidntsayyoungerthan30
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 10:24 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:

Why start now?
Thanks given by:

PTO with Fleischmann 'worked out' because we were able to toss him into a trade deal.

Coming off two eight-goal seasons, he racked up a whopping 10 as a Hab. And he was only 31.

Ward, almost 38 and coming off a five-goal season, is a downgrade even from Fleischmann.

Competition is a good thing, but if Joel Ward makes this team, we should still be damp over the state of our prospect pool, but this particular wetness would be of the weeping variety.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 12:26 PM)RightNyder Wrote:

PTO with Fleischmann 'worked out' because we were able to toss him into a trade deal.

Coming off two eight-goal seasons, he racked up a whopping 10 as a Hab. And he was only 31.

Ward, almost 38 and coming off a five-goal season, is a downgrade even from Fleischmann.

Competition is a good thing, but if Joel Ward makes this team, we should still be damp over the state of our prospect pool, but this particular wetness would be of the weeping variety.

25% improvement year-to-year Mister. That's a high caliber pud right there.
Thanks given by:
This move is designed to give our youngsters a wake up call. If our young players can't beat a 38 year old than we're truly *****.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 11:37 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:
(2018-09-14, 11:34 AM)on2ndthought Wrote: I'm guessing this is for the possibility that one of our preseason opponents decides to dress a goon. Fight fire with Ward-er.

He'll stand up to them, though. I always liked Ward as a player, innumerable times saying he was just what we needed, 5 years ago.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 11:37 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote:

No, he would be the Ward-en.
Thanks given by:
(2018-09-14, 01:23 PM)bchippie Wrote: This move is designed to give our youngsters a wake up call. If our young players can't beat a 38 year old than we're truly *****.

Ales Hemsky was 34 last year and they couldn't beat him....so did they lower the bar?  Wink
Thanks given by: