Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kawhi watch
(2019-07-10, 12:30 PM)Gerry Pigeon Wrote:
(2019-07-10, 12:05 PM)Unreal Wrote: Jalen Rose wasn't wrong about the 2 year deal.

Assuming everyone is healthy, they're all opting out.

That actually makes the Paul George deal that much worse for the Clippers. Can you imagine he signs somewhere else in 2 years after giving up that kind of package?!

We can only hope...lol.?

Seriously.  That would bring some more balance back to the league.  Serve as a cautionary tale.  Yes, the star players call the shots now, but there's still limits...

What would be really interesting is if the FANS could ever figure out how to organize (via social media?) and influence which players go where...take the power out of owners and players hands!

As an aside, I'm a Habs fan, grew up watching my beloved 70's dynasty of Lafleur, Robinson, and Dryden.  Habs have fallen on hard times, much like the Leafs did not so long ago.  A few decades back, a loudmouth sports journalist named Al Strachan wrote a book theorizing the Leafs sucked cause the fans enabled them to, with continued support regardless.  Habs fans doing the same now.

So how do NBA fans discourage star players all congregating on one team?  Or only choosing big US markets to play for?  Can they organize themselves that well?  Or are there too many conflicting motivations (i.e. LA fans have zero interest in discouraging the current trend...)

Interesting idea. Unfortunately fans just don't have that kind of power. It's all about the money.

Right now you can get a better contract if you stay with your current team. I'd like to see the incentive grow significantly. For example, instead of a 5 year, $190 million contract if you stay and a 4 year $140 million if you leave, it's 5 years, $220 million if you say and 4 years, $120 million if you leave.
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-09, 08:17 PM)TheNumber13 Wrote: Kawhi is only 28 years old with two championships and two finals MVPs on his resume. He has a chance to go for the GOAT title now that he has a championship-calibre roster in LA too.

The great thing about all this is that the NBA is now finally balanced. Not just one superteam anymore, but a bunch of great teams.

If Kawhi wins three rings and three Finals MVP's with three different teams and two of those were the Raptors and the Clippers? then he's going to be in the GOAT small forwards conversation. LeBron, Bird, Kawhi.

I don't think he can touch Jordan, but he can be in the top 10 of all time conversation if he wins 5-6 championships.

Thanks given by:
Did Kawhi even release a statement thanking the fans of the Raptors for supporting him? No? Shocker.
I have sex daily. I mean dyslexia.
Thanks given by:
He didn't, but not a surprise. Not expected.

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 12:29 PM)Unreal Wrote: He didn't, but not a surprise. Not expected.

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

It crossed my mind that he might come out with a brief statement, but I guess not.

Unique individual and I guess it is not surprising.
Thanks given by:
He's unique, but certainly not anymore than anyone else - at least not in terms of his lack of response.

At the end of the day it's a business, nothing more.
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 10:30 PM)Unreal Wrote: At the end of the day it's a business, nothing more.

That may be true by definition, but it hardly is by fact.

Millions of people don't come to a parade to celebrate when a business does well. A simple "Thank you Toronto" tweet would mean a lot to the fans, and from where I'm standing, the guy's character.

Imo.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
Kawhi's just that type of guy, doesn't really care about fan interaction. He doesn't do autographs either eh. I can understand it since he's a reserved guy. Plus after just a year with the team, I don't think a goodbye letter would be expected.
Thanks given by:
I guess in the end, the gesture would mean nothing to us.
Thanks given by: