Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LEHKONEN!!!!!!!!
Right now, Lehkonen and Armia are fine third line players. I think Arty can move up to the second line, especially when KK is ready. If Army gets pushed down to the fourth line by any combination of a Gusev-type acquisition, or the development of Ylonen, Ikonen, or Caufield; that can only be good.
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-12, 10:07 AM)habs001 Wrote: The PP has to get better but I am not sure that if the same players play the PP this year that it will be that much better.They may need one or two of the kids to make the team and help the PP.
The power play was starting to show some signs of life (as opposed to being on life support) at the end of the season.  The different structure created by the coaches seemed to help to generate more chances and the buy-in from the players they chose to use was starting to have a positive effect.

The biggest issues were centred around gaining the zone and letting Drouin carry the puck in only to turn it over (a la Gomez) between the blueline and the top of the circle.  Even the much maligned Galchenyuk (at least here) did a better job of that and drove the puck deep into the corners, was money on the PP with that one-timer and yet he still got shipped out of town.

If Drouin doesn't show signs of improvement in his ability to “read and anticipate” the play early next season, then I fear he’ll be traded for yet another 3rd/4th liner because that is what his value will be by that point.

It comes down to, what do you do with an undersized forward who can’t/won’t win board battles, has a good shot, can stickhandle in a phonebooth and yet, forces plays that aren’t there, repeatedly turning the puck over?  

You can’t let him kill momentum on your top 2 lines, you clearly can’t use him on your power play and fugettabout the PK, he doesn’t have the defensive acumen for the 3rd line where you could play him in a shutdown role against lesser talent, and he’s nowhere near physical enough for 4th line duty.

If you were his coach what would you do with him?  Asking for a friend...
Quote:Reg Dunlop - " Boy, every piece of garbage that comes into the league, you gotta buy it."

Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 09:16 AM)Reg Dunlop Wrote:
(2019-07-12, 10:07 AM)habs001 Wrote: The PP has to get better but I am not sure that if the same players play the PP this year that it will be that much better.They may need one or two of the kids to make the team and help the PP.
The power play was starting to show some signs of life (as opposed to being on life support) at the end of the season.  The different structure created by the coaches seemed to help to generate more chances and the buy-in from the players they chose to use was starting to have a positive effect.

The biggest issues were centred around gaining the zone and letting Drouin carry the puck in only to turn it over (a la Gomez) between the blueline and the top of the circle.  Even the much maligned Galchenyuk (at least here) did a better job of that and drove the puck deep into the corners, was money on the PP with that one-timer and yet he still got shipped out of town.

If Drouin doesn't show signs of improvement in his ability to “read and anticipate” the play early next season, then I fear he’ll be traded for yet another 3rd/4th liner because that is what his value will be by that point.

It comes down to, what do you do with an undersized forward who can’t/won’t win board battles, has a good shot, can stickhandle in a phonebooth and yet, forces plays that aren’t there, repeatedly turning the puck over?  

You can’t let him kill momentum on your top 2 lines, you clearly can’t use him on your power play and fugettabout the PK, he doesn’t have the defensive acumen for the 3rd line where you could play him in a shutdown role against lesser talent, and he’s nowhere near physical enough for 4th line duty.

I'd move him from line to line, in a semi-transparent message to MB that I don't know what to do with this player, he doesn't fit anywhere except on another team...
Play not to lose, build around Carey, sell hope, make money.
Thanks given by:
The biggest issues were centred around gaining the zone and letting Drouin carry the puck in only to turn it over (a la Gomez) 

I think Drouin's ideal position on the PP is on his off wing, and as the trigger man. That leaves the half wall position to Jordan Weal??! Unfortunately, that seems to be our current status. Will KK be able to grow into the role? Could Gusev grab the role if he is acquired? 

Who will be able to QB from the point, crossover and set up JD or Weber? Reilly? Maybe, but I think he is our 7 or 8 right now. Kulak? Haven't seen it yet. Mete? Maybe, but once again he has shown nothing of that ability, even though he has not been given that kind of responsibility either. Which forward could assume that duty? I think either Tatar or Domi might be able to run things from back there, see the play well, get the passes through. Both are quick and responsible

Net front presence? Armia has the size, he just needs to to learn the English word for front is different than corner. McCarron? Chiarot?
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 10:23 AM)on2ndthought Wrote:
The biggest issues were centred around gaining the zone and letting Drouin carry the puck in only to turn it over (a la Gomez) 

I think Drouin's ideal position on the PP is on his off wing, and as the trigger man. That leaves the half wall position to Jordan Weal??! Unfortunately, that seems to be our current status. Will KK be able to grow into the role? Could Gusev grab the role if he is acquired? 

Who will be able to QB from the point, crossover and set up JD or Weber? Reilly? Maybe, but I think he is our 7 or 8 right now. Kulak? Haven't seen it yet. Mete? Maybe, but once again he has shown nothing of that ability, even though he has not been given that kind of responsibility either. Which forward could assume that duty? I think either Tatar or Domi might be able to run things from back there, see the play well, get the passes through. Both are quick and responsible

Net front presence? Armia has the size, he just needs to to learn the English word for front is different than corner. McCarron? Chiarot?

I'd say one of the biggest problems on the PP is Weber, or rather, his utilization.

You'd think that having one of the best point bombs in the league would be a PP asset, but not when your over-reliance on setting up said bomb makes you as predictable as Scriptor telling us how to post, or me dropping some purple in there somewhere.

The Rangers started overplaying that shot the last time we were in the playoffs (MB, stay after class and we'll explain what those are for you) and it's been pretty much the same ever since.

And without enough other dangerous options, we're essentially neutered. Because Weber out there is really only good for that one thing (and what a thing it is, if used properly). Have I mentioned (I'm sure I've mentioned, have I mentioned) Shea Weber had only one(!!!) power-play assist last season? John Carlson had 30. Torey Krug (krob's imaginary scout pals say Mete's better than him) had 28. Tyson Barrie 23, Brent Burns 21 and on and on. (Did I also mention Shayne Gostisbehere had 26 PP assists a couple of years back? I should mention that).

Now clearly, those fine fellows have some more elite talent up front to work with than poor Shea, but he's not a facilitator back there. And given the mung that is our LHD, I'd strongly suggest we run four forwards out there, all the time.

It's a changing game. With the size, athleticism, equipment and coaching of the goalies, it's nearly impossible to score on straight-up shots. Yet that's our primary goal out there. Wonder why it doesn't work (note, Nashville was afflicted with the same strange disease)?

I want my best offensive thinkers out there on the PP, to capitalize on the extra time and space, to keep the goalie moving and the defenders guessing. It's why I wouldn't immediately poo-poo the notion of having Weal out there, and would keep Armia as far away as possible. Weal is simply going to process that extra time and space better, and is likely to make better plays. 

The notion of 'get someone in front and get pucks to the net' is a time-honoured tenet. But just throwing a big lug out there who can't do anything with the puck essentially turns it back into something closer to a 4-on-4. The goalie's going to save most point shots, even if he doesn't see them. Having someone like Gallagher, who can slip into space and do something with the puck, as well as be annoying in front, is much more likely to cause concern for a d-man.

Barring a Ghost trade (do it, MB) I'd have Drouin or Domi at the left point and not worry about the odd shortie going the other way, that's why you pay Price $10.5M. I'd (gasp) trot Petry out on the first unit ahead of Weber sometimes, just to force an overall change in thought process and reduce predictability.

Four forwards, less reliance on Weber (which will, counterintuitively, make him more dangerous) and no Armia, please.
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 11:40 AM)RightNyder Wrote:

I'd say one of the biggest problems on the PP is Weber, or rather, his utilization.

You'd think that having one of the best point bombs in the league would be a PP asset, but not when your over-reliance on setting up said bomb makes you as predictable as Scriptor telling us how to post, or me dropping some purple in there somewhere.

The Rangers started overplaying that shot the last time we were in the playoffs (MB, stay after class and we'll explain what those are for you) and it's been pretty much the same ever since.

And without enough other dangerous options, we're essentially neutered. Because Weber out there is really only good for that one thing (and what a thing it is, if used properly). Have I mentioned (I'm sure I've mentioned, have I mentioned) Shea Weber had only one(!!!) power-play assist last season? John Carlson had 30. Torey Krug (krob's imaginary scout pals say Mete's better than him) had 28. Tyson Barrie 23, Brent Burns 21 and on and on. (Did I also mention Shayne Gostisbehere had 26 PP assists a couple of years back? I should mention that).

Now clearly, those fine fellows have some more elite talent up front to work with than poor Shea, but he's not a facilitator back there. And given the mung that is our LHD, I'd strongly suggest we run four forwards out there, all the time.

It's a changing game. With the size, athleticism, equipment and coaching of the goalies, it's nearly impossible to score on straight-up shots. Yet that's our primary goal out there. Wonder why it doesn't work (note, Nashville was afflicted with the same strange disease)?

I want my best offensive thinkers out there on the PP, to capitalize on the extra time and space, to keep the goalie moving and the defenders guessing. It's why I wouldn't immediately poo-poo the notion of having Weal out there, and would keep Armia as far away as possible. Weal is simply going to process that extra time and space better, and is likely to make better plays. 

The notion of 'get someone in front and get pucks to the net' is a time-honoured tenet. But just throwing a big lug out there who can't do anything with the puck essentially turns it back into something closer to a 4-on-4. The goalie's going to save most point shots, even if he doesn't see them. Having someone like Gallagher, who can slip into space and do something with the puck, as well as be annoying in front, is much more likely to cause concern for a d-man.

Barring a Ghost trade (do it, MB) I'd have Drouin or Domi at the left point and not worry about the odd shortie going the other way, that's why you pay Price $10.5M. I'd (gasp) trot Petry out on the first unit ahead of Weber sometimes, just to force an overall change in thought process and reduce predictability.

Four forwards, less reliance on Weber (which will, counterintuitively, make him more dangerous) and no Armia, please.
I'm definitely not sold on Armia as the net front guy. But really, if your job is to just block the goalie's vision and pot the occasional rebound, he should be able to do that.

But Weber SHOULD be out there. His shot is not just hard, it has purpose. He is good at getting into position, we just need someone to get the puck to him. I also want the other team to key on him. That gives my other sniper (Drouin, on his offside) lots of better looks at the net, with the right side of the box focused on Shea.

And yes, we need a 'Markov' type passer back there, but not JD. At least not until he stops overthinking with the puck.

4 forwards, Weber (Petry on the second wave); and make it work, Captain Kirk!
Thanks given by:
The PP started to improve with the play of two players, Weal and Danault. In the case of Danault, it was interesting to see a center winning the faceoff and not having to fetch the puck deep in our zone. Julien didn’t want to use Danault on the PP because he was the only go to guy to take a faceoff in the defensive zone. The arrival of Thompson changed that dynamic as he took some D assignments from Danault.
"Only one thing matters in life, and it's the cup"  
                                            - Caresse Crosby

Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 08:26 PM)on2ndthought Wrote:

I'm definitely not sold on Armia as the net front guy. But really, if your job is to just block the goalie's vision and pot the occasional rebound, he should be able to do that.

But Weber SHOULD be out there. His shot is not just hard, it has purpose. He is good at getting into position, we just need someone to get the puck to him. I also want the other team to key on him. That gives my other sniper (Drouin, on his offside) lots of better looks at the net, with the right side of the box focused on Shea.

And yes, we need a 'Markov' type passer back there, but not JD. At least not until he stops overthinking with the puck.

Weber's hammer (and his big shot) should of course be out there provided there's a legit facilitator beside him. If he's back there trying to do that type of stuff himself, after his shot has been overplayed constantly, he's going to end up with one(!!!) power-play assist (did I mention he had one power-play assist last year? The legend that was RDS had twice as many...). I'm just saying change it up sometimes to ingrain the notion he's not always the focus or the crutch to rely on. 'Cause goals from the point as a strategy just doesn't work that well.

And blocking the goalie's vision with the way they're able to cover so much of the net these days I'd say is less important than getting him to constantly move east-west. That's where your skill and your thinkers come in. Armia is neither of those. I'd trot your pudly pal Weal out there 100 times before I sent Armia out there once.

And I absolutely think Drouin and Domi should be the prime candidates for the 'point forward' post. It would allow us more set plays to work from up high to down low and/or back into the middle. Let them control the tempo and be the focus of the other team... then you'll free up Weber for more one-timers where the goalie was moving instead of stationary.

I just wonder if Dauterive has the stomach to adopt the four forwards deal full-time. A shortie or two and Mete's Muffin or the snuggly safety of Chiarot might quickly become the norm.

If I'm only allowed one change, though, it's no Armia.
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 08:49 PM)Leb7 Wrote: The PP started to improve with the play of two players, Weal and Danault. In the case of Danault, it was interesting to see a center winning the faceoff and not having to fetch the puck deep in our zone. Julien didn’t want to use Danault on the PP because he was the only go to guy to take a faceoff in the defensive zone. The arrival of Thompson changed that dynamic as he took some D assignments from Danault.

Have to agree with Leb that half the battle was actually winning F/Os on the PP and not wasting the first 30 or so seconds of each PP recuperating pucks dumped back into our own zone. Already behind, the plays afterwards were routinely rushed to make up for lost time.

Finally playing Danault on the PP (even if some of you can't imagine that being any good) certainly helped us generate more scoring opportunities with more F/Os won and more confidence gained from it.

If Poehling can win F/Os, he might quickly become a fixture of the team's first wave on the PP. Added to that, his size in front of the net could help create more confusion in front of the opposing net, whether just from shielding the opposing G's view of the puck or off the rebounds that this might generate.

The ores-season games could quickly shed some light on Poehling's worth in the dot for the PP.

As an aside, hopefully, Kotkaniemi is better on the draw this season and solidifies a role as Center for the first PP wave. That would help him gain more points and confidence and help him progress in his sophomore season.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2019-07-13, 08:55 PM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2019-07-13, 08:26 PM)on2ndthought Wrote:
(2019-07-13, 09:16 AM)Reg Dunlop Wrote: The biggest issues were centred around gaining the zone and letting Drouin carry the puck in only to turn it over (a la Gomez) 

Weber's hammer (and his big shot) should of course be out there provided there's a legit facilitator beside him. If he's back there trying to do that type of stuff himself, after his shot has been overplayed constantly, he's going to end up with one(!!!) power-play assist (did I mention he had one power-play assist last year? The legend that was RDS had twice as many...). I'm just saying change it up sometimes to ingrain the notion he's not always the focus or the crutch to rely on. 'Cause goals from the point as a strategy just doesn't work that well.

And blocking the goalie's vision with the way they're able to cover so much of the net these days I'd say is less important than getting him to constantly move east-west. That's where your skill and your thinkers come in. Armia is neither of those. I'd trot your pudly pal Weal out there 100 times before I sent Armia out there once.

And I absolutely think Drouin and Domi should be the prime candidates for the 'point forward' post. It would allow us more set plays to work from up high to down low and/or back into the middle. Let them control the tempo and be the focus of the other team... then you'll free up Weber for more one-timers where the goalie was moving instead of stationary.

I just wonder if Dauterive has the stomach to adopt the four forwards deal full-time. A shortie or two and Mete's Muffin or the snuggly safety of Chiarot might quickly become the norm.

If I'm only allowed one change, though, it's no Armia.

Doesn't matter who you trot out or where you put them, Habs PP will suck.  

There's no one with the skill and brain that can QB this thing, and like Reg likes to point out, the players without the puck have to help by getting open, and ours aren't smart enough to do so.  

Markov was our last PP QB, smart enough to see his options, skilled enough to execute, and feared enough that he froze penalty killers.  Neither Drouin or Domi can do the same, sadly...
Play not to lose, build around Carey, sell hope, make money.
Thanks given by: