Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Leafs want to talk to Tavares prior to the Draft...offering Picks"
(2018-03-19, 11:21 PM)hobster Wrote: Why does TO need to improve the d?

Do we need a perfect d comprised of perfect d-men in order to be competitive?

I just checked the Leaf's position in GAA category and I see the Leafs have the 8th best GAA in the league. I've heard that Vasilevskiy is a shoe in for the Vezina and he has Hedman and Stralman and now McDonough in front of him. TB is only 2 goals better than the Leafs.

Polak gets little love but what should we expect for 1 mil. per year, Chara in his prime? Gardiner the perennial stats champion of the Leaf d gets 4 mil. so he's arguably TO's best d-man, do we need to find someone like Hedman pay him 7.8 mil. so we can shave 2 goals against after 72 games.

We have a lot of home team anxiety that's fed by ourselves and the media, multiple networks that dwell on every mistake like somehow TO is the only team that makes mistakes, the only team that has goals scored against.

The d we have is already superior and the team is improving game by game, week by week.......

GA/GP, Toronto is 12th.  
SA/GP, Toronto is 28th

Our weakness is still D... specifically Right side D.  Doesn't need to be perfect, but it does need improvement... afterall, I think most people would agree, that if you want to be the best, you have to strive to improve and to be able to recognize what does need the most improvement.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-20, 03:54 AM)Fogelhund Wrote:

I just checked the Leaf's position in GAA category and I see the Leafs have the 8th best GAA in the league. I've heard that Vasilevskiy is a shoe in for the Vezina and he has Hedman and Stralman and now McDonough in front of him. TB is only 2 goals better than the Leafs.

Polak gets little love but what should we expect for 1 mil. per year, Chara in his prime? Gardiner the perennial stats champion of the Leaf d gets 4 mil. so he's arguably TO's best d-man, do we need to find someone like Hedman pay him 7.8 mil. so we can shave 2 goals against after 72 games.

We have a lot of home team anxiety that's fed by ourselves and the media, multiple networks that dwell on every mistake like somehow TO is the only team that makes mistakes, the only team that has goals scored against.

The d we have is already superior and the team is improving game by game, week by week.......

GA/GP, Toronto is 12th.  
SA/GP, Toronto is 28th

Our weakness is still D... specifically Right side D.  Doesn't need to be perfect, but it does need improvement... afterall, I think most people would agree, that if you want to be the best, you have to strive to improve and to be able to recognize what does need the most improvement.

Is there a team in the NHL that's satisfied with their roster?

The TDL shows every year that even the regular season champs want to improve.

Improving is of course good/great but at what cost, throwing tons of money/term at aging UFAs or trading a Marner/Nylander for an upgrade.

The SA/GP is more a result of the forwards inability to be possession players so I expect a lot the defensive improvement will result from the experience the forwards will gain.  

I'd love to see JVR resigned to keep the offensive balance TO has, it's a balance that is superior and as the forwards get better the defensive and offensive records will improve.

Will an upgrade on d result in a better record/team maybe but I don't think so without the forwards ability to control the game also being enhanced. Trading away our superior forwards to enhance another position could very well be counter productive, populating the roster with over priced UFAs can also be as perilous. 

Signing Marleau at the expense of JVR, is that a proper move?
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-20, 12:08 PM)hobster Wrote:

GA/GP, Toronto is 12th.  
SA/GP, Toronto is 28th

Improving is of course good/great but at what cost, throwing tons of money/term at aging UFAs or trading a Marner/Nylander for an upgrade.

The SA/GP is more a result of the forwards inability to be possession players so I expect a lot the defensive improvement will result from the experience the forwards will gain.  

I'd love to see JVR resigned to keep the offensive balance TO has, it's a balance that is superior and as the forwards get better the defensive and offensive records will improve.

Will an upgrade on d result in a better record/team maybe but I don't think so without the forwards ability to control the game also being enhanced. Trading away our superior forwards to enhance another position could very well be counter productive, populating the roster with over priced UFAs can also be as perilous. 

Jvr is one of the worst problems defensively. Offensively he is magic in front of the net. Problem is he doesn't do much else. I'm good with letting him walk. In a few years he might not be scoring and then what are you paying him for.

A guy like Carlsson would fix the defense quick. He would make everyone slot down so they are not playing out of position. Reilly slots down to 2. Gardiner to 3 and so on.
Thanks given by:
The Leafs are an ordinary season by Andersen away from being a bubble team. That's why you need to improve your defense.

Plus playoff hockey.
Thanks given by: Sportking , thebest41587
(2018-03-20, 02:13 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2018-03-20, 12:08 PM)hobster Wrote:

GA/GP, Toronto is 12th.  
SA/GP, Toronto is 28th

Jvr is one of the worst problems defensively. Offensively he is magic in front of the net. Problem is he doesn't do much else. I'm good with letting him walk. In a few years he might not be scoring and then what are you paying him for.

A guy like Carlsson would fix the defense quick. He would make everyone slot down so they are not playing out of position. Reilly slots down to 2. Gardiner to 3 and so on.
I think Carlson is overrated, I'd like a stronger addition. A true number 1 or 2 but I know it's easier said than done

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-20, 02:40 PM)Limestoner Wrote: The Leafs are an ordinary season by Andersen away from being a bubble team. That's why you need to improve your defense.

Plus playoff hockey.

I can think of superior teams both offensively and defensively that don't make the playoffs because of sub par goaltending, Winterpeg comes to mind right off the top of my head. All teams no matter how good are bubble teams without good to great goaltending. 

GAA is very much a team stat as evidenced by a team like Boston with an aging Chara, an offensive dynamo in Krug and McAvoy the rookie whose defensive record is better than TO by 18 whole goals. It's another year that Rask or Bergeron are considered their MVP but what I've noticed is that when TO plays them their possession is far superior to TO's. They take 40 shots against TO, TO takes 20 to 25 shots against them, TO can't figure a way to get thru the dead zone meanwhile Boston has no problem, that's a forward issue for TO that will/does make our d look far worse than it is. The Boston forwards hound the puck every where TO's forwards wave their sticks at the opposition.

There is hope for TO as we can expect Babs to weave his magic which so far has improved Kadri, Nylander appears to be buying in, Matthews too and possibly eventually Marner, Bozak and JVR will too. It's because of some forwards actually trying to be relevant at all times so while the volume of shots hasn't diminished but the quality of those shots isn't as dangerous as in the past. Without the added forward support TO's GAA would be in the lower rungs of the NHL no matter how great Andersen's heroics.

I think far too many people discount the role of forwards in defense and like any team accomplishment the whole team needs to be working towards improving.

Having a higher paid d-man, a better d-man will also mean there isn't enough money to go around so you end up with more Polaks, more Carricks or a less dynamic offense or worse goaltending.
Thanks given by:
Yup... this teams D is good enough.... lol
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-20, 08:48 PM)Fogelhund Wrote: Yup... this teams D is good enough.... lol

So you blame tonite's loss on the d? When the forwards had the resolve, the fortitude TO dominated thru 2 periods then in the 3rd the puck lived in TO's end, for me it seemed it was TO's d against the 5 TB skaters.

I see what mean tho TO's 2 d-men should have been able to stop all 3 of TB's players during the line change.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-19, 11:21 PM)hobster Wrote: The d we have is already superior and the team is improving game by game, week by week.......

This team gets exposed against strong offensive teams, time and time again.... The D isn't superior.

Your first line of Defense, is the goalie...

The second line, the defense.    We have some very good PMD, offensive guys, but no real anchors on D.   Well, I mean, Polak sometimes skates like he has an anchor tied to him....

Sure, the Forwards need to be better on the D side... but ultimately, the D has more responsibility there, and we need an upgrade or two.  Attempting to deflect that, is ignoring the realities.  Adding a star C, isn't going to help collapses like tonight at all.
Thanks given by:
I like JvR, he's been a very good player for us. He's probably earned somewhere in the $6-7.5 million per range, that he is likely to get. That being said, it's a cap world. I'd rather have Tavares at $10 mil per, than JvR at $7 per... and I'm not for signing Tavares. How about allocating that Cap towards someone like John Carlson instead? Helps our RHD situation, which is in all probability a greater need.

I'd love to keep JvR, in a world where we didn't have to worry about what we spend.. but it's choosing where to spend that cap wisely. A shame... I'd love to have JvR starting now, on that LT $4.25 hit.

Also note, career shooting percentage... 11.5%, this year 15.4%. He's having a career year. If he's getting normal "luck" and shooting percentage, he's on 24 goals, and 40 points total so far in the year. That's 27 goal pace for the year and 45 points total. Is that worth $6 mil plus on the cap? When there is little else brought to the table? And keep in mind, shooting percentages, good, or bad, tend to regress back to the mean.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-21, 07:23 AM)Fogelhund Wrote:
(2018-03-19, 11:21 PM)hobster Wrote: The d we have is already superior and the team is improving game by game, week by week.......

This team gets exposed against strong offensive teams, time and time again.... The D isn't superior.

The second line, the defense.    We have some very good PMD, offensive guys, but no real anchors on D.   Well, I mean, Polak sometimes skates like he has an anchor tied to him....

Sure, the Forwards need to be better on the D side... but ultimately, the D has more responsibility there, and we need an upgrade or two.  Attempting to deflect that, is ignoring the realities.  Adding a star C, isn't going to help collapses like tonight at all.

Did you notice that TO's prized TDL acquisition that cost a 2nd was puck watching while a player who was 3 feet from him scored. The d-men were actually doing d-men things.

LV has a better GAA than TO and I doubt they have better d-men than TO's top 3, Pitts won the Cup last year and again it can be argued whether or not their d minus Letang had anyone better than TO's top 3 d-men.

I fail to see from what I seen that a conclusion d isn't a team issue and expecting that throwing greater amounts of money at d-men will have magical positive results just doesn't make sense to me.

I also noticed that TO has the 4th highest scoring d corps in the NHL, as per the TSN graphic last night, so it seems the d is properly supporting the o.

All teams get exposed by superior offensive teams but if the entire team is paying due diligence the exposure is less pronounced. We seen last night that thru 2 periods when everyone appeared to be doing their jobs both with and without the puck TO can dominate even superior teams, part of the process is now for Babs and CO. to get everyone to buy in more often.
Thanks given by:

We need one possibly two of those Dmen..then our team will be ready to compete with the top teams..we have too many PMD who are smallish and do not hit.we need an upgrade major upgrade on a Polak type guy..
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-21, 12:20 PM)hobster Wrote:

Did you notice that TO's prized TDL acquisition that cost a 2nd was puck watching while a player who was 3 feet from him scored. The d-men were actually doing d-men things.

LV has a better GAA than TO and I doubt they have better d-men than TO's top 3, Pitts won the Cup last year and again it can be argued whether or not their d minus Letang had anyone better than TO's top 3 d-men.

I fail to see from what I seen that a conclusion d isn't a team issue and expecting that throwing greater amounts of money at d-men will have magical positive results just doesn't make sense to me.

I also noticed that TO has the 4th highest scoring d corps in the NHL, as per the TSN graphic last night, so it seems the d is properly supporting the o.

All teams get exposed by superior offensive teams but if the entire team is paying due diligence the exposure is less pronounced. We seen last night that thru 2 periods when everyone appeared to be doing their jobs both with and without the puck TO can dominate even superior teams, part of the process is now for Babs and CO. to get everyone to buy in more often.

I have to be honest.  Your English is so terrible, that your point seems to be lost.
Thanks given by:
Ya, sometimes when I get a chance to reread my posts I'm a little less than pleased with how it's written.

I'm basically saying, for those who don't get me, that solutions to TO's problems aren't always cured by throwing money at them.
Thanks given by: