Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legit alternatives to the big cable companies?
I saw online a company called setnow offering 500 channels for $25 mth 

Anyone know of legit companies out there that just uses internet and a device or something?
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-12, 11:24 PM)cflisthebest Wrote: I saw online a company called setnow offering 500 channels for $25 mth 

Anyone know of legit companies out there that just uses internet and a device or something?

If by legit you mean legal then the company offering 500 channels for $25 likely isn't. There are companies like Zazeen that are legal but I don't find they're enough of a rebate for me to switch. I call Videotron once every couple of years and tell them I'm looking at switching and I'll get a rebate.

EBox might be another option when they finally offer IPTV.

If you are looking at illegal sources, there are a ton out there. Some are decent quality wise but you should not pay any of them too much money up front as they could fold at any time. I've also tried to like a PC or android setup like Kodi but find that it isn't worth the hassle. To me, it's like the feeling I got decades ago trying real hard to like Linux. Linux is fine now but it was for tinkerers then.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
I think that the rule in Canada is that you have to offer internet to be able to offer IPTV. Any company offering only IPTV is likely illegal. And $25 per month for illegal IPTV is on the high side I think although setnow claims to support three tvs.
Thanks given by:
I just checked Zazeen and it would cost me more than Videotron, plus I would have the hassle of changing set top boxes.

VMedia is another legal one in Canada.
Thanks given by:
I've been with Shaw forever for cable and internet but I haven't even been in contact with them in like 5 plus years - I really should get in touch and negotiate a better deal - I'm sure I'm paying a crapload more than I need to be - all because of laziness.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-13, 06:20 AM)Pouzar Wrote: I've been with Shaw forever for cable and internet but I haven't even been in contact with them in like 5 plus years - I really should get in touch and negotiate a better deal - I'm sure I'm paying a crapload more than I need to be - all because of laziness.

Oh god yes. And make sure the deal they are giving you isn't for 6 months only.

I find that the other advantage of staying with Videotron is that if one of my set top boxes conks out, I can find a ton of them on Kijiji. HD recorders that Videotron sells for $500+ are routinely on there for $50-75. And Videotron knows it. I had one of their recorders on a 24 month free rental period and when the period ran out I told them I would bring it back and get one on Kijiji and they just told me to keep theirs for another 24 months free. You can find some VMedia Vboxes but not many. Not even sure what Zazeen uses.
Thanks given by:
If you want to pay for illegal IPTV, here's an example where for $15 per month (probably for one TV though), you literally get hundreds of channels, including several premium ones line Movie Channels. Like for most of these illegal offerings, some of the stations will be in HD but many will not, you might get a ton of buffering and the signal may stop at any time. I think the best deal I've ever seen for pretty much the same TV lineup I linked to above was $70 total for 6 months.

So you can definitely save a ton of money if quality isn't a priority but I prefer my TV stable and hassle free.
Thanks given by:
Tell me again why people think that watching TV and listening to music should all of a sudden be free or dirt cheap?

People on the Letterkenny facebook group are always asking for free downloads of the show. If you enjoy these guys so much why would you not be willing to pay a fee for them entertaining you?

Would you like more seasons?
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-13, 11:30 AM)Bong13 Wrote: Tell me again why people think that watching TV and listening to music should all of a sudden be free or dirt cheap?

People on the Letterkenny facebook group are always asking for free downloads of the show. If you enjoy these guys so much why would you not be willing to pay a fee for them entertaining you?

That's what I tell friends that tease me for paying for netflix, google play, etc... I want to support the artists/creators however I can until I can actually buy all of their albums/seasons series. Its super easy these days for music and tv shows. Sports are a different story.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-13, 11:30 AM)Bong13 Wrote: Tell me again why people think that watching TV and listening to music should all of a sudden be free or dirt cheap?

What I would actually like to see is famous musicians forming a consortium of artists and launching a competitor to Deezer and others where most of the money would go to the artists instead of the pittance they get now. Root out the middle man as it were.

But the genie is kinda out of the bottle...as soon as they close Kodi add-ons or streaming websites, more crop up, often clones of the ones just shut down but on a different domain. It is very much like the war on drugs. Good luck winning it.
Thanks given by:

I agree,

At the same time the cable companies, content distributors and retail outlets have negotiated such lucrative deals that they basically overcharge for the content as well. 

I pay for Cable, Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Will buy the occasional cd or movie that I previously watched and enjoyed and also go to the theatre for a night out. 

However when I go to buy content and it is clearly overpriced for no other logical reason than to make a company insanely rich. That's where I draw the line.....How much is enough?

For those reasons I also have Kodi and will continue to use it to balance out the greed.
Thanks given by:

Because for decades the cable and music industry  gouged the people because they had no other alternative. And even when new tech showed up that SHOULD have changed things the industry fought (and is still fighting) tooth and nail to kill it so they could keep gouging people.
Thanks given by: Sportking
(2018-03-14, 01:27 PM)Andrew Wrote:

Because for decades the cable and music industry  gouged the people because they had no other alternative. And even when new tech showed up that SHOULD have changed things the industry fought (and is still fighting) tooth and nail to kill it so they could keep gouging people.

Remember when CDs, often with 1-2 good songs, were $25? I do.
Thanks given by:
(2018-03-14, 06:12 PM)Captain aHab Wrote:
(2018-03-14, 01:27 PM)Andrew Wrote:

Remember when CDs, often with 1-2 good songs, were $25? I do.

wait wtf????

I stopped myself from buying an album right now because it was $15, but if I saw it for like $25 I'd shit myself lol
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by: