• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Let the Crazy season Begin. Buyouts open Tuesday night late
Strome/ Perlini to Chicago for Nick Schmaltz

Wow Arizona gives up on guys
Thanks given by:
Full trade here

https://mobile.twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/s...9565328385
Thanks given by:
I still don't get why Phoenix picked him over Hanifin or Marner. Hopefully he reaches his potential in Chicago
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Strome was highly regarded that draft year. Hey it happens. Some guys just don't pan out. It's not necessarily anyone's fault.

Yakupov was a bust & were seeing it all over again with Puljujarvi. Oil fans love playing the blame game, saying it's the teams fault for not handling him properly,etc.

Sometimes it's just as simple as players not panning out. The draft is still a crap shoot & there WILL be busts. I just wish we would stop drafting the majority of them!
Thanks given by:
Puljujarvi is over a year younger that Strome - plenty of time.

As far as the trade, maybe ARI is giving up on Strome but Schmaltz is currently the best player in the deal and only a year older than Strome.
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-26, 02:16 AM)CTS Wrote: Sometimes it's just as simple as players not panning out.   The draft is still a crap shoot & there WILL be busts.   I just wish we would stop drafting the majority of them!

This can not be repeated enough, imo. A huge part of it is luck.
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
I don't know if there is a single draft that I can think of where the top 5 wouldn't be drastically different if the benefit of hindsight were afforded to the teams picking players.

Hell, most of them you're lucky if you get 3 of the top 5 who hold their draft status within 5 years of being picked.

In 15 it was Strome and arguably Hanifin. Hanifin is far from a bust, but show of hands those who would take him over Rantanen right now?

In 14, you had Reinhart, Bennett and Dal Colle...2 of which wouldn't even go in the first round if you re-drafted. The guy who likely would have gone 1st overall (David Pastrnak) wasn't picked until the 25th OA pick.

In 16, you can guarantee that neither Juolevi or Puljujarvi go where they went (likely not even top 10), and that's only 2 years ago.

17? Too early to say much, but Pettersson would be the consensus #1 by a mile right now.

2013 is one of the only ones in recent memory where the 'hindsight top 10' picks would likely all be players who were actually taken in the top 15.

Almost without fail though, the guys who you look back, almost instantly, and go "how did that guy drop" (DeBrincat, Point, Arvidsson, Aho, Konecny)...are all guys under six feet tall, and on the wrong side of 190lbs.

Most of the guys who went earlier than they should (Strome, Zacha, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Crouse, Puljujarvi, Morin) are all 6'2" or bigger.

The game is transitioning much more towards speed and skill, but on draft day, teams still have the tendency to overvalue the big boys. To me, I'll take my chances that a skilled kid who is 5'10" 170lbs at age 17 will grow a bit and add weight/strength, 100% of the time over a bigger kid that you're hoping can find NHL speed and skill.
Thanks given by: SAVARYGUY
(2018-11-25, 11:22 PM)bicboi Wrote: I still don't get why Phoenix picked him over Hanifin or Marner. Hopefully he reaches his potential in Chicago

I remember needing an umbrella in the Leafs forum that year when Strome was drafted 3td. Some Leafs fans wanted him very very badly, he was ranked high for a reason and the fear with Marner was he was too small for the NHL while Strome was big and skilled. I'm sure those Leafs fans are pretty happy Strome didnt fall to them now.

You just never know with the draft, the year Puljujarvi was picked, I remember throughout the whole year leading up to the draft it was all about McDavid and the "two Finns". Whenever Laine was mentioned so was Jesse Puljuaravi and most experts claimed they could go 2-3 interchangeabley and Laine wasn't the clear cut #2 until probably right before draft day. So at least Winnipeg got it right and Puljujarvi fell to the Oilers where I still remember Chiarellis cocky dumbfounded face acting all snobby that he was about to pick the guy who could have gone after McDavid.
Thanks given by:
Habs place karl alzner on waivers. He still has 3 years left at 4.6 cap hit. I'm so glad the leafs didn't sign that guy
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-26, 12:15 PM)Wulfgar85 Wrote: Habs place karl alzner on waivers. He still has 3 years left at 4.6 cap hit. I'm so glad the leafs didn't sign that guy

I would take Alzner in a trade for Lucic in a heart beat!
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-26, 08:25 AM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I don't know if there is a single draft that I can think of where the top 5 wouldn't be drastically different if the benefit of hindsight were afforded to the teams picking players.

Hell, most of them you're lucky if you get 3 of the top 5 who hold their draft status within 5 years of being picked.

In 15 it was Strome and arguably Hanifin. Hanifin is far from a bust, but show of hands those who would take him over Rantanen right now?

In 14, you had Reinhart, Bennett and Dal Colle...2 of which wouldn't even go in the first round if you re-drafted. The guy who likely would have gone 1st overall (David Pastrnak) wasn't picked until the 25th OA pick.

In 16, you can guarantee that neither Juolevi or Puljujarvi go where they went (likely not even top 10), and that's only 2 years ago.

17? Too early to say much, but Pettersson would be the consensus #1 by a mile right now.

2013 is one of the only ones in recent memory where the 'hindsight top 10' picks would likely all be players who were actually taken in the top 15.

Almost without fail though, the guys who you look back, almost instantly, and go "how did that guy drop" (DeBrincat, Point, Arvidsson, Aho, Konecny)...are all guys under six feet tall, and on the wrong side of 190lbs.

Most of the guys who went earlier than they should (Strome, Zacha, Dal Colle, Ritchie, Crouse, Puljujarvi, Morin) are all 6'2" or bigger.

The game is transitioning much more towards speed and skill, but on draft day, teams still have the tendency to overvalue the big boys. To me, I'll take my chances that a skilled kid who is 5'10" 170lbs at age 17 will grow a bit and add weight/strength, 100% of the time over a bigger kid that you're hoping can find NHL speed and skill.

For sure Bo, 

It's also a case of teams developing players properly... 

Sure, some can be slow cooked and still end up being duds, but in many cases some of the higher end picks take longer to figure it all out before others.

Canuck fans weren't all that happy when Juolevi was taken at 5, but he spent last year in Finland in their top league and this year he's in Utica and leading all rookie DMen in scoring... He still needs work on the defensive side, but he's 20 and he's slowly but surely "getting it". 

Not sure if this approach would have helped Puljujarvi... but it probably wouldn't have hurt.

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2018-11-26, 09:25 AM)Ryu65 Wrote:
(2018-11-25, 11:22 PM)bicboi Wrote: I still don't get why Phoenix picked him over Hanifin or Marner. Hopefully he reaches his potential in Chicago

I remember needing an umbrella in the Leafs forum that year when Strome was drafted 3td. Some Leafs fans wanted him very very badly, he was ranked high for a reason and the fear with Marner was he was too small for the NHL while Strome was big and skilled. I'm sure those Leafs fans are pretty happy Strome didnt fall to them now.

You just never know with the draft, the year Puljujarvi was picked, I remember throughout the whole year leading up to the draft it was all about McDavid and the "two Finns". Whenever Laine was mentioned so was Jesse Puljuaravi and most experts claimed they could go 2-3 interchangeabley and Laine wasn't the clear cut #2 until probably right before draft day. So at least Winnipeg got it right and Puljujarvi fell to the Oilers where I still remember Chiarellis cocky dumbfounded face acting all snobby that he was about to pick the guy who could have gone after McDavid.

The Finns were the year after McDavid draft, picked after Matthews.

I do remember all the talk about how the Finns could be picked in either order, until close to the end of the season when Laine pulled ahead.
Thanks given by:
Yes sorry, Eichel was 2nd to McDavid but my point stands regarding the Finns.
Thanks given by:
https://www.tsn.ca/hurricanes-place-g-da...-1.1218046
Darling on waivers
Don’t blame the butter for what the bread did
Thanks given by:
Too bad for Darling. His was a really good story. It still is a good story, but it would have been nice if he had more success in Carolina.
Thanks given by:
So I guess McEihinney is their starter now?

Thanks given by: