Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louis Leblanc- very good read
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/podiu...n-montreal

I just read this article. It's EXCELLENT. I really enjoyed hearing the story from his view. I thought it was important to share.

Sorry its in French, not sure how well google translate will do. But some really interesting stuff.

He didnt know how interested Mtl was at draft but new Buff and Ana were, but they picked Kassian and Holland.

His dream was always to go to Havard. He had that opportunity. Mtl never put a gun to his head but he felt pressure that they wanted him in the Q. (He will always wonder if he made a mistake or how things may have been diff if he had stayed at Harvard)

Habs told him that after a yr in Q they would give him opportunity with Habs. They did. He played 42 games with Habs in his 1st pro season.. Then coach got fired, he didnt play much. Then everyone in managament gets let go that summer.

In summer he worked hard came to camp. Felt he played real well but was part of first cuts. Gets to Ahl and new coach SL...never felt such a cold reception. Wasnt sure why or what was going on...but he is placed on the 3rd line, and no PP.

À mon arrivée, j’ai ressenti immédiatement que quelque chose clochait. Il y avait un froid. Avec les entraîneurs, peut-être? Je ne le sais pas. Pourtant, je n’étais pas arrogant.

Je n’avais jamais vécu ça. J’avais l’impression de ne pas être le bienvenu. J’avais gravi les échelons dans le hockey et je m’étais toujours senti à ma place, autant physiquement que mentalement.

Jusqu’à ce moment.
 WOW TO ME THIS IS VERY INTERESTING. We talk about how we think SL was a bad coach. To me this is proof.

He then gets injured. Misses 6 weeks and returns to same situation but worse as he wasnt playing well at all.

Was very disappointed but worked hard in summer, came to camp and had great camp..but again part of 1st cuts. Lost his confidence. Played in Ahl. Season ended and so was his 3 yr ELC.

Je réalise aujourd’hui que pendant cette année-là, à force de me questionner, j’ai complètement perdu mes repères. Je revois parfois des matchs de cette époque et le gars que je vois sur la patinoire, ce n’est pas moi.

Quel est mon rôle? Quelles sont mes habiletés? Je m’en vais où? Ça tournait vite dans ma tête, mais j’essayais de garder le cap. Je n’ai pas su trouver la solution.

Moves to Ana following season and is sent to Ahl being told he would be first call up. He never was called up. Following year went to NYI camp but injured. He ends up going overseas.

Comes back that summer and at 25 decided to retire from NHL. He now is an Asst coach at Harvard and finishing up his degree. Hopes to be a NHL GM one day.

Isnt really sure how it all ended that way. He had always been the best player on his team and ended up losing his confidence and things just went down fast.

Thats a Reeeeallly quick recap. And know that French is my 2nd language so there were some words I wasnt sure of. Best to read it straight from his mouth. Lots of insight. Says he isnt upset with Habs, if he had to do it again he would still hope to be drafted by Mtl. Even goes for a beer with MB when he is in Boston.

-------

Have a read. I would love to hear what u found interesting from his story.
Thanks given by: FormalWare
I for one am shocked - SHOCKED - that Sly and the Family Pud couldn't help the kid along. 22 points in 31 games under Jodoin, then falls off a cliff with shytgibbon lite.

Shocked I tell you.
Thanks given by: FormalWare , FormalWare
(2019-02-12, 10:43 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/podiu...n-montreal

I just read this article. It's EXCELLENT. I really enjoyed hearing the story from his view. I thought it was important to share.

Sorry its in French, not sure how well google translate will do. But some really interesting stuff.

He didnt know how interested Mtl was at draft but new Buff and Ana were, but they picked Kassian and Holland.

His dream was always to go to Havard. He had that opportunity. Mtl never put a gun to his head but he felt pressure that they wanted him in the Q. (He will always wonder if he made a mistake or how things may have been diff if he had stayed at Harvard)

Habs told him that after a yr in Q they would give him opportunity with Habs. They did. He played 42 games with Habs in his 1st pro season.. Then coach got fired, he didnt play much. Then everyone in managament gets let go that summer.

In summer he worked hard came to camp. Felt he played real well but was part of first cuts. Gets to Ahl and new coach SL...never felt such a cold reception. Wasnt sure why or what was going on...but he is placed on the 3rd line, and no PP.

À mon arrivée, j’ai ressenti immédiatement que quelque chose clochait. Il y avait un froid. Avec les entraîneurs, peut-être? Je ne le sais pas. Pourtant, je n’étais pas arrogant.

Je n’avais jamais vécu ça. J’avais l’impression de ne pas être le bienvenu. J’avais gravi les échelons dans le hockey et je m’étais toujours senti à ma place, autant physiquement que mentalement.

Jusqu’à ce moment.
 WOW TO ME THIS IS VERY INTERESTING. We talk about how we think SL was a bad coach. To me this is proof.

He then gets injured. Misses 6 weeks and returns to same situation but worse as he wasnt playing well at all.

Was very disappointed but worked hard in summer, came to camp and had great camp..but again part of 1st cuts. Lost his confidence. Played in Ahl. Season ended and so was his 3 yr ELC.

Je réalise aujourd’hui que pendant cette année-là, à force de me questionner, j’ai complètement perdu mes repères. Je revois parfois des matchs de cette époque et le gars que je vois sur la patinoire, ce n’est pas moi.

Quel est mon rôle? Quelles sont mes habiletés? Je m’en vais où? Ça tournait vite dans ma tête, mais j’essayais de garder le cap. Je n’ai pas su trouver la solution.

Moves to Ana following season and is sent to Ahl being told he would be first call up. He never was called up. Following year went to NYI camp but injured. He ends up going overseas.

Comes back that summer and at 25 decided to retire from NHL. He now is an Asst coach at Harvard and finishing up his degree. Hopes to be a NHL GM one day.

Isnt really sure how it all ended that way. He had always been the best player on his team and ended up losing his confidence and things just went down fast.

Thats a Reeeeallly quick recap. And know that French is my 2nd language so there were some words I wasnt sure of. Best to read it straight from his mouth. Lots of insight. Says he isnt upset with Habs, if he had to do it again he would still hope to be drafted by Mtl. Even goes for a beer with MB when he is in Boston.

-------

Have a read. I would love to hear what u found interesting from his story.
I liked to hear the players viewpoint. My impressions were different, but I held out great hope for Leblanc. 

Going back in the stats though only reminded me of the impressions. He just wasn't all that. The media had talked him up so much in his draft year and here he was, the local center phenom going to the USHL and then committed to college. Yet he didn't tear up the USHL or his team in Omaha. By draft time people were talking he could fall to 2nd rounder, but he was grabbed at 18 by the Habs in a draft held in the city! 

He did nothing spectacular at Harvard. He did nothing spectacular with the Montreal Juniors either and that's when people started with the RW maybe, but not a center stuff. (No one is a center for Montreal). Still you know I remember him having moments in his half season with the Habs, but he wasn't defensively ready. 

While it is fun to think how good he could have been as he lumps himself with Evander Kane, Hall, and Duchene at draft time he was according to the CSS list anyway the 13th NA skater, and that doesn't include the strong Euro contingent that year or the goalies. At best Louis got drafted right where he belonged, and most folks would say a round early.

I think SL and the gang didn't do LL any favors but most of the gangs he played with in Omaha, Harvard, the Junior, and Hamilton didn't make the NHL. If you discount the AHL years it is clear LL wasn't surrounded by future NHLers as he developed.

The toughest thing about the NHL draft is 1-14 yeah, pretty good chance they'll play some NHL. But around 14 the odds drop below 50% and they drop fast.

LL I think had his chance and Harvard was it. The team wasn't great and he did ok. I am sure Montreal thought he would do better in the Q, get more opportunity, but everything indicates a player that plateaued long before the Habs began un-developing him. Remember he followed the Latendresse era and Latendresse had been NHL ready from the moment he was drafted, only the team didn't think so despite daily press that he was wasted in junior. Then, when the Habs did play him, Latendresse maybe wasn't a big star but he could play NHL. LL inherited that hope and dream.

He didn't make it. If the Habs hadn't traded away their first the year before and their second rounder that year, maybe they could have taken a Kreider and said they intended to grab LL in the low second round. But they had little option in the Bell and only that 18th pick. Would he have been able to get his degree, maybe mature physically, enter the NHL at the age he retired at? Who knows. 

Would have been fun to see and really, a Harvard degree is not really a consolation prize.
Thanks given by:
Not surprised about SLY.

There's a reason that the farm club was so terrible over the course of those years.

SL was just a terrible coach. The proof is in the punch.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 03:11 PM)Habysmal Wrote: Not surprised about SLY.

There's a reason that the farm club was so terrible over the course of those years.

SL was just a terrible coach. The proof is in the punch.

That maybe be so but SL had nothing to do with this. Leblanc was simply not a very good player. Certainly not an NHLer by any means.
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 03:21 PM)bchippie Wrote:

SL was just a terrible coach.  The proof is in the punch.

That maybe be so but SL had nothing to do with this. Leblanc was simply not a very good player. Certainly not an NHLer by any means.

That very well may be the case.  Not disagreeing on that.  But a coach shouldn't just give a player the cold shoulder and make him feel unwelcome in any way.  The coach's job is to teach and help instill confidence in young players when needed.  Not to just make them feel unwanted right off the bat.

Again, sure, Leblanc was never going to be a Crosby.... but that doesn't change the fact that SL was a terrible coach as was evidenced by all our prospects lack of development.  It's not surprise that the one's that fared the best were the one's that skipped SL's tutelage.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 03:31 PM)Habysmal Wrote:

That very well may be the case.  Not disagreeing on that.  But a coach shouldn't just give a player the cold shoulder and make him feel unwelcome in any way.  The coach's job is to teach and help instill confidence in young players when needed.  Not to just make them feel unwanted right off the bat.

Again, sure, Leblanc was never going to be a Crosby.... but that doesn't change the fact that SL was a terrible coach as was evidenced by all our prospects lack of development.  It's not surprise that the one's that fared the best were the one's that skipped SL's tutelage.

I don't disagree that he was a terrible coach but busts are busts. AHL coaches don't turn busts in NHLrs. They either have it or they don't. A good AHL coach will help the player polish their skills/strengths but nothing else can be done for the Tinordi's, Scherbaks and Leblanc's of the world. They are busts.
Subban, voted most overrated player in the entire league by his peers. 
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 03:39 PM)bchippie Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 03:31 PM)Habysmal Wrote:

I don't disagree that he was a terrible coach but busts are busts. AHL coaches don't turn busts in NHLrs. They either have it or they don't. A good AHL coach will help the player polish their skills/strengths but nothing else can be done for the Tinordi's, Scherbaks and Leblanc's of the world. They are busts.

Gonna have to disagree with you a little here. Situation is yoooge for anything but the most talented of young players. Same in any pro sport.

If Tom Brady is a sixth-round pick of the Cleveland Browns in 2000, with their shyt coaching and shyt everything else, does he turn into Tom Brady? Maybe, but it would have taken a major miracle.

Not every player is good enough to kick down the door, regardless of circumstance.

The road to hockey glory is littered with kids who didn't make it for whatever reason - booze, broads, blocked by better players, etc. And one of those reasons is coaching. A bad coach can easily stunt your growth. A good coach just the opposite. A bad relationship with a coach can bury a kid forever. Spend two years not getting PP time because he doesn't like the cut of your jib, or has his own little pet who plays the same position as you. A bad report goes up to the big club. Other teams won't take a chance because of the old boys club pipeline. By the time you make it to another club four years later, your confidence is shot. The list goes on. Anyone who's spent any time around the game has a laundry list of these stories.

While I'm willing to agree that in pretty much every case, the player should still shoulder the majority of the blame for their fate, sometimes it truly is out of their hands.

It's hard to put into words, even for a periphrastic gasbag like myself, just how bad Shytgibbon Jr. was for our prospects.
Thanks given by:
Could LL have been more than it turned out to be? Sure. And that lottery number was just off. 

The point on Lefebvre though is Lefebvre, and he can't escape that. The NHL is not supposed to be a development league. That is the job of the AHL. 

To the best of my fertile imagination Montreal's current roster contains (imagine a drumroll): Hudon. Three years under Lefebvre. Lefebvre whose six seasons with the Habs as AHL head coach produced one playoff appearance, which they promptly lost. He managed to have a -268 in the wins/loss column. Hard to imagine a front office in excess of 44 skilled hockey folks found players in junior or Europe who could step right in, but if they go to the AHL for more than a few games they all struggle.

When you look to the affiliate Bulldogs (Montreal 2002-2015, St John's, and Laval) they were ok until Jodoin had them and left for the Habs (in playoffs 9 times, one championship, missed twice. Then came Jodoin, and Lefebvre, and they made it once in the next 7 seasons? Heck, even Randy Cunnyworth took his version to the 3rd round. Lefebvre couldn't win a game.

Players have come and gone, but if you didn't develop elsewhere the coaches Jodoin or Lefebvre would provide that little incentive that was the difference. Yet they retained their positions, Jodoin only leaving the Habs last season.

Cliques. Death of a team and death of a business.
Thanks given by:
Is there some link to the talent in the Habs' AHL affiliate and all the squandered 2nd round picks over a period of time?
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 06:35 PM)Scriptor Wrote: Is there some link to the talent in the Habs' AHL affiliate and all the squandered 2nd round picks over a period of time?

Sorry dont understand Q? R I asking lack of drafting 2nd round picks, causw we traded them away, is a reason ahl tean has not done well?
Thanks given by:
Developmemt staff is there to help develop players. Ahl is a development league. LL played in NHL after just a few games in Ahl, and did real well. He showed he could play there.

When sent back to Ahl under SL, he felt the cold shoulder and was played on 3rd line and then got injuried. This all 100% negatively affected him. He said when looking at tapes of his 2nd Ahl season that he didn't recognize himself, he had lost all confidence. He lost his game. Sorry but thats on the coaches.

Imagine if when Mete sent down earlier this season and Bouchard gave him cold shoulder and played his on 3rd pair or healthy stretch for rest of season after playing in NHL last year. Would that have been positive and helped him to improve? It would have messed him up.

Too bad LL.wasnt stronger mentally to overcome. I dont think he would have been a star. But I think he showed he could play. Maybe a 20g -2nd or 3rd liner.

Its just so sad how it went down so fast. Those 2 yrs in Ahl a waste. He would have been better off 3 yrs in NCAA
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 09:46 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Developmemt staff is there to help develop players. Ahl is a development league. LL played in NHL after just a few games in Ahl, and did real well. He showed he could play there.

When sent back to Ahl under SL, he felt the cold shoulder and was played on 3rd line and then got injuried. This all 100% negatively affected him. He said when looking at tapes of his 2nd Ahl season that he didn't recognize himself, he had lost all confidence. He lost his game. Sorry but thats on the coaches.

Imagine if when Mete sent down earlier this season and Bouchard gave him cold shoulder and played his on 3rd pair or healthy stretch for rest of season after playing in NHL last year. Would that have been positive and helped him to improve? It would have messed him up.

Too bad LL.wasnt stronger mentally to overcome. I dont think he would have been a star. But I think he showed he could play. Maybe a 20g -2nd or 3rd liner.

Its just so sad how it went down so fast. Those 2 yrs in Ahl a waste. He would have been better off 3 yrs in NCAA

Expectations also play a role. I thought Leblanc was a serviceable pud as a 20-year-old in the NHL. 

But 'serviceable pud' isn't what you're hoping for from your first-round picks. And, as a 100-point guy in junior and a BMOC, he probably had bigger expectations for himself. 

So, when he found himself as a turd-liner with no PP time in the AHL and had other options with Harvard smarts, you can see why it might not be so much fun for him and he wanted out. 

In the end, there's always blame to be shared around. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 09:34 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 06:35 PM)Scriptor Wrote: Is there some link to the talent in the Habs' AHL affiliate and all the squandered 2nd round picks over a period of time?

Sorry dont understand Q? R I asking lack of drafting 2nd round picks, causw we traded them away, is a reason ahl tean has not done well?

Yeah. Then, would not having a good AHL team (a losing environment) not negatively affect player development?
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-14, 10:10 AM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2019-02-13, 09:34 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:

Yeah. Then, would not having a good AHL team (a losing environment) not negatively affect player development?

Any negative, like losing team, is never a good thing BUT I dont think it Should affect development. Cause development is an individual thing. Learning to skate better, think better, be better on D side, build muscle, better shots etc. U can still all learn that even when on a bad team.

U don't learn that stuff well if u dont have good coaches

Not drafting in 2nd round for 3 yrs does effect our prospect pool and ultimately our Ahl team's level of talent. Our team has like 4 ECHL guys on it as we keep losing guys on waiver. One 1 rnd pick- an injured McC. No 2nd round picks. None of our top 10 prospecta r in Ahl. So yes this makes for a bad team roster. To which Bouchard is struggling to get to playoffs again. But hopefully he is a good coach and able to teach them, to help them become better players.
Thanks given by:
I hope to be an NHL GM someday too. I got my degree years ago.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-14, 10:55 PM)Faceman Wrote: I hope to be an NHL GM someday too. I got my degree years ago.

Can u hire me when u get a job?
Thanks given by: