Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMA thread
Andrew is right...wait what

It's TRUE the UFC does an absolute brutal job of marketing new stars. For that reason they have to put up with Mcgregors antics. Let's be real. People watched that fight because of Conor not Khabib. 

Look at guys like Ortega and Holloway...two legit stars in MMA and I bet that show does a quarter of mcgregor/ khabib. Ortega especially is poorly marketed. Guy might be the best in MMA and I'd bet most casual fans have no clue who he is. 

Its embarrassing.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-11, 10:02 PM)Sportking Wrote: Andrew is right...wait what

It's TRUE the UFC does an absolute brutal job of marketing new stars. For that reason they have to put up with Mcgregors antics. Let's be real. People watched that fight because of Conor not Khabib. 

Look at guys like Ortega and Holloway...two legit stars in MMA and I bet that show does a quarter of mcgregor/ khabib. Ortega especially is poorly marketed. Guy might be the best in MMA and I'd bet most casual fans have no clue who he is. 

Its embarrassing.
I don't think the UFC "has to put up with" McGregor. It's a business and Connor sells. Yeah, they can definitely do a lot better with promotion of other fighters but Connor has been the best thing to ever happen to that company.

Just like no matter what Dana White says to the media, the brawl at the weekend was good for business. It was all over the news and that means exposure for a sport that is currently going from strength to strength.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 03:19 AM)Sirens Wrote:

Its embarrassing.
I don't think the UFC "has to put up with" McGregor. It's a business and Connor sells. Yeah, they can definitely do a lot better with promotion of other fighters but Connor has been the best thing to ever happen to that company.

Just like no matter what Dana White says to the media, the brawl at the weekend was good for business. It was all over the news and that means exposure for a sport that is currently going from strength to strength.

Its negative exposure though, which isn't a good thing.

It actually embarrassed the sport and puts it in the same vein as the old UFC. The no rules shitshow it used to be that only people thirsting for blood watched. 

The focus should be on great fights, personalities and raw talent. That is what the UFC does a poor job at. Its also the reason they cant sell any fight other than Mcgregor. Mcgregor is a sideshow now and people tune in to see the train wreck.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 07:20 PM)Sportking Wrote:
(2018-10-12, 03:19 AM)Sirens Wrote:

Its embarrassing.

Its negative exposure though, which isn't a good thing.

It actually embarrassed the sport and puts it in the same vein as the old UFC. The no rules shitshow it used to be that only people thirsting for blood watched. 

The focus should be on great fights, personalities and raw talent. That is what the UFC does a poor job at. Its also the reason they cant sell any fight other than Mcgregor. Mcgregor is a sideshow now and people tune in to see the train wreck.
I don't think negative exposure is a bad thing in this situation. I'd be willing to bet PPV numbers on average go up as a result of the melee.

And I also don't think it's quite as bad as people are making it out to be. No one was hurt. Personally I think Connor throwing that dolly into the bus was worse.

Thanks given by:
(2018-10-09, 04:37 PM)bfitz77 Wrote: Khabib will request a Conor rematch as soon as his coming suspension will allow. Because Conor is the show. Simple as that.

Khabib is 11-0 in the UFC. His first 10 fights he averaged around 100k per fight, and on Saturday he made over 2 mil. Have you ever tried to pay for an entourage?? Costs money. The UFC is full contact WWE now and I don't see it changing. The only fights that are worth while for these fighters are fights v Conor. I see it as he will be lucky if Conor agrees to it. Conor can just take the softer Aldo fight if he wants. Conor's money won't change too much regardless of who he fights. Khabib's will cut in half at minimum.

Costs money? Ever hear of Magomedov? Money isn't a problem for these guys. And as long as he's showing up to Kadyrov's "camps", money isn't an issue, it's why he can tell the UFC to "keep their $2mil"
Thanks given by:
Eddie Alvarez signs with ONE Championship.

Thanks given by: