Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MTL non compliant with NHL Concussion Protocol
Hey I am surprised that no one is talking about this

There was an investigative report in The Athletic that talks about how NJ, MTL, Cal in the past have been caught not complying with NHL rules. The report also states that altho MTL and Cal were fined by the NHL....NJ, then run by Lou, were caught the most and never fined (yup some are "in" the NHL and always get away with braking rules)

Anyways, I do not have a membership to the Athletic site, so just wondering if anyone read the article.

Not sure when this all came down. Wondering if it mentions which players MTL failed to do what was best for them
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 10:08 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Hey I am surprised that no one is talking about this

There was an investigative report in The Athletic that talks about how NJ, MTL, Cal in the past have been caught not complying with NHL rules.  The report also states that altho MTL and Cal were fined by the NHL....NJ, then run by Lou, were caught the most and never fined (yup some are "in" the NHL and always get away with braking rules)

Anyways, I do not have a membership to the Athletic site, so just wondering if anyone read the article.

Not sure when this all came down.  Wondering if it mentions which players MTL failed to do what was best for them

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/...ck-boynton
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 10:11 AM)krob1000 Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 10:08 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Hey I am surprised that no one is talking about this

There was an investigative report in The Athletic that talks about how NJ, MTL, Cal in the past have been caught not complying with NHL rules.  The report also states that altho MTL and Cal were fined by the NHL....NJ, then run by Lou, were caught the most and never fined (yup some are "in" the NHL and always get away with braking rules)

Not sure when this all came down.  Wondering if it mentions which players MTL failed to do what was best for them

yes I have read many stories of retired players talking about how brutal concussions are and how they were not really helped in the NHL.

I am tho wondering what the Athletic article states. does it name names or season MTL failed protocol
Thanks given by:
Andrew Shaw would try to return to the ice if he got steamrolled by the Zamboni.

They absolutely need better protection from their own warrior instincts.
Thanks given by: FormalWare , FormalWare
(2018-06-13, 10:42 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote:

yes I have read many stories of retired players talking about how brutal concussions are and how they were not really helped in the NHL.  

I am tho wondering what the Athletic article states.  does it name names or season MTL failed protocol

Just read the article. It doesn't name names or circumstances. The article talks a lot about Devils and Lou and what was said in the depositions. I think the NHL didn't respond to the Athletics request for an interview and Montreal said that all requests on league discipline relating to the lawsuit should be directed to the NHL.
Thanks given by:
In related news opinion, the NHL's concussion spotters (if they really exist) are incompetent.
---
Give Marc Bergevin some credit.
(He'll pay you back with -10% interest.)
Thanks given by:

I am tho wondering what the Athletic article states.  does it name names or season MTL failed protocol

From the Athletic: "both Calgary and Montreal were fined, though it is not clear in the unredacted depositions why each team was fined."

I've always admired Dr. Mulder, he has been seen as one of the finest team surgeons, but...

He grew up in the age of 'shake it off'. Watching Maurice Richard win a Stanley Cup after being knocked out cold. This is still one of the classic moments in our franchise history, and the handshake that the Rocket has with Jim Henry one of the iconic images:

https://postmediamontrealgazette2.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/sports-long-bitter-rivalry-9809295.jpg

We've seen Moen, Shaw (and a D? slips my mind) clearly concussed in the playoffs and return to duty that day or series, doesn't surprise me that we messed up.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 11:25 AM)RightNyder Wrote: Andrew Shaw would try to return to the ice if he got steamrolled by the Zamboni.

They absolutely need better protection from their own warrior instincts.
In the latest video involving Stephane Lebeau (re: the '93 Cup), he pretty much fessed up that he played with concussion symptoms and that he jumped at the chance to play, regardless, when the coach told him he would be in the lineup.

I know that protocols only came after, for the NHL, but sports culture (football, hockey, rugby, whatever) is all about appearing invincible, to your team-mates and to your opponents. I think that this is instilled very young for athletes; determination, perseverance...

I agree that players can be their worst enemy when it comes to injury, especially head injuries that are not as easy to understand or clearly quantify.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 12:42 PM)on2ndthought Wrote:

From the Athletic: "both Calgary and Montreal were fined, though it is not clear in the unredacted depositions why each team was fined."

I've always admired Dr. Mulder, he has been seen as one of the finest team surgeons, but...

He grew up in the age of 'shake it off'. Watching Maurice Richard win a Stanley Cup after being knocked out cold. This is still one of the classic moments in our franchise history, and the handshake that the Rocket has with Jim Henry one of the iconic images:

https://postmediamontrealgazette2.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/sports-long-bitter-rivalry-9809295.jpg

We've seen Moen, Shaw (and a D? slips my mind) clearly concussed in the playoffs and return to duty that day or series, doesn't surprise me that we messed up.

Beaulieu I think. He fought and got knocked out and went to the penalty box instead of the quiet room and Therrien I think said to reporters after the game something like "what's the difference between the penalty box and the quiet room?"

On this issue, I will begin to care when the NHLPA begins to really care. I still don't think they do.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 12:49 PM)Captain aHab Wrote:

Beaulieu I think. He fought and got knocked out and went to the penalty box instead of the quiet room and Therrien I think said to reporters after the game something like "what's the difference between the penalty box and the quiet room?"

On this issue, I will begin to care when the NHLPA begins to really care. I still don't think they do.

Yes, it was N8. And you are right, until Shawsie, and Moensie, and Beausie care enough to demand the trainer put them through a battery of tests before they return to the ice; management will talk the talk, and pay the fines.
Thanks given by:
https://theathletic.com/388088/2018/06/1...protocols/

Concussion depositions reveal Devils, Flames, Canadiens failed to follow protocols

With​ new documents surfacing​ in the​ wake​ of​ the​ ongoing litigation between​ former players​ and the National​ Hockey​​ League, more details are coming to light about the way the league and its member clubs handled concussions.

And judging by several depositions taken in the concussion suit vs. the NHL, which have become publicly available through court record, multiple teams were disciplined for the ways in which they failed to adhere to and enforce certain protocols concerning head injuries.

Testimony from league officials and NHL team executives revealed that the New Jersey Devils, Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens were all found to be noncompliant in following certain NHL-mandated rules. And though these depositions reference penalties to both the Flames and the Canadiens, testimony indicates the Devils were neither fined nor disciplined for their infractions.

Of the three teams, the Devils were most frequently mentioned in relation to noncompliance. Both deputy commissioner Bill Daly and NHL counsel Julie Grand acknowledged in their respective depositions the Devils’ failure to follow certain standards — and in at least one case joked about it.

Former team president and general manager Lou Lamoriello admitted in his deposition that the team did not even perform baseline neuropsychological testing in 2007, even though it had been required by the league for a decade by that point.

This testing is performed before the onset of every season to provide teams with a “baseline” of where each individual measures, thereby allowing them to compare how a player scores when concussed, suspected of being concussed or suffering head trauma.

In an extensive review of documents performed by The Athletic, Lamoriello acknowledges that the Devils did not perform preseason baseline neuropsychological testing in 2007, though the rationale was not immediately clear, at least not in the unredacted portions of his deposition.

“I was never brought aware that we did not do it, other than the period of time that I did mention, and there was a reason, not an excuse, that that did not happen,” Lamoriello states in his deposition, taken on Jan. 22, 2016.

Lamoriello, who is now the general manager of the New York Islanders, returned a message left by The Athletic but said he did not wish to comment on the deposition. The NHL also declined to comment when asked why the Devils did not perform preseason baseline testing in 2007, along with other questions related to the concussion litigation depositions.

In an NHL memorandum used as an exhibit in the deposition, the league states that under the Baseline Neuropsychological Evaluation rules, “all players under contract with the Club in the NHL shall undergo baseline (neuropsych) testing prior to engaging in full contact play.” When asked about this rule, Lamoriello seemingly takes issue with the word “shall” (“I never saw the word in the dictionary, ‘shall,’ to be mandatory but …”) and responded with a “I have no comment” when asked what the words means, before ultimately answering that it means “will, should.”

Lamoriello, when questioned in the deposition about the team’s failure to perform preseason baseline testing in training camp, said the team did perform testing later that year.

“So just to be clear, the one year that the Devils did not perform baseline testing at the — before the start of the season, when did the Devils actually perform the baseline testing on those players?” Stuart Davidson, a lawyer for the plaintiffs in the concussion suit vs. the NHL, asks Lamoriello.

LAMORIELLO: “Postseason.”

DAVIDSON: “Postseason. Does that mean during the playoffs or at the end of the entire season inclusive of the Stanley Cup?”

LAMORIELLO: “It would be at the end of the season.”

Lamoriello added later that he did believe players who were “concussed or suspected of being concussed” during the 2007-08 season received the mandatory follow-up neuropsych testing as required by the NHL “to the best of my knowledge.”
Grand’s deposition, in which she is questioned by plaintiffs’ lawyer Steve Grygiel, also confirms the league was aware the Devils may have failed to conduct baseline testing on more than one occasion.

GRAND: “Yes.

— one year hearing that they had not tested their players, and we followed up with them at various points throughout that season. And in April of that season, they did the neuropsych testing on their players.”

GRYGIEL: “Do you remember speaking with (hockey operations VP) Steve Pellegrini of the Devils about that issue?” [editor’s note: Pellegrini was named as the Islanders’ new assistant general manager on Tuesday].

GRAND: “That sounds familiar.”

GRYGIEL: “And do you remember telling him that Mr. Lamoriello needed to get on board with this, because the neuropsych testing was not optional?”

GRAND: “In sum or substance, that sounds familiar.”

GRYGIEL: “And do you remember Pellegrini telling you that he would look into it?”

GRAND: “I probably would have followed up at that point on my call, sure.”

Additionally, Grand’s testimony, taken on Aug. 3, 2016, raises the question of whether the Devils had transgressed on this issue more than once. Following the aforementioned exchange, Grand is then asked whether she recalls an additional instance of this happening after the 2007-08 season, to which she responds:

“It, it has a vague familiarity, but I don’t remember the time period.”

The following section is redacted.

Daly also admitted to joking about the Devils’ noncompliance in an email exchange with Grand that was raised in Daly’s deposition, taken on Aug. 9, 2016. Daly acknowledged that he and Grand had “numerous discussions over time about Devils compliance issues” and revealed that the two were concerned that Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador’s concussion diagnosis was possibly a way to circumvent the salary cap. (Salvador did indeed suffer a concussion.)

GRYGIEL: “And do you remember (Grand) telling you how convenient from a team that apparently has never had a concussion before?”

DALY: “I think we were both kind of making fun of the Devils in the context of an email exchange. It was probably inappropriate.”

Daly went on to say, however, that the Devils were never fined for noncompliance with the neuropsych testing program, nor was the team ever fined for noncompliance with the concussion protocol. Daly later said that the Devils “have responded every time we have had interactions with them about compliance with the concussion protocol.”

They may not have been fined, at least according to Daly’s deposition, but there were already rumblings about how the team managed head injuries.

In a 2015 story, former Devils forward Mike Peluso told longtime beat writer Rich Chere that he blamed the team for “throwing” him back onto the ice after he suffered a concussion and seizure during the 1993-94 season and that he felt “used and beaten.”

“I’ve come to the realization that I’m going to die young,” Peluso said.

Peluso, who played for the Devils from 1993-97 and was a member of the vaunted “Crash Line” with Randy McKay and Bobby
Holik, is among approximately 150 plaintiffs in the ongoing concussion lawsuit against the NHL.

He filed a $5 million lawsuit against the Devils and St. Louis Blues, as well as Chubb insurance, in April 2017 for contributing to his early onset dementia and total and permanent disability.

The suit alleges that the defendants “deliberately, fraudulently, and with callous disregard for Mr. Peluso’s health and safety, concealed medical records from him that stated very clearly that his health was in danger and that he must never sustain any further traumas to his head if he were to avoid debilitating, long-lasting brain damage.”

The suit reveals a letter from board-certified neurologist Marvin Ruderman that warns of future head injuries following Peluso’s seizure, which occurred in February 1994.

“I do not believe that the participation in playing hockey in itself poses an excessive risk for the development of further seizures,” Ruderman’s findings, copied to Lamoriello, team doctor Barry Fisher, team orthopedic surgeon Leonard Jaffe, state, with one major caveat — “unless he were to sustain head injuries.”

In December 2016, a workers’ compensation appeals board ruled that the Devils “wrongfully withheld” medical records from Peluso, according to an article from TSN.

Some former Devils players, however, paint a very different picture of Lamoriello and his attitude on head injuries and player safety.

Salvador, the former Devils defenseman and captain who retired at age 39 in 2015, wrote an essay in The Players’ Tribune about his struggles to return to play after being struck in the face by a slapshot in 2010 and ensuing, persisting vestibular issues.

In the essay, Salvador detailed his attempt to come back from the injury, describing how he dealt with high-pitched ringing in his ears that lasted for months, intense nausea and severe mood swings. During this time, Salvador said Lamoriello was nothing but encouraging when he sought out treatment from myriad specialists to address his injuries and pervasive symptoms.

“I went and sat down with Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello and I admitted to him that I was not getting better. That was a tough moment. Here I am making good money, and I’m telling my GM that the doctors can’t figure out what’s wrong with me. But Lou was phenomenal about it. He said, ‘Bryce, just keep seeing specialists. Wherever you want to go, whatever you want to do, take as much time as you need.’

“Lou, thank you,” Salvador wrote.

Salvador said that, heading into the 2011-12 season, and following a year in which he was entirely sidelined from play, most GMs would have “found a nice and professional way to politely move on without me. But Lou gave me a real chance.”
Salvador went on to play all 82 regular-season games that year and helped lead the Devils to the Stanley Cup final, appearing in 24 postseason games.

And while Salvador’s essay paints a more nuanced picture of Lamoriello’s approach as general manager, the depositions hardly portray Lamoriello and the Devils as the lone offenders in issues of compliance, either.

In Grand’s deposition, she was asked: “Has any GM ever been disciplined by the league for failure to comply with concussion protocol?” to which she responds that both Calgary and Montreal were fined, though it is not clear in the unredacted depositions why each team was fined.

An NHL spokesperson declined to comment when asked via email why both teams were fined and when. Calgary also declined to answer questions. (“We will not be making any comment relative to this subject matter based on ongoing litigation,” a team spokesperson said via email.) Montreal referred all questions to the NHL. (“The Club does not comment on league disciplinary decisions while litigation is ongoing. All requests will be referred to the NHL,” a team spokesperson said via email.)
Thanks given by: GloryYrs70s
thank u for the article
Thanks given by:
Well, if this is the story, there is not much to it:

https://twitter.com/rwesthead/status/100...1651799040
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-14, 05:13 AM)on2ndthought Wrote: Well, if this is the story, there is not much to it:

Dr Mulder: "How do you feel Kris?"

Letang: "I feel pretty good mom."

Mulder: "OK...off you go then."
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-14, 05:36 AM)Captain aHab Wrote:
(2018-06-14, 05:13 AM)on2ndthought Wrote: Well, if this is the story, there is not much to it:

Dr Mulder: "How do you feel Kris?"

Letang: "I feel pretty good mom."

Mulder: "OK...off you go then."
Grin
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 01:14 PM)on2ndthought Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 12:49 PM)Captain aHab Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 10:11 AM)krob1000 Wrote: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/...ck-boynton

Yes, it was N8. And you are right, until Shawsie, and Moensie, and Beausie care enough to demand the trainer put them through a battery of tests before they return to the ice; management will talk the talk, and pay the fines.

With the amount of coverage concussions and their related damage have gotten in recent years, I simply cannot believe that any athlete who started playing in pro leagues a couple of years ago could expect to win a concussion lawsuit. You still see young guys who clearly think the protocol is superfluous. TV cameras caught Russell Wilson, QB of the Seahawks, go into the sideline concussion tent, merely touch his ass on the bench and get back up with a pissed off look on his face. Lots of guys (and gals I would imagine) simply refuse to "get it".
Thanks given by:

Honestly...are you really surprised by this? I haven't been impressed by Mtl's medical staff since they blew the Markov surgery. Blatantly obvious they have sent Shaw and Gally back to play in games when they shouldn't have.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-14, 10:17 AM)DDO_Habs_Fan Wrote:

Honestly...are you really surprised by this? I haven't been impressed by Mtl's medical staff since they blew the Markov surgery. Blatantly obvious they have sent Shaw and Gally back to play in games when they shouldn't have.

Team docs are always in an untenable position. The pressure to keep the players in the lineup is immense. And the players are conditioned to downplay everything just to remain in the lineup.

With the mushmelons, the problem is compounded by the league's certain desire to avoid massive lawsuit payouts. The 'spotters' need to do a much better job.
Thanks given by:
That's because it a joke

why after a fight with multiple punches to the head do players not have to visit the quiet room?
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-14, 10:22 AM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-06-14, 10:17 AM)DDO_Habs_Fan Wrote:

Team docs are always in an untenable position. The pressure to keep the players in the lineup is immense. And the players are conditioned to downplay everything just to remain in the lineup.

With the mushmelons, the problem is compounded by the league's certain desire to avoid massive lawsuit payouts. The 'spotters' need to do a much better job.

All I know is if I was a doctor who took the Hippocratic Oath, there is no way I would let the player go back. If the player and the team didn't like it, I would resign and let the media know why if asked. Sorry when it comes to people's health, there is no grey area IMO. BTW it is not as if these doctors can't find work or are doing it to make a living. A lot of these guys do it in addition to their regular practices for the "prestige" (especially in the NFL). There is no excuse IMO for the doctor not to do the right thing.
Thanks given by: