Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matthews' Icetime
Quote:Auston Matthews needs more ice time

...there’s room to perhaps load up more there and go star-heavy on PP1, getting guys like Matthews and Marner up over 3-minutes, and keeping Tavares there (he averaged 3:10 last year). The quick rebuttal to this would be “Why mess with a good thing? Toronto’s powerplay converted a ton last year” and that’s true. But the best powerplay in the league was Pittsburgh’s, which managed to get four guys out there (Malkin, Hornqvist, Kessel, and Crosby) for more than 3:30 a night.

https://mapleleafsnation.com/2018/07/12/...-ice-time/

There's also a comparison of star players in their 2nd and 3rd seasons in this.

I would think that both Matthews and Tavares should get around 20 minutes per night which leaves 20 minutes left over for the other lines.

I'd love to see Kadri put on a line with either of those 2 but probably JT more.

Marleau/Matthews/Nylander
Kadri/JT/Marner

I remember TO being unable to handle Boston's 1st line during the playoffs and Boston's plumbers being easily capable of handling TO when their 1st line wasn't on. This depth thing Babs loves so much is alright in a nonCap NHL but having the ability to ice such great lines for 2/3 of a game in the Cap world should make TO as unstoppable as Boston was in the 1st round.
Thanks given by:
I see no reason why Matthews Tavares and Kadri can't all run out there for 20 a night and we don't even dress a 4C.

I am joking, but at the same time, not really...especially come playoff time.
Thanks given by:
I like Kadri on JT's left wing. Babs will never do it though.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 07:46 PM)Bo Dangles Wrote: I see no reason why Matthews Tavares and Kadri can't all run out there for 20 a night and we don't even dress a 4C.

I am joking, but at the same time, not really...especially come playoff time.

Babs loves to roll 4 lines but with this current group Id just roll out Matthews' Kadri's and Tavares' lines 18 minutes a night.

Thanks given by:
Ive suggested the same thing. Just run 3 Centres. The guys can can take turn coming out with the 4th line wingers.
Thanks given by:
Weren't we the second best PP in the league last year? I agree Matthews probably should have gotten another ~1.5-2 minutes a night, at least in the playoffs. But I don't think that needed to be PP time.

His line was by far our best at even-strength. Also due to his good two-way instincts, I wonder if he should be getting PK duties, similar to guys like Bergeron, Toews, Kopitar, etc.

This upcoming season with Bozak/JVR gone, maybe Matthews gets top PP minutes. But last season that wasnt an issue IMO. Even this upcoming season, I'd rather make Tavares the top PP centre, and Matthews the top even-strength centre with secondary PP and PK time. Still more minutes overall.
Thanks given by:
We have Matthews, Tavares and Kadri at center. Marner, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Marleau, Hyman, Thats 3 full lines with wingers and centers. Why start moving players out of their natural position just for the sake of change. You move Kadri to a wing position and you have to replace him on the 3rd line with a winger or a call up.

The Leafs right now have possibly the best 1,2,3 punch at center and a number of wingers that can play top 9 or even in the top 6 if needed. Having 3 centers as strong as we have is something fans and management have been dreaming of for over a decade... and some want to weaken our depth down the middle to fill a position that is not required.
Thanks given by:
What other lines could TO use with the current players?

Ennis/Hymen/Brown-Hymen was a center before playing for TO

Johnnson/?Gauthier/Kapanen

These aren't great lines but they are lines that could reasonably handle the 18 minutes left over from the TOI of the first 2 lines. TO had the championship team in the "A" last year so some of that quality should be able to help TO thru graduation.

I don't agree that Kadri is a natural center but then I never thought Bozak was a natural #1 center, sometimes players are used in roles that aren't natural to them. Necessity is the mother....
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 05:10 PM)hobster Wrote: What other lines could TO use with the current players?

These aren't great lines but they are lines that could reasonably handle the 18 minutes left over from the TOI of the first 2 lines. TO had the championship team in the "A" last year so some of that quality should be able to help TO thru graduation.

I don't agree that Kadri is a natural center but then I never thought Bozak was a natural #1 center, sometimes players are used in roles that aren't natural to them. Necessity is the mother....

Just a personal opinion, Gauthier will be gone by the trade deadline if not before. That new 2-way contract is a good way to move him or lose him on waivers. Was never sold on the guy even when I saw him play in junior.
"Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government ‘IF’ it deserves it."

Thanks given by:
(2018-07-13, 05:10 PM)hobster Wrote: What other lines could TO use with the current players?

You don’t agree that Kadri is a natural center despite him being a center in junior, drafted as a center, a center in the ahl and a center for nearly 500 games in the NHL. He’s a 27 year old that has played at center his whole life. How is center not his natural position?

The smartest thing to do is to have 3 tough matchups that will be hard to defend against rather than 2 tough matchups and a couple of “not great lines”.
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf , tmleafer
I was concerned about Matthews ice time last year when he was losing time to Bozak, Plekanic and even at times Komorov.

NOT concerned about this year with Tavares and Kadri.

The other Centre will get the dregs, probably Lindholm.

Minor issue.
Thanks given by:
For us there isn't an issue about who plays where because we have zero influence on it. However I'd like to see a more dominant TO not the possessionally challenged team I saw a lot of nights last year.
Thanks given by:
The picture the maple leafs don't want you to see

https://i.redd.it/vx40n6rjqya11.jpg

All in good fun I should say before Viable jumps all over me. Happy
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-20, 01:58 AM)bchippie Wrote: The picture the maple leafs don't want you to see

https://i.redd.it/vx40n6rjqya11.jpg

All in good fun I should say before Viable jumps all over me. Happy

LOL, no worries there. Viable doesn't get it ......
"Stand up for yourself young fellow. Nobody else is going to do it for you" 
Thanks given by: