Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCarron
Traded? Waived? Makes the big club?
Thanks given by:
The question isn’t whether he has improved enough to make the club but rather whether the team is desperate enough to give him a roster spot.  Saw him play in Toronto in March and he was awful.
Thanks given by:
Should never have been drafted
C'est quoi le maudit plan?!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:14 PM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: The question isn’t whether he has improved enough to make the club but rather whether the team is desperate enough to give him a roster spot.  Saw him play in Toronto in March and he was awful.

I blame him.

When you've got beloved developmental wizards like Sly and MT working with you and you still struggle, there's no excuses.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:14 PM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: The question isn’t whether he has improved enough to make the club but rather whether the team is desperate enough to give him a roster spot.  Saw him play in Toronto in March and he was awful.

Bergevin has to salvage something, particularly his ego/credibility.

He probably won't risk waivers -- losing a first-round pick for nothing wouldn't enhance his reputation. Another Tinordi-level deal isn't likely to impress. Speaking of that John Scott trade bait, having McCarron ride the pine as a "member" of the roster might be the go-to move until the right deal comes along, even if we'd only understand it if he could tell us all.
Thanks given by:
Just a bad draft pick just like Toronto's Frédérik Gauthier. You don't pick potential 4th rounders in the 1st round. Nothing to do with MT and Sly. Montreal will either trade him and get whatever they can or lose him on waivers. If he doesn't get picked up he'll be sent down.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:20 PM)Habituated Wrote:

He probably won't risk waivers -- losing a first-round pick for nothing wouldn't enhance his reputation. Another Tinordi-level deal isn't likely to impress. Speaking of that John Scott trade bait, having McCarron ride the pine as a "member" of the roster might be the go-to move until the right deal comes along, even if we'd only understand it if he could tell us all.

The ego part is an interesting angle.

Cut bait, and you've wasted a first-rounder (meaning your first two first-rounders are already gone). Flog him for next-to-nothing, ditto. If somebody offered a turd-rounder, would you take it?

I'd agree though, keeping him around as the 13th forward might be the best bet.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:27 PM)RightNyder Wrote:

Cut bait, and you've wasted a first-rounder (meaning your first two first-rounders are already gone). Flog him for next-to-nothing, ditto. If somebody offered a turd-rounder, would you take it?

Stuck between waivers and having McCarron eat hotdogs while taking up space on the roster, Bergevin would likely prefer to move him. Whether he could sell a third-round pick as a win, however ...

Not that he's above spin/BS. Of course, his reputation in these parts may be such that a one-for-one swap for McDavid would still be seen as suspect. Wink
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:17 PM)Faceman Wrote: Should never have been drafted

Certainly not in the first round, agreed.

But if he was a turd-rounder who turned into a 10-15 goal banging winger, would we be thrilled?

If he was a turd-rounder, would they have not overthought things and tried to make him a centre?

One day, he'll score a handful of key goals on some team's long playoff run, and we'll pine for another one that got away...
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:37 PM)RightNyder Wrote:

But if he was a turd-rounder who turned into a 10-15 goal banging winger, would we be thrilled?

If he was a turd-rounder, would they have not overthought things and tried to make him a centre?

One day, he'll score a handful of key goals on some team's long playoff run, and we'll pine for another one that got away...

That's more likely if/when McCarron is dealt for a fourth-line pud who washes out of the ECHL as a fifth-line pud. Or said pud gets signed to a six-year, $32.5-million dollar contract as part of the Montreal core after putting up 6-11-17 (-23) in his first season.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:44 PM)Habituated Wrote:
(2018-07-12, 03:37 PM)RightNyder Wrote:

That's more likely if/when McCarron is dealt for a fourth-line pud who washes out of the ECHL as a fifth-line pud. Or said pud gets signed to a six-year, $32.5-million dollar contract as part of the Montreal core after putting up 6-11-17 (-23) in his first season.

Western MB in Vancouver loves puds as well. McCarron and Schlemko for Loui Eriksson's horrid contact and a second-rounder.
Thanks given by:
He simply doesn't seem fast enough for the NHL. Unless Habs make a couple of trades, he'll be 13th forward or they might try to sneak him through waivers. Based on what we've seen so far, I doubt teams would be lining up to pick him and be forced to keep him in the NHL.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:53 PM)Captain aHab Wrote: He simply doesn't seem fast enough for the NHL. Unless Habs make a couple of trades, he'll be 13th forward or they might try to sneak him through waivers. Based on what we've seen so far, I doubt teams would be lining up to pick him and be forced to keep him in the NHL.

He seems fast enough once he gets going. It's the gets-going part that is the problem. He's certainly big and strong enough to battle in the corners or camp out in front of the net.

So, IMO, he should be a winger.

We'll likely never see it, but he seems like the kind of guy who could be a handful in a seven-game series, banging into people every second night. Bryan Bickell-like.
Thanks given by:
I’d like to see if they have any chemistry at the nhl level ... Domi with him. I know it’s way different then jr but why not.
I don't want to be your friend!
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 04:07 PM)Rada Wrote: I’d like to see if they have any chemistry at the nhl level ... Domi with him. I know it’s way different then jr but why not.

At this point, indeed. Why not?

#couldbedecent

I hope the kid kicks in the door. We haven't had nearly enough prospects do that.
Thanks given by:
Sherbak with them and maybe Domi has a goal scorer. Doubt McC can do top six but worth a look in camp.
I don't want to be your friend!
Thanks given by:
I can't see how McCarron makes the lineup.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2018/...er-ouellet
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 03:37 PM)Habituated Wrote:
(2018-07-12, 03:27 PM)RightNyder Wrote:

Stuck between waivers and having McCarron eat hotdogs while taking up space on the roster, Bergevin would likely prefer to move him. Whether he could sell a third-round pick as a win, however ...

Not that he's above spin/BS. Of course, his reputation in these parts may be such that a one-for-one swap for McDavid would still be seen as suspect. Wink
At least for Big Mike, they will allegedly be better hot dogs this year. Happy
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-12, 04:11 PM)bchippie Wrote: I can't see how McCarron makes the lineup.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2018/...er-ouellet

Considering how bad most are saying that our roster is, it really doesn't say much for McCarron then... Sad
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
I agree he should not have been drafted, at least not in the first round.  But I think the reason for the pick was our playoff series against the Ottawa Senators, in which we were soundly beaten on the scoreboard and rag-dolled around the ice.  People were still demanding "moar bigger" -- who knew that the whole dynamic was about to change?  I've never thought McCarron would make it.  He's just too slow and he doesn't seem particularly skilled.
Thanks given by: