Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morales
Forget Vlad Jr., at this point, Vlad Sr. might be a better option than Morales lol.

Hell, Joey Bats is putting up better numbers than Morales.

The Blue Jays are paying this guy what? 11mill a year? yikes.

Thanks given by:
In the grand scheme $11 million is really not much. But Morales has been astoundingly bad this year.
Thanks given by:
Looks to me like the giant spike in ground ball rate is mostly fuelling his crappiness. With his lack of speed and the fact he gets shifted on a lot, that's a recipe for balls turning into outs. He's gotten a bit unlucky too, as his babip on flies and liners is below his career average, so I don't think Morales is this bad. But he's not great. Contract or not, he shouldn't be in the lineup every day. Especially when kids like Urena or Gurriel could use major league at bats.

I mean the Jays got better hitting out of the pitcher's spot in an NL park this week, that should tell us something lol.
Thanks given by:
I read an article on The Athletic last night (its was mainly about Vlad Junior) that references Morales having the 13th highest exit velocity in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-19, 08:47 AM)Pouzar Wrote: I read an article on The Athletic last night (its was mainly about Vlad Junior) that references Morales having the 13th highest exit velocity in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean like when he exits the clubhouse after a game?

Out of curiousty I took a look at what Encarnacion has been up to, and he's not having a good season either. 10 home runs, but otherwise terrible.

He usually heats up in June/July so we'll see if he's on the decline or just off to a slow start.
Thanks given by:
Morales indeed has one of the highest exit velocities in baseball this year. The problem is that it doesn't do much good if he's topping the ball into the ground all the time. He's had ground ball spikes before and has come out of them to be an effective hitter, so there's still hope. But he's older now and being pressed for playing time so he might not get that chance.

[Image: Z6DGIkG.png]
Thanks given by:
Since May 19th, Morales is hitting .312/.379/.532 in 174 plate appearances.

He's rebounded his overall numbers to decent, but still below what he's being paid to provide.

If he continues this the rest of the year though, his numbers won't be half bad.
Thanks given by:
The babip gods have finally smiled upon him. He's actually been a top 25 hitter in MLB in that timeframe.
Thanks given by:
Him and Encarnacion have similar WAR totals so far.
Thanks given by:
Looks like age has finally caught up with EE. Missing out on him and ending up with Morales looks less and less like the blunder many thought it would be.
Thanks given by:
EE's BA, and OPS are lowest it has been in a while, but he will still end up with 30+ HRs, and 100+ RBIs.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-02, 12:25 PM)Chris D Wrote: EE's BA, and OPS are lowest it has been in a while, but he will still end up with 30+ HRs, and 100+ RBIs.

He wouldn't be close to that amount of RBI's if he stayed in Toronto...No one would be on base lol
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-02, 11:37 AM)shadylane Wrote: Looks like age has finally caught up with EE. Missing out on him and ending up with Morales looks less and less like the blunder many thought it would be.

I wouldn't go that far. Edwin has still been worth 3 bWAR more than Kendrys has been since the start of last season.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-02, 12:25 PM)Chris D Wrote: EE's BA, and OPS are lowest it has been in a while, but he will still end up with 30+ HRs, and 100+ RBIs.

And probably not much more than a 1 WAR player despite the counting stats.

(2018-08-02, 08:18 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: I wouldn't go that far. Edwin has still been worth 3 bWAR more than Kendrys has been since the start of last season.

At almost twice the cost though. EE's the superior player, don't get me wrong. But if EE ends up a 1 WAR player next year, the Indians will have gotten only 1 decent year for $60M. In terms of what some fans thought at the time of the signings, the Jays won't have ended up losing out on much at all.

And hey, maybe the Jays release Morales in the upcoming offseason, thus avoiding a bunch of negative value from him next year. Would make my comparison look even more favourable! lol.

And of course just as I'm typing this Morales hits a 7th inning go ahead home run lol.
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-02, 11:31 PM)shadylane Wrote:
(2018-08-02, 12:25 PM)Chris D Wrote: EE's BA, and OPS are lowest it has been in a while, but he will still end up with 30+ HRs, and 100+ RBIs.

And probably not much more than a 1 WAR player despite the counting stats.

(2018-08-02, 08:18 PM)thebest41587 Wrote: I wouldn't go that far. Edwin has still been worth 3 bWAR more than Kendrys has been since the start of last season.

At almost twice the cost though. EE's the superior player, don't get me wrong. But if EE ends up a 1 WAR player next year, the Indians will have gotten only 1 decent year for $60M. In terms of what some fans thought at the time of the signings, the Jays won't have ended up losing out on much at all.

And hey, maybe the Jays release Morales in the upcoming offseason, thus avoiding a bunch of negative value from him next year. Would make my comparison look even more favourable! lol.

And of course just as I'm typing this Morales hits a 7th inning go ahead home run lol.

What do they figure 1 WAR is worth now? It used be around 8 million. So yeah, they're pretty much identical then if it's still around 8 million. 60 million versus 36 million, if the gap doesn't change over the next 200 games or so.
Thanks given by:
It's a bit higher than $8M now but yeah, the same principle remains.

In hindsight I'd actually be more disappointed about the Indians side of things. EE went 0-for-9 in the ALDS last year and the Indians would've won the division with or without him. If he's in a sharp decline due to age now, it's not looking like they're going to get much of a positive impact from a $60M investment. It goes beyond the $/WAR too, as EE's contract consumes a much larger percentage of the Indians' payroll compared to Morales and the Jays.

Of course maybe EE comes up big in the postseason and this discussion becomes a moot point.
Thanks given by:
I wonder how many people expected Morales to be the better player in year 2 of their respective deals?

Morales:
17 HR
.257 BA
.339 OBP

.452 SLG
.337 wOBA
112 wRC+
0.6 fWAR

Encarnacion:
25 HR
.229 BA
.317 OBP
.461 SLG
.332 wOBA
108 wRC+
0.4 fWAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p...=8610,2151
Thanks given by: CaperLeaf
(2018-08-22, 04:21 PM)shadylane Wrote: I wonder how many people expected Morales to be the better player in year 2 of their respective deals?

Morales:
17 HR
.257 BA
.339 OBP

.452 SLG
.337 wOBA
112 wRC+
0.6 fWAR

Encarnacion:
25 HR
.229 BA
.317 OBP
.461 SLG
.332 wOBA
108 wRC+
0.4 fWAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p...=8610,2151

Make it 18 HR after today!
"Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government ‘IF’ it deserves it."

Thanks given by:
5 HRs in last 4 games.

Helluva series...against the O's
Thanks given by:
(2018-08-22, 07:48 PM)CaperLeaf Wrote: Make it 18 HR after today!

Oops, forgot it was an afternoon game. And EE hit two himself last night. Each player's WAR rose by 0.2 after yesterday's games lol.
Thanks given by: