Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morocco 'bans the sale and production of the burka'
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38574457

Morocco has banned the sale, production and import of the burka, according to local reports.
Letters announcing the ban were sent out on Monday, giving businesses 48 hours to get rid of their stock, the reports stated.
There was no official announcement from the government, but unnamed officials told outlets the decision was made due to "security concerns".
It is unclear if Morocco is now intending to ban the garment outright.
A high-ranking interior ministry official confirmed the ban to the Le360 news site, adding that "bandits have repeatedly used this garment to perpetrate their crimes". The burka, which covers the entire face and body, is not widely worn in Morocco, with most women favouring the hijab, which does not shroud the face.
Women in Salafist circles, and in more conservative regions in the north, are more likely to wear the niqab, which leaves the area around the eyes uncovered.
The decision has split opinion in the North African kingdom, led by King Mohammed VI, who favours a moderate version of Islam.
[Image: _93350402_619daa1c-cc45-4c73-a5e9-c3bc91fa9259.jpg]Image copyrightREUTERSImage captionThe burka is not popular in Morocco. Pictured: Women in Afghanistan wearing burkas
Hammad Kabbaj, a preacher barred from standing in parliamentary elections in October over his alleged ties to "extremism", denounced the ban as "unacceptable", mocking the "Morocco of freedom and human rights" which "considers the wearing of the Western swimsuit on the beaches an untouchable right".
Meanwhile, the Northern Moroccan National Observatory for Human Development said it considered the measure an "arbitrary decision that is an indirect violation of women's freedom of expression and wearing what reflects their identities or their religious, political or social beliefs".
But Nouzha Skalli, a former family and social development minister, welcomed the ban as "an important step in the fight against religious extremism".
Thanks given by:
This kind of action is what will move the needle with regards to human rights in predominantly muslim countries.
Thanks given by:
This is pushing things too far.

Why not have the stones do what they're actually trying to do, which is to ban muslims from the country?
Thanks given by:
Morocco is a Muslim country so I can't see where you're coming from with that comment.
Good Judgement comes from Experience which comes from Bad Judgement - Harry Neale
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 03:48 PM)Nanuuk Wrote: Morocco is a Muslim country so I can't see where you're coming from with that comment.

Lumbergh got schooled!  (Seriously.  He did.  You get the weekend off.)
Thanks given by:
My wife went there in her 20's, left the hotel in shorts and it didn't take long before someone showed her a knife and told her to put clothes on
Thanks given by:
We had a very sketchy first day in morocco, but the rest went fine, and no one cared about my wife's shorts.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 04:57 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: We had a very sketchy first day in morocco, but the rest went fine, and no one cared about my wife's shorts.

This was the 80's, she said he didn't point it at her just pulled it out for her to see
Thanks given by:
In my opinion I think that it would be really helpful to get some sort of definitive answer that settles the issue of the religious significance of the Burka once and for all. As an example, I know that some have argued that the Burka is a part of Islam, while organizations like the Canadian Muslim Congress have said that the Burka or Hijab (It may be one or both, I cannot recall) have no religious basis.

In Catholicism, there is the Pope who would be the authority on religious issues. I am not sure if there is a similar figure for Islam.
Liberty And Justice For Most.
Thanks given by:
The Burka, and I stand to get schooled on this one!, is an Arabic invention that has made its way to other Muslim countries where Arab convention may not really hold sway. Morocco is predominantly Berber so I'm not really surprised they would choose this ban. As my good friend from Morocco (and Muslim) is fond of saying "the closer to the middle east you get, the crazier they get'.
Good Judgement comes from Experience which comes from Bad Judgement - Harry Neale
Thanks given by:
Only Muhammad's wives wore them, my understanding is that there is no requirement in the religion for women to wear them.

Got that from a book "No God, but God" by Reza Aslan, he's a religious scholar and a Muslim, so I'm taking his word for it
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 05:04 PM)Widowmaker Wrote: In my opinion I think that it would be really helpful to get some sort of definitive answer that settles the issue of the religious significance of the Burka once and for all. As an example, I know that some have argued that the Burka is a part of Islam, while organizations like the Canadian Muslim Congress have said that the Burka or Hijab (It may be one or both, I cannot recall) have no religious basis.

In Catholicism, there is the Pope who would be the authority on religious issues. I am not sure if there is a similar figure for Islam.

I'll settle this once and for all:

In Islam, only the face, hands and feet are allowed to be exposed. Covering of the hair is not mandatory. The burka, a cultural garment, was worn back in the olden days, probably due to the fact it was an easy piece of clothing to throw over and have the necessary parts covered. These days, there is no need for a burka. Long sleeved shirts and pants are perfectly legitimate articles of clothing that comply with Islam for the women who want to adhere to these requirements. If they'd like to wear these in conjunction with a Hijab  (head covering scarf), go for it.

The nikab  (face covering) is a cultural influence and has nothing to do with Islam.

Burkas and nikabs should be done with and hijabs should be worn by choice.

Thumbs up to Morocco.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by: Nanuuk
(2017-01-11, 05:08 PM)WTTM Wrote: Only Muhammad's wives wore them, my understanding is that there is no requirement in the religion for women to wear them.

Got that from a book "No God, but God" by Reza Aslan, he's a religious scholar and a Muslim, so I'm taking his word for it

I read that book. Its propaganda. Aslan is a charlatan, and apologist for Islamic fundamentalism. 
He uses half truths and assumptions based in his own perspective. A bit like Ryu who tries to promote his view of Islam as being the only true version, and only possible interpretation - hence allowing him to disassociate anyone as not really being a believer but motivated by some other reason.
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-11, 09:31 PM)miltonred Wrote:
(2017-01-11, 05:08 PM)WTTM Wrote: Only Muhammad's wives wore them, my understanding is that there is no requirement in the religion for women to wear them.

I read that book. Its propaganda. Aslan is a charlatan, and apologist for Islamic fundamentalism. 
He uses half truths and assumptions based in his own perspective. A bit like Ryu who tries to promote his view of Islam as being the only true version, and only possible interpretation - hence allowing him to disassociate anyone as not really being a believer but motivated by some other reason.

But is it true about Muhammad's wives, I was going by his word because I'm not going to read the Official book myself, and figure he would've been called out for it if he was not being honest
Thanks given by:
All I know about Morocco I got from the Keith Richards autobiography - it sounded like a fun place to be in 1967!
Thanks given by:
I think MisterZ meant to say "covering face" is not mandatory, not hair, as wearing the hijab is mandatory in Islam. It's very simple when you understand the difference between a hijab, a burka and a niqab. Two of the three are cultural, one is religious, that being the hijab. So there's no surprise here that Morocco is banning the burqa as it would not be interfering with Islamic laws.

(2017-01-11, 09:31 PM)miltonred Wrote:

You wanna know why Milton? Because the true essence of Islam is one way, in the true Islam there is no multiple belief system, there should only be one. I'm adamant about "my view" as you say, because those muslims who don't share my version of Islam always seem to be the one's doing the killing and terrorism, and forcing women to wear Niqabs. That's not my version of Islam, and in my mind, there is either Islam or you're not a goddamn muslim. I don't care if you pray, fast, read the Quran, the moment you think hurting innocent people in the name of God is part of being a muslim then you stop being a muslim. Period.

The only crime muslims like me commit in your eyes (and others like you) is that we refuse to denounce our beliefs for more western beliefs. We choose to cover up and be more modest (women) we choose to pray multiple times a day and fast for a month every year. We choose to grow beards and not eat pork and not drink alcohol. But these are all choices that don't hurt the people around us, yet some people despise us for it. If our women want to go swimming in Burkinis and not real bikini's then why is that problem?

The "muslims" you should really be angry with (as we are equally angry) are the ones who think that everyone in the world should also be a muslim or die, muslims are fighting MUSLIMS in the middle-east on a daily basis. We are fighting each other, do you not think as to why that is, if in your mind you think it's the entire religion that's the problem? People are the problem, because there should only BE one version of Islam and that's the way of the Prophet and his descendants, but unfortunately it's too little too late for that now.
Thanks given by:
I smell an opportunity on the Moroccan black market to produce and sell Burka's

any idea on a selling price?
Thanks given by:
(2017-01-12, 12:14 AM)Bong13 Wrote: I smell an opportunity on the Moroccan black market to produce and sell Burka's

any idea on a selling price?

Currently going around $20 on Kijiji so I'd work around that:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-clothing-lot/miss...nFlag=true
Thanks given by: Bong13
(2017-01-12, 12:06 AM)Ryu65 Wrote: I think MisterZ meant to say "covering face" is not mandatory, not hair, as wearing the hijab is mandatory in Islam.

No I did not and no it is not.

There is no mandate for a woman to cover her hair in the Quran. None.

In those days, women of different religions all wore head coverings. They traditionally tied these head coverings behind their necks, often leaving their cleavage exposed. The Quran states that Muslim women should allow the head scarf to fall in front of them to shield their cleavage, which is a sexual attribute of a woman.That's it.

The Quran does not specifically state the head must be covered, at all.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
The Quran isn't black-and-white MisterZ, if it was, it wouldn't survive the centuries and still be relevant. The Prophet Muhammad revealed the Quran through his connection with Gabriel, only a Prophet or a true descendant of the Prophet can decipher the meanings of the Quran. That's why it's such a powerful book and millions of people are devoted to it's teachings. With that said, the hijab comes from the teachings of the Prophet himself, it's not a matter of reading the Quran and thinking you know what "God" wants. There are hundreds of other books that supplement the information in the Quran, which is why we, as uneducated people, need to get more information before claiming to know what is and isn't in the Quran.
Thanks given by: