Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Movie Reviews
Watched Home Alone last night, that young fellow is one heck of an actor I expect big things from him in the future.

and why didn't those dip shits phone a friend to go see how Kevin was doing
Thanks given by:
Seamus, is that the theatre near Holland and Carling? How is it and what exactly is the difference?
Thanks given by:
(2014-12-01, 06:54 PM)Bong13 Wrote: Watched Home Alone last night, that young fellow is one heck of an actor I expect big things from him in the future.

Also, worst cops ever. Go to the house once, knock and leave lol.
Thanks given by:
Watched 'The Jackie Robinson Story' last night.

Despite the film being pretty awful, it is quite a story.

I can't imagine what day to day life was really like for him.

Looking at MLB today, quite a thing.
Thanks given by:
(2014-12-01, 06:54 PM)Bong13 Wrote: Watched Home Alone last night, that young fellow is one heck of an actor I expect big things from him in the future.

Actually the good son was pretty good...

Home alone is a classic, I love that movie. 2nd one is identical, and almost as fun.
Thanks given by:
Went to go see Interstellar again, and it was just as good as the first time. I caught some things that I missed the first time.

I believe I said it before, but I'll say it again, Hans Zimmer is a bloody genius, and the score to this film is astounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdComTp7KsA
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by: Seamus
Animated kick lately,

Watched 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' and 'Brave' in the last two days.

Both are absolutely gorgeous to look at it.

Incredibly high-end work.
Thanks given by:
(2014-12-01, 07:40 PM)bicboi Wrote: Seamus, is that the theatre near Holland and Carling? How is it and what exactly is the difference?

Are you talking about the evangelical church that used to be a theatre. :-(

Mayfair is on Bank St. and Sunnyside. Southside of the bridge that crosses over the canal to Landsdowne park.

The film has been extended so go to their website for showtimes this weekend and next week.

The biggest difference is the film is shown on 35mm and the projector and sound is run by a professional. 35mm, IIRC, is around 6K resolution. Interstellar at the multiplexes in Ottawa are on 2K. The LieMAX's that claim to show it on 4k are actually running a 4K digital copy through a 2K projector. Actually, two projectors pointing at the screen. That's how they get away with the lie that they are showing 4K IMAX. Like running a blu-ray through a DVD player and you'll pay $17 for that. At the Mayfair, if you're not a member, you'll pay $10 and get a superior presentation. Popcorn is cheaper and tastes better too.

And did I mention that multiplexes save money on lense bulb replacements by dimming the bulb below industry standards? Something that never happens on a 35mm projection because a bulb replacement is cheap.
Thanks given by:
Never thought about any of that. I usually go to the multiplexes because the Mayfair is far for me. But it sounds like a better experience. THe only thing I don't like are the seats being on a low slope so if a tall guy sits in front of you you are screwed. same reason why I don't go to south keys.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the stadium seating at the multiplexes are great.
Thanks given by:
I'm actually close to the mayfair. If the seats have been upgraded, I might give it a shot. Last time I was in there, I vowed never again, but that was about 7 years ago.
Thanks given by:
Oh, God those seats were horrible. No, they are not the same. New seating. If you get there early enough you can sit on one of the couches.
Thanks given by:
I remember springs coming out of some Mayfair seats way back in the day lol. I guess that was part of the "charm".
Thanks given by:
LOL - Yeah, that was under old management when they were showing double bills of second run movies. It was taken over by a new group of cinephiles around 4-5 years ago. Seats were upgraded, couches added in the upper section and the programming changed.
Thanks given by:
It's amazing to think of the movie theatres that I used to go. We have one here in London with really uncomfortable seats, no layered seating, and the screen is tiny as well. Then we have the Silver City up in the north end, and it's miles better.

I hope no one goes to see movies with no layered seating anymore. That's just the worst.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
Predestination

I really am fond of this film. I enjoy a good sci-fi flick. Some solid acting by Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook. Also, Noah Taylor was a great choice for the role of Mr. Robinson. If you can handle a time travel film, this is one of the best I have seen. Not much in terms of action, but a well crafted tale of wonder.
Connor McDavid is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed
Thanks given by:
Definitley interested in that mayfair theatre, walking distance from school, hence walking distance from me.
Thanks given by:
Watched Interstellar last night. Pretty disappointed. Had some really interesting ideas, but lots of flaws in some concepts, and on presentation as well. That robot was freakin ridiculous.
Thanks given by: BlueMountain
Interesting Rye.

I think you are the first (in here) to post with disappointment.

I haven't seen it yet.
Thanks given by:
Honestly Moon is a way better movie than interstellar but I liked both.
Thanks given by: