Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Movie Reviews
(2018-10-06, 08:17 PM)CrazyCanuckMan Wrote:
(2018-10-06, 12:08 AM)bicboi Wrote: Saw Venom, loved every minute of it. One of my favourite childhood characters finally sone right on the big screen (3D made it annoying though), 8/10

Was it that good? I've been really looking forward to seeing it since the previews came out, but last couple days all I've heard were bad reviews on it.

I think its a nice balance between the DCU and MCU in terms or seriousness and humour. There wasn't enough venom-Eddie Brock scenes which is sorely felt but the movie is solid and the reviews don't remotely reflect it. It has a slow build up but the main sections of the film are awesome.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-06, 08:35 PM)bicboi Wrote:
(2018-10-06, 12:08 AM)bicboi Wrote: Saw Venom, loved every minute of it. One of my favourite childhood characters finally sone right on the big screen (3D made it annoying though), 8/10

Was it that good? I've been really looking forward to seeing it since the previews came out, but last couple days all I've heard were bad reviews on it.

I think its a nice balance between the DCU and MCU in terms or seriousness and humour. There wasn't enough venom-Eddie Brock scenes which is sorely felt but the movie is solid and the reviews don't remotely reflect it. It has a slow build up but the main sections of the film are awesome.

Nice, hope it brings some childhood nostalgia. I hated Venom so much as a child when watching the Spider-Man cartoon series haha But he was Spider-Man's greatest nemesis in my opinion when I was a child
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-06, 08:54 PM)CrazyCanuckMan Wrote:

Nice, hope it brings some childhood nostalgia. I hated Venom so much as a child when watching the Spider-Man cartoon series haha But he was Spider-Man's greatest nemesis in my opinion when I was a child

I do wish they had the spider on his chest but that's fine. I also recommend watching it in regular and not 3D.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Saw A Star is Born - would definitely recommend. Lady Gaga does a really good job in it, and the original songs are quite good too.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-06, 09:09 PM)bicboi Wrote:
(2018-10-06, 08:54 PM)CrazyCanuckMan Wrote:

I do wish they had the spider on his chest but that's fine. I also recommend watching it in regular and not 3D.

Haven't seen it yet, but if they are going with an origin story that he wasn't combined with Parker, before Brock, than there would be no reason for the spider on his chest.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-11, 08:42 AM)tmleafer Wrote: Saw A Star is Born - would definitely recommend. Lady Gaga does a really good job in it, and the original songs are quite good too.

Seeing it this weekend, very excited
Thanks given by:
Saw Operation Finale, a Netflix original.

It's a WW2 story I hadn't heard before. It's about the Adolf Eichmann story and his capture and trial by Israel.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's got Oscar Isaac, Ben Kingsley, and Nick Kroll, so a pretty good cast.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
Saw "Leave No Trace" a few nights ago. Great film. The characters and their world are so fully formed and the story becomes about so much more than the basic premise.

It's by the same director as "Winter's Bone", one of Jennifer Lawrence's first notable roles. Both movies are spectacular IMO. It's a shame Debra Granik doesn't direct more.
Thanks given by:
Finally saw MI:Fallout. Didn't enjoy it as much as Rogue Nation, but still a terrific action movie.

It's hard to believe this series started 22 years ago and is still delivering.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-11, 02:42 PM)encore Wrote: Saw Operation Finale, a Netflix original.

It's a WW2 story I hadn't heard before. It's about the Adolf Eichmann story and his capture and trial by Israel.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's got Oscar Isaac, Ben Kingsley, and Nick Kroll, so a pretty good cast.

Its decent ad further confirms that Ben Kingsley can play any nationality lol. But it stretches out a pretty thin story.

Worth a watch though.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-11, 08:42 AM)tmleafer Wrote: Saw A Star is Born - would definitely recommend. Lady Gaga does a really good job in it, and the original songs are quite good too.

I went in with the highest expectations and still came out feeling as though they'd been exceeded. It's one of my favourite movies I've seen in years. 

The chemistry between the two leads could have made or broken this movie, but it was very believable. So much great acting, specifically with Gaga, Sam Elliott, and Bradley Cooper. The music is great and the live concert scenes are maybe my favourite in the whole movie. 

I'm a big fan of Pearl Jam, and Cooper's character is based off of Eddie Vedder, so it was fun for me watching the similarities between the two.
Thanks given by:
Anyone seen "A Star is Burns"? pretty crappy really.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
I watched Hands of Stone, pretty good. Edgar Ramirez is a really good actor. From the Jackal to Roberto Duran.

Ana de Armas, oh my!!!
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-12, 08:52 AM)encore Wrote:

I went in with the highest expectations and still came out feeling as though they'd been exceeded. It's one of my favourite movies I've seen in years. 

The chemistry between the two leads could have made or broken this movie, but it was very believable. So much great acting, specifically with Gaga, Sam Elliott, and Bradley Cooper. The music is great and the live concert scenes are maybe my favourite in the whole movie. 

I'm a big fan of Pearl Jam, and Cooper's character is based off of Eddie Vedder, so it was fun for me watching the similarities between the two.

Yep, I think it definitely deserves the big praise it's getting and the Oscar buzz. I've probably listened to the song "Shallow" from the movie 10-15X in the last couple of days.

Two other music related movies to look forward to in the near future as well in Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman.
Thanks given by:
Venom. I'd say 6.5/10

it had some humor but overall it felt Incomplete, rushed, a bit of blah. but I felt it was fine.
Warning:  Brain May not be Engaged.
Thanks given by:
Bad Times at the El Royale

This one hasn't been marketed very well, the three people I brought to it had never heard of it before I sent them the trailer. It was a pretty fun and quirky thriller type of movie. Almost Tarantino-ish in the style, but not nearly as much violence (though it does have some).

John Hamm, Jeff Bridges, and Chris Hemsworth are in it, so some pretty big names for a movie that's not really being marketed. I actually thought Lewis Pullman (son of Bill Pullman - the President from Independence Day) crushed it and was the best character, hopefully we'll see him in a few more things soon.

My one negative is that I think the pacing is a bit off and it drags a little bit at times, but overall a fun movie, good acting/characters, some really good cinematography, plenty of tense scenes, and overall a pretty solid film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wzBVARwaU <--- Trailer
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-14, 10:22 AM)tmleafer Wrote: Bad Times at the El Royale

This one hasn't been marketed very well, the three people I brought to it had never heard of it before I sent them the trailer. 

Seriously? Do these people not watch TV or go on the internet because I see it everywhere. 

I think Sportsnet shows a commercial for it every second break. lol.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-15, 08:02 PM)Andrew Wrote:
(2018-10-14, 10:22 AM)tmleafer Wrote: Bad Times at the El Royale

This one hasn't been marketed very well, the three people I brought to it had never heard of it before I sent them the trailer. 

Seriously? Do these people not watch TV or go on the internet because I see it everywhere. 

I think Sportsnet shows a commercial for it every second break. lol.

I have seen the commercial at least 15 times
Thanks given by:
I’ve never heard of it but I don’t have cable
Thanks given by:
Yeah Sportsnet's been playing that damn trailer constantly through the MLB playoffs.
Thanks given by: