Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
Movie Reviews
It Comes At Night

Interesting premise, but it ultimately fell pretty flat. There's so much build up, only to have a very disappointing final act. I'd probably suggest skipping this one.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
I watched Open House on Netflix. Was pretty disappointed. I found it quite boring & slow
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-20, 01:41 PM)encore Wrote: It Comes At Night

Interesting premise, but it ultimately fell pretty flat. There's so much build up, only to have a very disappointing final act. I'd probably suggest skipping this one.

Boooooo!!

I liked it. I thought it was way better than the grossly overrated Get Out.
Thanks given by:
Saw Phantom Thread last night. Best movie of the year hands down.
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-20, 02:16 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2018-01-20, 01:41 PM)encore Wrote: It Comes At Night

Boooooo!!

I liked it. I thought it was way better than the grossly overrated Get Out.

From what I read, it was really divided between critics and the audience. I wanted to like it because I've been a big fan of Joel Edgerton since The Gift, but this movie just didn't do it for me. Like I mentioned, I thought the build up was so strong and was ultimately let down by what I think was a lackluster ending.
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-20, 03:00 PM)shadylane Wrote: Saw Phantom Thread last night. Best movie of the year hands down.

Daniel Day Lewis' last movie I believe.

May have to check this one out.
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-20, 05:55 PM)encore Wrote:
(2018-01-20, 03:00 PM)shadylane Wrote: Saw Phantom Thread last night. Best movie of the year hands down.

I would highly highly highly recommend it. DDL is one of the best actors of his generation IMHO and I was blown away by the performances from the women in this film. I suspect we'll be hearing a lot more of Vicky Krieps in the next few years. Hers was one of the best performances in recent memory from a female lead. Heck, any lead. Lesley Manville was also great in her role.
Thanks given by: encore , encore
(2018-01-20, 06:01 PM)shadylane Wrote:
(2018-01-20, 05:55 PM)encore Wrote:

I would highly highly highly recommend it. DDL is one of the best actors of his generation IMHO and I was blown away by the performances from the women in this film. I suspect we'll be hearing a lot more of Vicky Krieps in the next few years. Hers was one of the best performances in recent memory from a female lead. Heck, any lead. Lesley Manville was also great in her role.

I'll look for it. 

I need to watch more of DDL's early stuff. I watched Lincoln a few months ago, and IMO he made an otherwise mediocre movie quite good. His work in Gangs of New York was pretty great too.

There Will Be Blood is one I need to watch.
Thanks given by:
Yeah he was good in Gangs even though I thought the movie was just so-so.

Oh man... There Will Be Blood is one of my favourites of all time. Another PT Anderson flick. The film is almost entirely centered around his character so if you're a fan of DDL it's a must-watch.
Thanks given by:
Watched Three Billboards.  Very good movie.  The acting from McDormand Harrelson and Rockwell was fantastic.

Thanks given by:
(2018-01-20, 06:10 PM)LeafalCrusader Wrote: Watched Three Billboards.  Very good movie.  The acting from McDormand Harrelson and Rockwell was fantastic.

Sam Rockwell is one of the best actors around IMO.
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-20, 06:11 PM)encore Wrote:
(2018-01-20, 06:10 PM)LeafalCrusader Wrote: Watched Three Billboards.  Very good movie.  The acting from McDormand Harrelson and Rockwell was fantastic.

Sam Rockwell is one of the best actors around IMO.

He’s a shoe-in for the Oscar for his performance in 3 Billboards
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-20, 06:08 PM)shadylane Wrote: Oh man... There Will Be Blood is one of my favourites of all time. Another PT Anderson flick. The film is almost entirely centered around his character so if you're a fan of DDL it's a must-watch.

Watched it this morning. Great movie.

The final scene is some of the best acting I've seen.
Thanks given by:
(2018-01-18, 11:15 AM)miltonred Wrote:
(2018-01-14, 07:07 PM)peg_city Wrote: The Post - The movie is about the Washington Post and the decision to release the Pentagon Papers after Nixon obtained an Injunction, stopping the New York Times, who was originally releasing portions of the report, from continuing to do so. In all, I was disappointed in the movie largely because it focused around the Washington Post owner, who was thrust into her position due to her spouse dying, and wasn't really qualified to be in that position. The movie should have been about Vietnam and the government cover up. The Post really felt like a 'yeah for the press' movie, which is fine, however Spotlight won best picture 2 years ago. Sorry for the long post. I need to vent to someone, anyone.
Agreed it wasn't the greatest of movies, but it was good, and defending the free press is much more in the zeitgeist than re-hashing the Vietnam debacle, don't you think?

Has there been a recent movie about the extent of American involvement in Vietnam and how it was sold? If so, I withdraw my original statement.

I really felt the movie could have been so much more than it was.
Thanks given by:
It was very good
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by: