Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North America wins 2026 WC bid
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27808...=editorial
Thanks given by:
yeah, WC games in Canada. Wonder which cities will get them. Definitely plan to attend some games, maybe in the US too.
Thanks given by:
Too bad the USA gets the large majority of games, but I guess that was to be expected and I’m assuming was part of the package that won the rights to host.

Still an exciting time for Canadian soccer. Does this mean Canada, USA and Mexico all get direct entry? That is gonna make CONCACAF qualifying interesting, unless the field is increased by that time.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 07:52 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: yeah, WC games in Canada.  Wonder which cities will get them.  Definitely plan to attend some games, maybe in the US too.

Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal.

Vancouver didn't want them. (BC pulled out due to cost concerns, and could not come to an agreement with the bid committee)

And the tourney has been expanded to 48 teams
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 08:12 AM)encore Wrote: Too bad the USA gets the large majority of games, but I guess that was to be expected and I’m assuming was part of the package that won the rights to host.

Still an exciting time for Canadian soccer. Does this mean Canada, USA and Mexico all get direct entry? That is gonna make CONCACAF qualifying interesting, unless the field is increased by that time.

FIFA are going to have to vote if 3 would auto-qualify.
Thanks given by:
Hopefully Canada can score a goal this time around
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 08:38 AM)Chris D Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 07:52 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: yeah, WC games in Canada.  Wonder which cities will get them.  Definitely plan to attend some games, maybe in the US too.

Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal.

Vancouver didn't want them. (BC pulled out due to cost concerns, and could not come to an agreement with the bid committee)

And the tourney has been expanded to 48 teams

Thanks.

Do you know what american cities are hosting?
Thanks given by:
They haven't listed them yet. They're going to pick the centres with the new big NFL stadiums most likely. They're selecting 10. You can assume there will be Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/Edmonton on the list for Canada.

It's going to take a long while before real details come out. It's 8 years away so a long way to go.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 09:52 AM)Busby Wrote: They haven't listed them yet.  They're going to pick the centres with the new big NFL stadiums most likely.  They're selecting 10.  You can assume there will be Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/Edmonton on the list for Canada.  

It's going to take a long while before real details come out.  It's 8 years away so a long way to go.

Only 21 cities pre qualified bu the fifa deadline. Ony 3 in Canada, (Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal). The will get the number down to 16 realistacally. So 2 or 3 from Canada. If it's 2 it will be Edmonton and Toronto. Those 2/3 cities will probably split around 10 games. No confirmation yet if the hosts all qualify but with the expansion to 48 teams concacaf gets 6 spots so it would be plausible that they do.
Thanks given by:
Vancouver and Chicago opted out
Thanks given by:
I found the list of cities in the bid:

UNITED STATES
Atlanta

Baltimore

Boston

Cincinnati

Dallas

Denver

Houston

Kansas City

Los Angeles

Miami

Nashville

New York/New Jersey

Orlando

Philadelphia

San Francisco Bay Area

Seattle

Washington D.C.

CANADA
Edmonton

Montreal

Toronto

MEXICO
Mexico City

Guadalajara

Monterrey
Thanks given by:
Toronto has the smallest stadium of any of these, so I'd wager there won't be too much to crow about here match wise. What info do you have that it will be Edmonton and Toronto, rather than MTL?

Also I was under the impression that the Canadian and Mexican cities (6 total) were set and they were whittling down the US sites to 10. I don't really care, but clarity on the info would be nice.

The expanded format is just brutal. It gives Canada a chance, which is interesting given the shitshow that is the CSA, but really waters things down.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 10:52 AM)bfitz77 Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 09:52 AM)Busby Wrote: They haven't listed them yet.  They're going to pick the centres with the new big NFL stadiums most likely.  They're selecting 10.  You can assume there will be Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/Edmonton on the list for Canada.  

It's going to take a long while before real details come out.  It's 8 years away so a long way to go.

Only 21 cities pre qualified bu the fifa deadline. Ony 3 in Canada, (Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal). The will get the number down to 16 realistacally. So 2 or 3 from Canada. If it's 2 it will be Edmonton and Toronto. Those 2/3 cities will probably split around 10 games. No confirmation yet if the hosts all qualify but with the expansion to 48 teams concacaf gets 6 spots so it would be plausible that they do.

I think its official that three cities, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, will be splitting 10 games.

At least that's what I thought I read.....
Thanks given by:
Hopefully Canada can be more competitive in eight years. I think we could potentially be a top 3 or 4 team in CONCACAF by then if all goes well. Alphonso Davies looks like a really bright talent and there’s gonna be guys that aren’t even on anyone’s radar that hopefully steps up by then.
 'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.'
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 12:29 PM)encore Wrote: Hopefully Canada can be more competitive in eight years. I think we could potentially be a top 3 or 4 team in CONCACAF by then if all goes well. Alphonso Davies looks like a really bright talent and there’s gonna be guys that aren’t even on anyone’s radar that hopefully steps up by then.

Yeah 8 years is a very long time.  Look at your local u10-u14 teams for their brightest.  You never know.  

As for tickets...here's the breakdown. Get saving.  Those Cat4 tickets are generally reserved for locals, but the reseller market will be unreal.  

[Image: 6a46ea1331ad878936e8af41bb316475.png]
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 12:23 PM)Pouzar Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 10:52 AM)bfitz77 Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 09:52 AM)Busby Wrote: They haven't listed them yet.  They're going to pick the centres with the new big NFL stadiums most likely.  They're selecting 10.  You can assubme there will be Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver/Edmonton on the list for Canada.  

I think its official that three cities, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal, will be splitting 10 games.

At least that's what I thought I read.....

I thought I heard on the radio this am that there was some concern about the stadium in Montreal needing fairly large renos. And funding may not be there. Hopefully I am wrong because I believe Montreal needs to be included.
Thanks given by:
holy crap busby.. those prices are a lot steeper than I was anticipating. Bummer.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 12:19 PM)Busby Wrote: Toronto has the smallest stadium of any of these, so I'd wager there won't be too much to crow about here match wise.  What info do you have that it will be Edmonton and Toronto, rather than MTL?

Also I was under the impression that the Canadian and Mexican cities (6 total) were set and they were whittling down the US sites to 10. I don't really care, but clarity on the info would be nice.

The expanded format is just brutal.  It gives Canada a chance, which is interesting given the shitshow that is the CSA, but really waters things down.

Do the host stadiums need to be natural grass, or can they play on turf?
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 03:11 PM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-06-13, 12:19 PM)Busby Wrote: Toronto has the smallest stadium of any of these, so I'd wager there won't be too much to crow about here match wise.  What info do you have that it will be Edmonton and Toronto, rather than MTL?

The expanded format is just brutal.  It gives Canada a chance, which is interesting given the shitshow that is the CSA, but really waters things down.

Do the host stadiums need to be natural grass, or can they play on turf?

Grass
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-13, 11:06 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: Vancouver and Chicago opted out

I'm extremely disappointed that the NDP government in BC pulled out of the bid when they won the election with the propping up from the Green Party.

I'll hit Edmonton to watch a game and definitely will hit Seattle which is less than a two hour drive to catch a few games.

The Americans have a great deal as they get to host every game in the quarter finals and after that.
Thanks given by: