Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not a CFL Q, but Jr Q
I don’t know tiers and leagues in football like hockey. But have a question since my little brother is signed with the Edmonton Huskies. What is the equivalent league in hockey, the Huskies play in football?
Thanks given by:
AJHL
cfl
Thanks given by: teamblue
Playing well could lead to a college scholarship then?
Thanks given by:
Lol not AJHL, more like junior B

I tried out for the Calgary Colts in 1993

Canadian university is your AJHL

All that said congrats to your brother , it’s still a great accomplishment
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
(2019-07-05, 08:44 AM)teamblue Wrote: Playing well could lead to a college scholarship then?

Yes it could but he needs to be spectacular in his first season.
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
(2019-07-07, 05:16 AM)Bong13 Wrote:
(2019-07-05, 08:44 AM)teamblue Wrote: Playing well could lead to a college scholarship then?

Yes it could but he needs to be spectacular in his first season.

Hope he does. He was on Team North in the Senior Bowl this year.
What’s the age to get drafted in football? Is it usually after college or university?
Thanks given by:
I think Bong has it right with the hockey comparison, I presume this team plays in the CJFL.

I played for a team at the same level (Ottawa Sooners), there were a few that got NCAA scholarships in our league, but they were far and few between. He is really going to have to be dominant (and I mean dominant) in year 1 for that to happen. I would also caution about accepting “scholarships” from Div II schools, as that can still mean he’d be on the hook for an astonishing amount of money, as they will basically just cover tuition, and not necessarily any international student fees, and almost certainly not any of the housing/food costs.

What is far more likely to happen is that he is going to have CIS teams come knocking. There will be no full ride from any of these schools, but they can help get him enrolled if his grades aren’t all that great from high school and he’d also have a leg up in the “program” on any other rookies coming in. That’s the route I went (but never ended up even playing a down as I had 2 knee blow outs in consecutive training camps).

I had turned down an offer from a Div II school before I started even playing junior. At a time where our exchange rate was at like 60 cents, it would have been crippling. A buddy went down a year earlier and came back to Canada because it was too crazy expensive. NCAA athletes are not allowed to have part time jobs, so pretty much everything has to be taken care of through loans.

Mind you that was in the late 90’s/early 2000’s so things may of (and likely have!) changed.
Thanks for the info Heisenberg. That’s good to know.

And sorry to hear injuries took your opportunity away.
Thanks given by:
No prob, and it’s far from a sad story, I got a University degree that I probably would have never received if it weren’t for football!
I stick by my comparison. AJHL.

AJHL is one step below Major junior.
cfl
Thanks given by:
Strength of leagues feeding the CFL (and this is ignoring the NFL) goes:

CFL
NCAA
CIS
CJFL

So I’d say Jr B is still the best comparison. CIS would be the AJHL comparison in that scenario. NCAA is your major junior.
Thanks given by: Bong13