Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now thats its official
Now that we've have had a few days to digest whats taken place, and  Have a little more cliarity on weather  KL  will show up or sit out etc etc. We know all had a chance to hear Maasai's new conference.
Honestly i am not really sure if this guy resigns or not.. 
But they have given them selves a great chance and you never know
Thanks given by:
The Raptors are just a big question mark this year.

- New coach
- Trading away your star player
- Possible feelings of resentment among other key players (Lowry)
- Growing pains among their young guys

And most importantly, acquiring a superstar that hasn’t really played in a year and has some serious character concerns.

If everyone, including Kawhi, buys in then I can see Toronto possibly winning the East. If they don’t, it could be a long season.
Thanks given by:
I think this team is managed by a bunch of clowns.
You're stuck with an over the hill PG who makes way too much money.
you fired the best coach in franchise history
I do believe you needed to trade D-Ro, to simply get that contract off the books.
You don't need a star coming back, and especially not one like KL.

You needed a rebuild, and 1 year of kawhi isn't going to change that.
The only thing you can hope for is a sign and trade after he has a good season.
That is literally BEST CASE.

I like the drafting this management has done, but without a true tank,
we wont acquire the high end talent that's required to win titles.
Kawhi is that talented, but only when A) he's healthy, and B) he wants to play.
None of which will probably be 100% true this coming season.

Even if all the chips fall perfectly and we win the East, we will still lose in the final and Kawhi walks.

This is just a bandaid to the inevitable rebuild.
O' for a good life, we just might have to weaken
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-22, 10:41 AM)Chip Wrote: I think this team is managed by a bunch of clowns.
You're stuck with an over the hill PG who makes way too much money.
you fired the best coach in franchise history
I do believe you needed to trade D-Ro, to simply get that contract off the books.
You don't need a star coming back, and especially not one like KL.

You needed a rebuild, and 1 year of kawhi isn't going to change that.
The only thing you can hope for is a sign and trade after he has a good season.
That is literally BEST CASE.

I like the drafting this management has done, but without a true tank,
we wont acquire the high end talent that's required to win titles.
Kawhi is that talented, but only when A) he's healthy, and B) he wants to play.
None of which will probably be 100% true this coming season.

Even if all the chips fall perfectly and we win the East, we will still lose in the final and Kawhi walks.

This is just a bandaid to the inevitable rebuild.

I'm not really sure what you expected.

This has been, by far, the most successful period in Raptors history.

Not all moves have been perfect, but management has given this core everything they need to try and win - that includes some terrific young drafted (and in the case of VanVleet, undrafted) talent.

This trade actually gives the Raptors the ability rebuild sooner and frees up valuable cap space. If the move isn't made, they still have DeRozan (who they likely weren't going to commit to after he opts out of his contract in a few years), but they lose flexibility and they're also likely to end up with the same result as the previous years - an early playoff exit.

Unfortunately for DeRozan, the kind of stars that get to play their entire career for one team are ones that win something and/or are superstars.

DeRozan doesn't belong in either category.
Thanks given by:
I totally agree. Maybe my statements came off as more negative than they needed to be?
I just really hated the firing of DC. There was no reason to, apart from making the GM look somewhat better, I don't know.
DeRo had to go, like I said.
They need a rebuild and I think if they realized that before extending lowry with that stupid contract, they could've been further ahead.

Look at Philly, that's what we needed to be doing 3 years ago.
You can't win with a player like DeRozan as your star. Much like most of the "stars" we had, VC excluded.
I like the drafting and the young guys coming up.
We need a team made up like that. We don't need Kawhi.
I would've preferred futures for DeRozan, that's all.
But like I said, if they sign and trade Kawhi after a good season, and get a good haul, then i'm okay with it.
Thanks given by:
The trade for Kawhi is probably going to expedite the rebuild process.

With Demar, they likely would have to wait until after the 2019/2020 season until they could start the rebuild. But Kawhi's contract will be off the books next off-season. They'll still have Lowry and Ibaka's big contracts for another year (unless they're dealt), but rebuilding is going to be a lot easier without Derozan. Kawhi gives them a better chance to win next year and it allows them to rebuild sooner (unless the very unlikely scenario that he re-signs).

They likely weren't getting futures for Derozan because I don't believe his value was all that high, and because it would have been very difficult to match salaries.
Thanks given by: thebest41587
I came across this, thought it was very interesting...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/jeff-blair-...on-rental/
Its only about 7 or  8 mins..
Thanks given by:
You know...people love dismissing Derozan like he is some scrub barely deserving to be a starter or something...no value...not a superstar...

There were only 10 guys last year who had better points per game than him...that's it. In 2017, he was FIFTH in points per game. Say what you will about his lack of 3's, or defensive issues...he put up points more than most...certainly more than kawhi...him, and his scoring, will be missed.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-24, 08:01 AM)Chris D Wrote: You know...people love dismissing Derozan like he is some scrub barely deserving to be a starter or something...no value...not a superstar...

There were only 10 guys last year who had better points per game than him...that's it.   In 2017, he was FIFTH in points per game.  Say what you will about his lack of 3's, or defensive issues...he put up points more than most...certainly more than kawhi...him, and his scoring, will be missed.
I dont think people are dismissing him as a scrub, i beleive people are just saying KL is more all round better player then demar.. and a true superstar..
No doubt demar is a very good player but just not a great player who failed numerous times when it counted most
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-24, 08:01 AM)Chris D Wrote: You know...people love dismissing Derozan like he is some scrub barely deserving to be a starter or something...no value...not a superstar...

There were only 10 guys last year who had better points per game than him...that's it.   In 2017, he was FIFTH in points per game.  Say what you will about his lack of 3's, or defensive issues...he put up points more than most...certainly more than kawhi...him, and his scoring, will be missed.

DeRozan is one of the best players in the league at getting to the rim and getting fouled. He's got one of the best mid-range games in the NBA too. I think he's gonna really excel with the Spurs. Great coaches have a way of turning good players into great players. Leonard is a great example with the Spurs, Irving is another good example with Boston. I think DeRozan is gonna have a great season in San Antonio. I'm not sure he'll match any career high for points, but hopefully Popovich can reign his poor shot selection in and help to tighten up his defensive miscues.
Thanks given by:
The problem is, the NBA isn't a mid-range game.
It's all about the 3 ball and he can't hit them.
And to be making 28mil and not being able to hit the 3, he's got to go.

He's a decent player, but he can't be making that much money and be the best player on your team.
He's a secondary guy.

The Raps need to retool / rebuild. They already have a great bench of young guys.
It was time to move past this era and keep moving forward.
Thanks given by:

Not in the playoffs. He disappeared in many games when it mattered. That's why he is gone.
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-25, 01:21 PM)Chip Wrote: The problem is, the NBA isn't a mid-range game.
It's all about the 3 ball and he can't hit them.
And to be making 28mil and not being able to hit the 3, he's got to go.

He's a decent player, but he can't be making that much money and be the best player on your team.
He's a secondary guy.

The Raps need to retool / rebuild. They already have a great bench of young guys.
It was time to move past this era and keep moving forward.

I get what you're saying in regards to his 3 point game, but DeRozan had showed he was committed to improving from 3. He had his 2nd best career shooting perecentage from 3 this past season, with a career high in attempts (actually attempted more last year, than the 2 previous years combined, nearly 3).

It would not surprise me for DeRozan to continue to improve this aspect of his game. And his mid range game, was a unique weapon the Raptors had really. Not many guys were as good as him 15-18 feet, especially when his pump fake was working and on the attack to the rim too. He's been in the Top 6 in free throw attempts 4 of the last 5 seasons.
Thanks given by:
Demar canot play defense period....i am sure he will get better at it with the spurs, he will have no choice.. he will not get the same star trearment he did here.. because he is a good player just not a great player..
Thanks given by:
Holy, Derozan is acting like a baby in the aftermath of this trade. Taylor Hall ain't got nothin' on this dude!
Thanks given by:
I'm not a fan of this trade because Derozan is the best Raptor of all time and I wanted to see him retire. Having said that, this is a move to give the team one last shot woth this core. After KL leaves, Raptors go into rebuild mode faster than they would have with Demar.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2018-07-29, 03:29 PM)bicboi Wrote: I'm not a fan of this trade because Derozan is the best Raptor of all time and I wanted to see him retire. Having said that, this is a move to give the team one last shot woth this core. After KL leaves, Raptors go into rebuild mode faster than they would have with Demar.

I agree he deserves the title of best Raptor of all time but the reality is that players who stick with one team for their entire career are winners that are superstars.

As much as I like DeRozan, he has faltered in the playoffs and isn't a superstar.
Thanks given by: