Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Season news & Notes
Chabot accepted his invitation to play for Canada at the world's. He'll get to play with some stars, hope he'll make the most out of jt and come home with a medal. 

Duchene declined to play. Hope evwrytheveis all right with him. He had a decent finish to the season in terms of production. Would've been nice to see him at the World's as well. 

Don't think Stone will be healthy enough to make the roster. Needs to focus on getting back to 100%.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/...qit5w28exy
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Looking forward to the draft for the first time in a while (sadly) so there's that at least, and then we have the whole Karlsson situation. I think Dorion is going to be pretty busy this summer, let's just hope he makes the right moves.
Thanks given by:
Kovalchuk apparently signing for 2-3 years with the Rags. Costs them nothing but money. Wondering if Kovalchuk would've done a one year deal here just to prove that he's still a top 6 forward lol. Although I'm not sure I'd want a player like him on our team. Would make Yashin look respectable imo
Thanks given by:
Senators sign forward Andrew Sturtz to a two-year entry-level contract
College free agent is Penn State's all-time leading scorer
by Sens Communications @Media_Sens / Ottawa Senators
March 28th, 2018

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators (@Senators) announced today that the club has signed college free agent forward Andrew Sturtz to a two-year entry-level contract beginning in 2018-19.

Sturtz, 23, led the NCAA's Penn State University Nittany Lions in scoring during his junior season with 40 points, including 14 goals. Over three college seasons, the 5-8, 185-pound, Buffalo native scored 54 goals and recorded 104 points in 111 career games. His 54 career goals leave him as the all-time leading goal scorer in the program's history.

"Andrew is a player whom we identified as someone we were interested in for some time," said Senators general manager Pierre Dorion. "He is a skilled, competitive player who can play both centre and the wing. He's not only talented, but the type of character player we are looking for. He'll graduate from Penn State in only three years and we look forward to having him in camp next season."

Prior to attending Penn State, Sturtz played two seasons with the Carleton Place Canadians, recording 176 points (81 goals) in 116 CCHL games.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/senato...-297413996
____

Keep stocking up the cupboards Dorion, internal competition might light a fire under the asses of players that haven't been progressing too much. He's not the biggest guy but might be a sleeper hit like Martin St.Louis
Thanks given by:
Karlsson's comments today give me some hope. He's put the ball in Eugene's court. So let's hope the fan pressure has an impact on the organization this spring and summer.
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-09, 02:31 PM)bicboi Wrote: Kovalchuk apparently signing for 2-3 years with the Rags. Costs them nothing but money. Wondering if Kovalchuk would've done a one year deal here just to prove that he's still a top 6 forward lol. Although I'm not sure I'd want a player like him on our team. Would make Yashin look respectable imo

This is exactly the type of thinking that has had this team spin its wheels for 10 years.
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-09, 07:01 PM)andreroy Wrote:
(2018-04-09, 02:31 PM)bicboi Wrote: Kovalchuk apparently signing for 2-3 years with the Rags. Costs them nothing but money. Wondering if Kovalchuk would've done a one year deal here just to prove that he's still a top 6 forward lol. Although I'm not sure I'd want a player like him on our team. Would make Yashin look respectable imo

This is exactly the type of thinking that has had this team spin its wheels for 10 years.

Nothing wrong with trying to sign someone on a one year deal and moving them if it doesn't work out. We did it with Kovalev, problem is giving out the contract that we did to him was a huge mistake given how overpaid he was.

We're gonna have a lot of young players in the line up, I'd rather not throw them all to the wolves if we can help it.
Thanks given by:
Do you really think that Kovalchuk, who was reportedly paid $20M USD in Russia, would come over to Ottawa for only one season guaranteed at basically 50 cents on the dollar?

I appreciate what you want to do. But the only way to do that is by not completely gutting your team.
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-09, 07:24 PM)andreroy Wrote: Do you really think that Kovalchuk, who was reportedly paid $20M USD in Russia, would come over to Ottawa for only one season guaranteed at basically 50 cents on the dollar?

Not at all, just posting about it because I hope we can land a FA or two that is low risk but could be flipped possibly. Didn't know he was paid $20 million usd in Russia either. Fun to talk about for me
Thanks given by:
The FA market is for spare parts now. You're not signing quality players at one or two year deals. And if you are, you are taking a chance.

Also look at Montreal with Radulov. The next season, they didn't want to give him a raise. They didn't think or plan on him being that good. Now they have nothing. These are band-aid solutions at best, and for the money you have to spend it's just not good business.
Thanks given by:
I don't entirely agree. Players like Vanek, Grabner, etc... are low cost and could be decent stop gaps if management doesn't have faith in the prospects. I still don't know why Montreal didn't pay Radulov, the $6.25 they saved by not getting him wasn't really spent on anything significant.

MacArthur signed a two year deal with us, ended up getting an extension. It was low risk and not that bad for someone who was 29. I'm hoping Dorion can score similar deals.
Thanks given by:
You have a point but it really depends on the direction for next year. I don't see this team taking a path where taking a stab at a guy can be justified.
Thanks given by:
I don’t really think that’s the approach they should take either, but desperation may set in AR. There is no way Dorion wants to surrender a pick similar to this years.

Happy to hear EKs comments as well. I feel he will stay as long as Melnyk is willing to open his wallet. THATs what I don’t have great faith in.

Not a lot of positives from this season aside from Chabot. And despite giving up a first, Duchene is a definite upgrade on Turris. Funny how the Toronto centric media tried to paint that as the worst trade of all time after the first few weeks, now you don’t hear a peep about it.

Hopefully Wolnanin turns out to be a good player for us. He looked decent coming straight from school over he last few games he got to play in.

Dzingel was a nice surprise as well, although I feel we should sell high on him.
Thanks given by:
http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/o...is-pothole

Duchene thinks this team can compete next year. He also wants no part of a rebuild, lol we might have to trade him just as he's producing properly. At least it increases his value a little.
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-10, 12:22 PM)bicboi Wrote: http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/o...is-pothole

Duchene thinks this team can compete next year. He also wants no part of a rebuild, lol
we might have to trade him just as he's producing properly. At least it increases his value a little.

If the Sens aren't able to show immediate signs of improvement by this time next year, then you're going to have a malcontent player on your hands...oh boy. Plain
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-10, 05:55 PM)ckendall Wrote:
(2018-04-10, 12:22 PM)bicboi Wrote: http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/o...is-pothole

Duchene thinks this team can compete next year. He also wants no part of a rebuild, lol
we might have to trade him just as he's producing properly. At least it increases his value a little.

If the Sens aren't able to show immediate signs of improvement by this time next year, then you're going to have a malcontent player on your hands...oh boy. Plain

Lol its a really weird feeling. I really want Karlsson to stay, its fun following hockey and making it a part of my life. I'm just trying to prepare myself to react not "too badly" if he doesn't stay here
Thanks given by:
Sounds like EK is gone. Doesn’t look like Melnyk has any plans to offer him a decent contract, then they will try to paint him as the bad guy when he doesn’t accept.

Brutal. But not unexpected I guess. Hope we get a good return in a trade.
Thanks given by:
Dorion did say they're offering him a market value contract. Lets just hope they don't lowball him with a $88 or 9 million dollar one. Start with $10 or 11 and let him know that extra $1 or 2 million will hinder the teams ability to be competitive (sign Duchene, etc...)
Thanks given by:
It's really up to EK. He will get more money from other teams so it won't surprise me if he leaves for a fresh start.
Thanks given by:
https://www.letsgoleafs.com/articles/sen...-at-leafs/

Lol, Melnyk talking shit.

I appreciate the attempt to start some beef with them, but Toronto is night and day compared to us. They have better forward depth than probably any other team in the league and its only going to get better. The one thing we have over them is Karlsson but we're not in a position to talk given how bad this season was lol
Thanks given by: