Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Season news & Notes
Huh. Would you rather have Boedeker, or a 2nd, 4th and 5th rounders?
Thanks given by:
Boedeker. Gaborik. Ryan.

That's like 20 million for 20 goals.
Thanks given by:
Pretty nice day for Doug Wilson.

Sheds a bad contract in Boedker, and gets a 2nd, a 4th, and a 5th in the process.

The only thing of significance that he parted with was Bergman (who was a decent prospect, but far from a sure thing).
All-in-all, he did really well today, and set himself up to take as hard a run at Tavares as anyone in the league.

Gotta think Dorion is a bit pissed, as he presumably wanted to trade Hoffman out of the division, and Wilson turns around and flips him without the cap-dump to Florida.

IMO, you'd rather have the return Wilson got than what OTT got for the initial trade, and clearly Florida was willing to trade for him without expecting salary to go the other way.
Thanks given by:
Meh, this is as good as it gets I suppose...at least he’s gone now and perhaps EK will still sign if there are indications of a looming change in ownership. Hopefully this Bergman guy works out, and Boedker is a serviceable player to be sure, even if he’s overpaid. Although $4M isn’t teribble if he can manage 40pts, and could be a good deal if he returns to form from 3-4 years ago.

Would have got a better return if all the dirt didn’t get out I’m sure.
Thanks given by:
Dorion just getting bossed by his peers. No net gain in picks when this team doesn't have many after Round 1 in this year's draft. Next year's draft looks like an impending disaster with no first round pick and a handful in the later rounds, when all indications is that THEY WILL BE EXPANSION YEAR BAD.

There is just no plan here, they are just lurching from crisis to crisis with a couple of useless shiteads in charge.

If it wasn't obvious already, this franchise is a laughing-stock right now. If Stone and Karlsson give them the time of day in negotiations I'd be shocked.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-19, 09:57 AM)himmelblau Wrote: Boedeker. Gaborik. Ryan.

Going by last years numbers, works out to be $16M cap hit for 39 goals. 

The most concerning part is that the 3 only combined for 182 GP last season. These guys miss too much time with injuries.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-19, 09:43 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: Huh.  Would you rather have Boedeker, or a 2nd, 4th and 5th rounders?

They need picks. They are only bringing Boedker to meet the salary floor as far as I can see. lol.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-19, 10:16 AM)Heisenberg Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 09:57 AM)himmelblau Wrote: Boedeker. Gaborik. Ryan.

Going by last years numbers, works out to be $16M cap hit for 39 goals. 

The most concerning part is that the 3 only combined for 182 GP last season. These guys miss too much time with injuries.

We will see what happens but the path in front of them right now is: Total tank job with no guarantee of a draft pick next year.

These people are out of their ***** minds. Or they are stupid.
Thanks given by:
Both.
Thanks given by:
No way were we going to get full value for Hoff, we can blame his idiot gf for that. Keeping him wasn't an option either so i get this trade. We get a serviceable forward, I'd rather have Boeddler at $4 million over Ryan or Gaborik. We get a decent developing young RD, and a draft pick.

Can't expect Dorion to do much in a situation like this. If anything, kudos to him for acknowledging that he is all about maintaining composure in the locker room. Now go beg to EK so that he stays lol
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Hoffman must really love his girlfriend after what she has done to screw up his career (for now).

Dorion must be really pissed to see what Wilson got for Hoffman AND that Hoffman is back in the Atlantic Division.
Thanks given by:
Dorion can be angry. Angry at himself for being soooo ***** stupid.

Although Tallon says they discussed a deal last week and FLA didn't have what he wanted. Which I suppose is an overpaid bum with 37 points.
Thanks given by:
I seriously don't see how anyone could look at a 2nd, 4th and 5th and think that it will be any better than Boedker and Bergman.
It's only $6mil in salary over 2 years but $4mil in cap hit/year. vs Hoffmans $11.3 in salary and $5.2M in cap hit.

So overall the Sens save 5.3 Mil cash, and $1.2M in cap hit for what, 7 goals?
Thanks given by: Ryu65 , Ryu65
And Boedker is a stronger 2 way player than Hoffman. I don’t think the trade is all that bad either, considering the extreme position of weakness Dorion was trading from. The return could of been worse. Like the Spezza trade.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-19, 03:08 PM)Heisenberg Wrote: And Boedker is a stronger 2 way player than Hoffman. I don’t think the trade is all that bad either, considering the extreme position of weakness Dorion was trading from. The return could of been worse. Like the Spezza trade.

Pretty much this. Its hard to blame Dorion on the situation. Heck, this is one case where the Sens didn't even air their dirty laundry but it still came out. Lets see what happens on Friday now
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-19, 02:51 PM)PaliSENS Wrote: I seriously don't see how anyone could look at a 2nd, 4th and 5th and think that it will be any better than Boedker and Bergman.
It's only $6mil in salary over 2 years but $4mil in cap hit/year. vs Hoffmans $11.3 in salary and $5.2M in cap hit.

So overall the Sens save 5.3 Mil cash, and $1.2M in cap hit for what, 7 goals?

I was reading through the comments in thread shaking my head until I got to yours. I was ready to post this exact same sentiment, we made out like bandits here, no way would I have wanted a 2nd, 4th and 5th for a guy like Hoffman that's a joke. Boedker is actually a good player and this Bergman kid was drafted in the second round so he has potential to actually become a good defenseman. Strong return considering the circumstances, and on the plus side, maybe Boedker can stop scoring hat-tricks against us now Wink
Thanks given by:
Quote:The Ottawa Valley is in an uproar after the San Jose Sharks cunningly flipped Mike Hoffman to the Senators’ Atlantic Division rival in Florida on Tuesday.

Right now, that’s just noise.

Senators’ general manager Pierre Dorion has bigger fish to fry than the Sharks. His phone is ringing off the hook on captain Erik Karlsson.

Dorion said he would table an eight-year contract extension offer to Karlsson on July 1, but Karlsson might not last in Ottawa that long.

There are many teams around the NHL who believe that Karlsson could soon follow Hoffman out the door, maybe even this week as the league descends on Dallas for the draft.

Karlsson has been locked in at No. 1 on TSN’s Trade Bait board since February. Already at the top of the list, there is no way for No. 1 to trend upward but the talk on Karlsson is expected to drastically heat up in the coming days.

The Karlsson Watch is on.

Karlsson, 28, holds the keys to how this all plays out – armed with both a 10-team no-trade list and the fact that he is entering the final year of his contract, the destination must be a long-term fit. It’s unlikely any team would shell out significant assets without at least getting the green light from Karlsson’s camp on a potential new contract.

The Vegas Golden Knights remain at the centre of the Karlsson Watch, the team that went down to the wire with the Senators on deadline day in February.

The Senators were reportedly deep into discussions with Vegas on Karlsson as late as 10 or 15 minutes before the 3 p.m. deadline.

The Golden Knights are a prime candidate because they have the pieces, picks and – if not most importantly – the cap space to pull a deal off.

A large part of the Karlsson package is believed to be the new team taking on Bobby Ryan and the $7.25 million cap hit that comes with him for each of the four seasons remaining on his deal. The Golden Knights have just $48.5 million committed to next season’s cap, which could rise to as much as $82 million.

That is enough room to swallow Ryan’s deal, sign Karlsson long-term and then continue to add to a Stanley Cup- finalist roster in free agency.

The asking price from Ottawa’s side was believed to include defenceman Shea Theodore, picks and prospects. Theodore, 22, stood out in the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final against Washington but really struggled in the second half of the series.

Why didn’t a deal get done in February?

"Erik is a franchise player,” Dorion said on Feb. 26. “We felt that there was no franchise deal out there that could satisfy us to make the best hockey deal.”

The name rumoured to grind everything to a halt was prospect Cody Glass, the 19-year-old centre who had a 102-point season with the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks after he became Vegas’ first-ever draft pick at No. 6 overall last June.

Are the Golden Knights now willing to part with Glass or another high-end prospect? Have the Senators softened their ask now that Karlsson has more leverage?

Get your popcorn ready. Other teams are expected to re-join the fun now.

If the two-time Norris Trophy-winning Karlsson is on the move he would represent the most impactful player traded in his prime since Jaromir Jagr back in 2001.

https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-sens-focus...-1.1117203
Thanks given by:
Glass, Theodore and a 1st rounder ought to be the starting price if Ottawa is giving up Karlsson imo. Not that i want him gone at all lol
Thanks given by:
Minto released a $200M IPO today and I believe sold 50% of Minto Place downtown recently. They are raising cash for something...hopefully to buy the Sens.

I also heard a rumour again, from 2 completely different sources tied to the construction industry in town now, that Devcore Group (the losing LeBreton bid) has been snatching up Melnyks debt in an attempt to force him to sell. Where there’s smoke there’s fire hopefully.

I’m guessing the end is near for the Euge and his ownership of the team. I don’t believe Minto is part of the Devcore group, so seems their may be multiple suitors at play here, which is a good thing.
Thanks given by:
https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/op...ators.html

After reading so many articles about the organization knowing of Hoffs gf being so awful since the season ended, it makes me lose faith in management. I thought Dorion made the best of a crappy situation, but if they're trying to keep EK, they should've moved him asap and not even have to let Mrs.Karlsson file any legal documents. (Sigh) I haven't had such little faith in managmmana since after the Spezza return.
Thanks given by: