Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offseason Thread
How can Murray ask for more from Oakland when he already received his signing bonus? Oh ya, Scott Boras is his agent. I remember that weasel pulling something similar when the Bucs drafted Pedro Alvarez

IF he decides on baseball he'll be riding buses & staying in budget motels making peanuts while he plays 2 - 3 years in the majors. Then be making league minimum for 3 years before he's in line for a big arbitration payday IF he becomes a big leaguer at all.
Thanks given by:
He can ask for it because he has leverage. He is almost certainly going to be offered at least 3 times that amount (guaranteed) from an NFL team and a 4 year NFL contract. If they A's want him, they are going to have to make a more competitive offer. If not he will give the money back and go play football.

The A's and every other team knew the risk going in. Which is why every one was shocked when they took him 9th overall. Most places were not willing to risk a high pick on a guy they knew might not ever play baseball (MLB had him as the 36th pick, many teams did not even have him on their draft boards). The A's took a risk knowing it was a risk and now that risk is reality.

This is on them, not Murray.

EDIT: I also have no idea what you are talking about with Alvarez. The issue with Alvarez was that the Union filed a greivence against MLB because Alvarez's deal was just a verbal deal at the time of the signing deadline and not an actual signed deal (they had agreed to a deal in principle after the draft but Alvarez never actually signed it), which was against the CBA. Basically 15 minutes before the deadline the Pirates told MLB they had signed him when they really hadnt. They eventually renegotiated the deal (a MLB deal for the same amount) and he signed with them. Its literally nothing like this or has much to do with Boras. 

If anything it was the Pirates and MLB acting shady by circumventing the rules to "sign" a pick. The MLBPA called bullshit on it and they had to re-negotiate.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 08:40 PM)Andrew Wrote: Technically the A's could put him on the 40 man and give him a MLB contract.....I think.

But then you are risking a hell of a lot more than $4 million (and a spot on the 40 man) on a guy who may never be that good.

Ken Rosenthanl to the rescue

So they can do it. But the second sentance is still the issue.
Thanks given by:
Murray is 5'9" - 5'10"?

How many sub 6' QB's are there in the NFL, let alone successful ones?

Russel Wilson. I mean if is all this kid is about is the $ than sure he could make $20 - $30 million if he was a back up QB for 7 - 8 seasons, but the odds of that are almost nill

I think Boras is just trying to call Oakland's bluff & circumvent the rules. Big surprise

Hopefully Oakland doesn't fall for it

Re: Alvarez & the Bucs signing fiasco. Are we really doing this?

I remember it clearly because i was on pins & needles watching it play out.

Boras was too busy with Eric Hosmer's deal to work on Alvarez's

Alvarez verbally agreed to a deal but it was 45 minutes late. Boras knew this because he's the one who got the union involved, thus making himself an accomplice.
He wanted $7 million, but only got $6 million. Big blow to egomaniac Boras ego. If you intentionally break the deadline & sign for $6 million, don't cry foul after the fact because you think your client is undervalued & THEN bring up a rules violation.

The Bucs are a complete shit show of an organization, no doubt about that. But in this instance, Boras was every bit as culpable, if not more
Thanks given by:
HOF question: if Edgar Martinez makes it in, then Larry Walker should be a shoe in, no? like what am i missing here?

Edgar Martinez:

.312/.418/.515, 308 HR's, 1261 RBI in 2055 games. ZERO gold gloves. Primarily played as a DH.

Larry Walker:

.313/.400/.565, 383 HR's, 1311 RBI in 1988 games. SEVEN gold gloves.

Thanks given by: shadylane , shadylane
Reports that the White Sox have offered Machado an 8 year $250 million contract.

Yikes!
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 09:50 PM)CTS Wrote: Murray is 5'9" -  5'10"?

How many sub 6' QB's are there in the NFL,  let alone successful ones?  

Mayfield is barely 6' and he seems to be doing alright (and was the first pick). Russell Wilson is the same height as Murray. Oh and some guy named Drew Brees. Might have to wait and see on him though.

Before Cal Ripken there were no tall/big SS's. Now the avg SS is 6'2" and most of the top guys are above that. 

Things change.
Thanks given by: thebest41587 , thebest41587
175 balllots (42.5%)

Rivera 100%
Halladay 94.3%
E. Martinez 90.3%
Mussina 81.7%

Schilling 74.3%
Clemens 73.1%
Bonds 72.6%
Walker 66.3%

Vizquel 36.0%
McGriff 36.0%
M. Ramirez 25.7%
Rolen 20.6%
Helton 20.0%
Wagner 15.4%
Kent 14.3%
Sosa 13.7%
Sheffield 13.1%
An. Jones 8.0%
Pettitte 6.9%

M.Young 1.7%%
Berkman 1.1%
Oswalt 1.1%

Also noticed that Miguel Tejada has appeared on at least 1 ballot as well.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-14, 01:01 AM)Canuxxx Wrote: HOF question: if Edgar Martinez makes it in, then Larry Walker should be a shoe in, no? like what am i missing here?

Edgar Martinez:

.312/.418/.515, 308 HR's, 1261 RBI in 2055 games. ZERO gold gloves. Primarily played as a DH.

Larry Walker:

It's really quite ridiculous how much Larry Walker gets penalized by voters for playing at Coors Field. The guy should be in. Period.
Thanks given by:
(11 hours ago)shadylane Wrote:
(2019-01-14, 01:01 AM)Canuxxx Wrote: HOF question: if Edgar Martinez makes it in, then Larry Walker should be a shoe in, no? like what am i missing here?

Edgar Martinez:

Larry Walker:

It's really quite ridiculous how much Larry Walker gets penalized by voters for playing at Coors Field. The guy should be in. Period.

I don't know about that. You look at his stats & they exploded as soon as he left Montreal for Denver. Then he was injured a fair bit. He goes to St. Louis & his stats fall back in line with what he put up as an Expo.

If Walker is a HOF'er, than what about Galarraga, Helton & others with inflated mile high stats?
Thanks given by:
In fairness, he went to St Louis when he was 37 and his numbers were in decline before he went there and he had two top-11 MVP seasons in Montreal. He only had three such seasons in Colorado haha. But yes, his power numbers jumped up.
Thanks given by:
(1 hour ago)CTS Wrote:
(11 hours ago)shadylane Wrote:

Edgar Martinez:

Larry Walker:

I don't know about that.  You look at his stats & they exploded as soon as he left Montreal for Denver.   Then he was injured a fair bit.   He goes to St. Louis & his stats fall back in line with what he put up as an Expo.

If Walker is a HOF'er,  than what about Galarraga,  Helton & others with inflated mile high stats?

No they didn't. It's only in his 3rd season in Colorado that he improved on his .322 average in his final season with Montreal.

Walker's road stats were impressive too - he wasn't just a product of Coors field.

He was a great fielder, great baserunner, MVP and has a career WAR over 70.

For me he has always unquestionably been a Hall of Fame player.
Thanks given by: