Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Oilers News and Notes
I assume Talbot starts tonight and Koskinen tomorrow.

I doubt Jones makes it in to the lineup for tonight but who knows.

Who comes out for Caggiula - one of the Rattie, Spooner or Zykov but does Caggiula simply take the spot on the line or does coach make some more changes?
Thanks given by:
Likely no Russell (or Jones) tonight:

Thanks given by:
Yowsers! This might be a scheduled loss
Thanks given by:
As anticipated, Talbot starts tonight and Koskinen tomorrow.

Makes total sense to me given Mikko was showing some signs of fatigue last game and has been so dominant at home.

Will need a solid game from Cam.

Hitch will be relying on those top two pairs.

I’m sure Nurse and Larsson will both approach 30 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I didn't even notice that Rieder is in the lineup.

They will have to get someone off the roster in order to activate him.

Only players that don't require waivers are Gravel (already cleared), Jones and Puljujarvi.

They would also place a player on non-roster waivers - one would think Garrison would be the guy but he's slated to play - One of Rattie or Zykov may be waived shortly.
Thanks given by:
Russell is also out for tomorrow night's game.

I had a feeling about this - he left the game for quite a while in Colorado and didn't play very much when he came back.
Thanks given by:
Capfriendly is reporting that Kris Russell is on IR - there is the roster spot for Rieder's activation.

Shit, that means Russell is gone until the game next Tuesday at least - actually, I'm not quite sure he'd be eligible for Tuesday's game (not sure if the retroactive IR placement can lead to activation on game-day one week from the injury date or if it is the next day). He may be gone until next Saturday's game (at the earliest).
Thanks given by:
Holy Jesus this is getting worse by the hour! Back to the DOD days where we would lose a player to IR every 2nd or 3rd game
Thanks given by:
Rumour mill so, do not shoot me!!!

Talk of a trade with Boston...

Lucic for Backes. Sheds one year of Lucic's contract... money is the same or close.

Do you make this trade. Backes is 34 and signed to 2021, I believe.
A leader without followers is just a person taking a walk...
Thanks given by:
I'd trade Lucic for any return at this point
Thanks given by:
The Lucic for Backes has been bandied about for a while - this past summer for sure.

I think Backes might even be worse than Lucic as the offence is comparable but I don't think Backes brings the other elements that Lucic does (and he does bring other elements) and he might even be slower. At his age of 34, he doesn't bring the nastiness that he once did.

Of course, the benefit of the trade would be one year less of term and his NMC falls away after this season so he won't need to take up a protected spot at the draft.

He will have a 15 team NTC through the end his contract after his NMC falls away July 1 2019.

His contract also has signing bonuses so the buyout isn't really much better than Lucic's.
Thanks given by:
Looch for Backes? No way I'd do that

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Tommorow night’s game could be interesting.

Thanks given by:
I’m only going to paste a few of the questions/quotes but Daniel Nugent Bowman of The Athletic sat down with Nicholson.

If we believe Nicholson, while Katz has to sign off on stuff (he pays), Chiarelli has 100% authority on decisions (no OBC) and Chiarelli’s job is safe if they make the playoffs.
—————————

You mentioned your history with Ken. What was your role in the hire?

It’s Peter’s call. Peter has to come to myself on those types of decisions. We talk a lot about it. I talk to Daryl Katz to get approval to do it. Daryl has final approval. Daryl, since I’ve been here, has always given it back to myself. Peter certainly makes that call. Peter was really clear right from the start that Hitch was the guy he wanted and was able to get him.

———————

This team is doing really well as of late. If the Oilers do make the playoffs, do you see both Ken Hitchcock and Peter Chiarelli being back with this team to lead it?

Hopefully we’re there. Hopefully we’re in the playoffs. [Laughs] We’ll talk about all that at the end of the year. Hitch feels very comfortable with that. Peter’s doing a good job for us.

——————-

Can you say, though, that Peter’s job would be safe if the team makes the playoffs?

Yeah. There’s no question. I think there’s a lot of things that Peter hasn’t gotten credit for. He’s really started to build. You’re starting to see some of them come up now with the [Caleb] Joneses and the [Evan] Bouchards. We have a lot of assets, which this organization hadn’t had for a while. Peter deserves a lot of credit for that.

Thanks given by:
I don't think Chiarelli's job should be secure even if we win the Cup!    The Caps let Trotz walk after all

When Hitch was first hired,  the talking heads were saying the Oil would need to win a round or 2 in order for Chiarelli to be retained,  according to 'inside sources'
Thanks given by:
The Oil scoring more goals not off of the rush is really a big difference to me.
Thanks given by:
(Today, 12:35 AM)CTS Wrote: I don't think Chiarelli's job should be secure even if we win the Cup!    The Caps let Trotz walk after all

When Hitch was first hired,  the talking heads were saying the Oil would need to win a round or 2 in order for Chiarelli to be retained,  according to 'inside sources'

Trotz left over money not because the team/organization didn't want him back.

If the Oilers win the cup and you still want managerial changes then I got to say there is absolutely nothing that will make you happy as it relates to the team. That is the goal, to win the Stanley Cup.
Thanks given by:
I heard Trotz and the GM didn’t get along and the Caps lowballed him
Thanks given by:
(4 hours ago)ZappaScores Wrote: I heard Trotz and the GM didn’t get along and the Caps lowballed him

That is EXACTLY what happened Zappa...

Trots was never going back there, win or lose.
x6
Thanks given by:
Credit Lowetide:

Connor McDavid is now tied for No. 2 in NHL scoring (32, 19-29-48).
Leon Draisaitl is now tied for No. 7 in NHL scoring (33, 16-26-42).
Alex Chiasson is now tied for No. 28 in goals (14).
Darnell Nurse is now tied for No. 20 among blue in even-strength points (13)
Mikko Koskinen’s .930 save percentage is No. 2 in the NHL.
Thanks given by: