Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oilers Off Season Moves and Improvements
(2017-05-25, 09:45 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I wonder if Jan Rutta can fill the 2RD/3RD hole next year?

Really not a tonne of info out there about him - strong WHC, great boxcars in the Czech league.  Can wheel apparently.

Czech league is BAD!

No harm in bringing him in for sure, But I do not think they are expecting him top be a 3/4 D man in the NHL.  Hey if he does bonus and yes a 5/6 great.  Also maybe the PP.

I seriously doubt PC is expecting this guy ( If they get him) to fill that or part of that 3/4 gap nor should he. He should be grabbing at least 1 dman that is a sure thing IMO. Russell or someone in a trade.  That UFA market stinks this year.

But bonus if the guy comes here and is a legite stud. Who thought Benning would make the team last year as a #7 to start and then move to a 5/6 and fill in very well on the 3/4 at times.  Not me.

Lets just get him to sign and go from there. It is nice he is a Rightey!
Thanks given by:
They need 1 d-man for the 2nd pairing - Russell or someone else (equal or better).

They still just need one even with the Sekera injury - Sekera will be back and just need to weather the storm for a few months without him.
Thanks given by:
I wish I knew someone in the Lost Wages Knights infrastructure... Sad

I would luv to know what kind of back door deals have already been consummated.

People must be in serious lock down mode to keep the insiders from getting leaked info.

These next 7 weeks or so are going to be unprecedented for puck fans... Happy
x6
Thanks given by:
TJ Oshie has all but finalized a deal to remain in Washington as per the interwebs
Thanks given by:
There was never ever a realistic chance that we were going to sign Oshie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 06:50 AM)That\s not truePouzar Wrote: There was never ever a realistic chance that we were going to sign Oshie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not true.   Never say never. I agree it was probably unrealistic. But u get rid oh Nuge, eberle and Poo and 20 mill in trades and bring in Faulk, Eakin and bring back 8 mill you would have had 12 mill which easily would have fit a 6  mill for Oshie as well Drai's.  

He would have been exactly what this team needed on that 1st rw far and above anything we have now.

But you are probably right that he may not even wanted to come here
Thanks given by:
As I said, not a realistic chance that he was coming here.

Also, lets not forget that Oshie is three years older than Eberle, throughout their careers, has been less productive than Eberle, and would very likely not sign a contract that would have any cap savings over Eberle's current contract (and would likely carry a longer term).

Also, remember how Eberle is just not a playoff performer, as "proven" this year? Well Oshie struggled to produce in his first 3 playoff years.
Thanks given by:
Eberle at this point of his career is not nor should be used in the same breath as Oshie 
Oshie is trending up the last 2 years and Eberle down
Oshie 59 g. 107 pts +44. Playoffs 10g. 22 points.  And a huge upgrade on a 2 way game. HUGE
EB
Eberle 45g 98 pts _ 9. Playoffs 2 points

Although it is not happening  and probably wouldn't have anyways I can just about guarantee that any management team would take Oshie and his game over Eberle in a heartbeat for the next 4 years. EASY!!!!!
Thanks given by:
(2017-05-26, 08:16 AM)maclintock Wrote:
(2017-05-25, 09:45 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I wonder if Jan Rutta can fill the 2RD/3RD hole next year?

Really not a tonne of info out there about him - strong WHC, great boxcars in the Czech league.  Can wheel apparently.

Czech league is BAD!

How can you consider a league that produced the greatest Oiler of all time, Jiri Dopita, as bad?
Thanks given by:
(Yesterday, 10:45 AM)maclintock Wrote: Eberle at this point of his career is not nor should be used in the same breath as Oshie 
Oshie 59 g. 107 pts +44. Playoffs 10g. 22 points.  And a huge upgrade on a 2 way game. HUGE
EB

Although it is not happening  and probably wouldn't have anyways I can just about guarantee that any management team would take Oshie and his game over Eberle in a heartbeat for the next 4 years. EASY!!!!!

At the same point in Eberle's career, Oshie had broken 20 goals once, 55 points once, had amassed 9 points in 30 playoff games, and had never surpassed Eberle in points.

St. Louis seemed to have moved on from Oshie and traded him for a soon to be UFA (who subsequently bolted). St. Louis, at this point in time, has nothing to show for the trade except an AHL goalie with a career .829 save percentage in the NHL and third round pick they traded away. Meanwhile, Oshie is a substantial part of the Capitals team.

If anything, TJ Oshie demonstrates the mistake of trading way a good player while neglecting long term asset management.
Thanks given by:
(11 hours ago)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:45 AM)maclintock Wrote: Eberle at this point of his career is not nor should be used in the same breath as Oshie 
EB

At the same point in Eberle's career, Oshie had broken 20 goals once, 55 points once, had amassed 9 points in 30 playoff games, and had never surpassed Eberle in points.

St. Louis seemed to have moved on from Oshie and traded him for a soon to be UFA (who subsequently bolted). St. Louis, at this point in time, has nothing to show for the trade except an AHL goalie with a career .829 save percentage in the NHL and third round pick they traded away. Meanwhile, Oshie is a substantial part of the Capitals team.

If anything, TJ Oshie demonstrates the mistake of trading way a good player while neglecting long term asset management.
Your man love for Eberle is a bit disgusting really. Thus I said Oshie upswing and Eberle's decline. 
Oshie has been a stud the last 2 years and is improving.  Eberle not!   Oshie is a great 2 way player now Eberle not even close.  So u are telling me if you could have either player right now u would take Eberle?
Thanks given by:
Its "interesting" - anything other than a pure bash of Eberle means "man love" just like anything other than a pure praise of Russell means "hate".

Maybe some posters are able to discuss players with realism as opposed to being on on extreme or the other.

Great year for Oshie - his 23.1% shooting percentage almost exactly 10% higher than his career average, likely had a large effect and his numbers are likely to come down to his career norm which are below that of Jordan Eberle - over their careers.

Posters will, I"m sure, just discount the shooting percentage aberration as a non-factor even though its been fairly proven over the years.
Thanks given by:
Oshie is a better player than Eb's is even playing in his underwear with a killer dose of mono & food poisoning... Happy

But Eb's shooting % is on it's way up... The eye test tells us this...

39 goals next season... Then 1 in 24 playoff games.

A 40 goal season for the little Roughrider fan is worth the $$$.
x6
Thanks given by:
(10 hours ago)maclintock Wrote:
(11 hours ago)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
EB

Your man love for Eberle is a bit disgusting really. Thus I said Oshie upswing and Eberle's decline. 
Oshie has been a stud the last 2 years and is improving.  Eberle not!   Oshie is a great 2 way player now Eberle not even close.  So u are telling me if you could have either player right now u would take Eberle?

LOL great rebuttal. 

All I did was present statistics of their careers. If all you can say to that is I have 'man love', well, it speaks to how persuasive your argument is.

At roughly Eberle's stage of his career, Oshie got traded for a bunch of short term assets. Who would you say won the trade? St . Louis or Washington? 

By your statements, you believe Washington won the trade. Any scenario involving the dumping of Eberle's contract because he is regressing is going to place Edmonton in the same position as St. Louis, losing a trade to drop a playoff choker.

Also of note: the team that traded Oshie (St Louis) is the same team some experts believe should make a pitch for Eberle. Hmmmm.
Thanks given by:
(10 hours ago)Pouzar Wrote: Its "interesting" - anything other than a pure bash of Eberle means "man love" just like anything other than a pure praise of Russell means "hate".

Maybe some posters are able to discuss players with realism as opposed to being on on extreme or the other.

Great year for Oshie - his 23.1% shooting percentage almost exactly 10% higher than his career average, likely had a large effect and his numbers are likely to come down to his career norm which are below that of Jordan Eberle - over their careers.

Posters will, I"m sure, just discount the shooting percentage aberration as a non-factor even though its been fairly proven over the years.

Your man love is sickening, Pouz!
Thanks given by:
I just want the best players possible, that make sense for capwise going forward, so if PC can get creative this summer and make some moves that involve the likes of Eberle and RNH, then that's great.  However, as much as I am not in love with Eberle as a player, I understand it's very likely he'll be here at the beginning of next season, so let's just hope he rebounds with a 30 goal season... and a better playoff, should we make that far again.

I still get pissed when I think of how terrible he was in the playoffs...
Thanks given by:
I don't expect any big changes this off season.  Just some tinkering.  Eberle & Nuge will likely both be back
Thanks given by:
(6 hours ago)CTS Wrote: I don't expect any big changes this off season.  Just some tinkering.  Eberle & Nuge will likely both be back

Ebs for Kovy or Ebs for Pulock!
Connor McDavid: "I don't know why anyone would be disappointed going to the Edmonton Oilers." 
Thanks given by:
So Ebs value is either:

1) an elite scoring winger who very well could score 40 goals next year

or

2) a promising d-man that has yet to prove his is an every day NHLer and played 1 NHL game last year
Thanks given by: