Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oilers Off Season Moves and Improvements
I can't imagine Jagr coming to Edmonton. I think he'd rather go back home and play for his own team than agree to come to an NHL camp on a tryout basis.
Thanks given by:
No, but he might sign if he hasn't played yet, and the Oilers feel JP isn't ready after camp. Of the three veterans, I think Jagr would be the best fit. Iginla, or Doan, would be a much better story should the Oilers make it to a SCF with them on the team.
"Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost!"
Thanks given by:
I'd still feel better if Chia were to bring in a Veteran #4 d-man on a short term contract, to bump Russell down. I'd rather see help for the D than another forward.

But really, at this point, the Oilers will be icing an excellent team even if there are no changes. Chia can always let them play, and keep his powder dry for a big deadline acquisition instead.
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-17, 11:37 AM)HockeyHippy Wrote: I'd still feel better if Chia were to bring in a Veteran #4 d-man on a short term contract, to bump Russell down. I'd rather see help for the D than another forward.

But really, at this point, the Oilers will be icing an excellent team even if there are no changes. Chia can always let them play, and keep his powder dry for a big deadline acquisition instead.

I agree and that d-man's name is Cody Franson.

With that said, I don't really see any scenario where Russell is bumped down - we know with certainty that McLellan likes and trusts Russell so, barring an visible regression in play, I don't imagine he'll see anything less than 2nd pairing even strength minutes.

I'm hoping that Benning plays so well that they run Nurse/Russell as the 3rd pair when Sekera returns - don't see it though as per above.
Thanks given by:
I wonder what the story is on Franson - he's not an incredible player, but it always seems that he gets signed late to a less than great deal. Inflated self-worth? Terrible agent?

I think I still underestimate Benning's ceiling, and I'm not the only one. I think my expectations of him were so low initially that I still haven't re-calibrated them. Given his performance in his rookie season, it's probably not unreasonable to imagine that he could be a pretty good 2nd pairing d-man with an excellent transition game this year.
Thanks given by:
More likely Franson would be the 3rd RHD, with PP timeon the 2nd unit, to ease Benning into more responsibility. Franson's footspeed is not much better than Fayne's, but he does move the puck better.
Thanks given by:
Now with Zajac out 4-6 months, do the Devils have interest in a centre? RNH? RNH and Hall back together?
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
I can't fathom Nuge being moved until after this season is over.
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-17, 03:53 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I can't fathom Nuge being moved until after this season is over.

Good luck getting anything back of significant next summer when every GM knows that GM PC needs to shed salary.

RNH for Hall?
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
(2017-08-17, 06:52 PM)OilWings Wrote:
(2017-08-17, 03:53 PM)Pouzar Wrote: I can't fathom Nuge being moved until after this season is over.

Good luck getting anything back of significant next summer when every GM knows that GM PC needs to shed salary.

RNH for Hall?

If Nuge is traded the primary reason is cap relief and the likely return are draft picks - picks that we may need to replenish after the trade deadline.

Given the primary reason of the trade, why would we downgrade the roster now, in a "go for it" year?
Thanks given by:
Aye - I think folks need to change their expectations. The Oilers window has opened - it's time to win.

Sure, that might mean that they keep a guy like RNH longer than they would if they wanted to maximize his trade value. But so long as he helps the Oilers win, he's doing his job.

The time to win is now.
Thanks given by:
The Oilers should have enough suitors for a 25 year old pivot, who has put up the 33rd most points by a centre, since he came into the league. Solid, but not impeccable two-way play and under control for 3 more seasons after this.

Top 2 centres can be just as valuable as a top 4 RHD, for those that need1, or even 2.

Maybe there is a trade at the deadline involving RNH, if Strome can handle the 3rd line centre spot. Too many unknowns about how this roster will come together to really make a move now, without knowing exactly what to improve.

Now, if a team comes asking about RNH and offering up a mid-20s RHD, who can at least play on the 2nd PP unit, then maybe trade talks become a little more real.
Thanks given by:
Toninato signed with the Avs. Cap Friendly has him getting the max for a two year ELC. No performance bonuses noted, though.
Thanks given by:
I really hope the value for RNH is not another unperforming player and 3rd round pick next summer.
Thanks given by:
I would expect the return for Nuge next offseason is going to be picks, potentially picks and a prospect.

If Nuge is traded, the primary reason will be cap relief and the cap situation is (likely) so dire starting next year that we likely can't take back any material salary in a trade, not even $2M.

I say "likely" because it depends on the next contracts for all the RFAs - Benning, Nurse, Slep, Caggulia, Strome - I'm assuming some progression. If one blows up with a huge year it will be great but more problematic for the cap.

At the end of the day, getting picks back for Nuge might actually be a very good think - next year is a great draft apparently and we are likely to be buyers at the deadline and trading picks. Given we need to good pipeline of cheap youth to replace those that price themselves out of Edmonton, using Nuge to replenish the picks makes sense.

I love Nuge and this is going to hurt big time but its the reality of our situation.
Thanks given by:
I am excited to see Nuge play with different players. I have a feeling he is going to have a great season.
Thanks given by:
Although I said it last year, I agree, I think Nuge will have a bounce-back season.

I know many see him/want him playing wing this year but I see him mostly at center - he's just better at most center aspects than Stome (although we will see Strome play some C).

I don't want to trade Nuge, not even a little bit, especially since we won't be getting full value back for him but its simply the reality of our cap structure.
Thanks given by: