Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oilers Off Season Moves and Improvements
$3.3 for 4yrs...

If he wants to be an Oiler, & be Connor's wingman, the knife has to cut on both sides.

He gets term, & the Club gets Cap relief. That's how it works.

But the Oil need to get him to sign it like yesterday. Every game he plays with #97 is going to effect the outcome.

Get it done NOW...
x6
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-26, 08:59 PM)OilWings Wrote:
(2017-09-26, 08:56 PM)CTS Wrote: Who's more valuable to the team though? Russell or Maroon?

I'm leaning towards Russell. Maroon is easier to replace & I luv the Big Rig
Imho, Big Rig. A big pf that can fight and protect Connor is huge.

*Please excuse any typos or grammatical errors, as this message was typed on the go and likely from dictation

(2017-09-26, 09:01 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2017-09-26, 08:56 PM)CTS Wrote: Who's more valuable to the team though?  Russell or Maroon?

I'm leaning towards Russell.  Maroon is easier to replace & I luv the Big Rig

A huge, tough winger that has chemistry with McDavid and can put up 27 goals?  Those guys do not grow on trees, we're lucky to have him.  I would take Maroon over Russell, for sure.

Top 4 dmen don't grow on trees either. How long we been searching for at least 4 of those? I don't necessarily disagree. But not so sure it's cut and dried.
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-26, 11:43 PM)teamblue Wrote:
(2017-09-26, 08:59 PM)OilWings Wrote:
(2017-09-26, 08:56 PM)CTS Wrote: Who's more valuable to the team though?  Russell or Maroon?

Imho, Big Rig.  A big pf that can fight and protect Connor is huge.

*Please excuse any typos or grammatical errors, as this message was typed on the go and likely from dictation

(2017-09-26, 09:01 PM)Fritz Wrote:

A huge, tough winger that has chemistry with McDavid and can put up 27 goals?  Those guys do not grow on trees, we're lucky to have him.  I would take Maroon over Russell, for sure.

Top 4 dmen don't grow on trees either. How long we been searching for at least 4 of those? I don't necessarily disagree. But not so sure it's cut and dried.

If it was a RHD, then it would be Russel who is harder to replace, imo.  Finally the Oilers have some solid prospects on the blueline.  TBH, they might have the best group of defenceman ever 25 and under, in the history of the organization.
Connor McDavid is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed
Thanks given by:
From Friedman's 31 Thoughts.

8. In a similar vein, Edmonton and Patrick Maroon sure made it sound last week that there is mutual interest in getting something done. The term and cash won’t be as high as T.J. Oshie, but the philosophy could very well be. An extra year or two in exchange for a lower average annual value. Makes a lot of sense.
Connor McDavid is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed
Thanks given by:
Short and higer or longer and lower are the only two options.

If its longer than 3 years, it needs to come in around $3M/year for me to be happy but I don't think it will and I suspect I will be disappointed.

At the same time, in the same 30 thoughts, Friedman suggested we could see an $80M cap next season which would be helpful.

I don't think that should change the approach in negotiations at all though.
Thanks given by:
Luckily, we don't have Button as our GM.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/bu...r-1.448208
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-26, 11:10 PM)T.V. Wrote: $3.3 for 4yrs...

If he wants to be an Oiler, & be Connor's wingman, the knife has to cut on both sides.

He gets term, & the Club gets Cap relief. That's how it works.

But the Oil need to get him to sign it like yesterday. Every game he plays with #97 is going to effect the outcome.

Get it done NOW...

Agreed although Id stretch to 5 if it were under $3.5.

Do you think a NMC would be part of a deal like that? if you were Maroon and taking a discount would you want that and would it be a deal breaker do you think?

Thanks given by:
I'm not sure O4E...

But IMO, I think if they give him term, then he won't play the NMC card very hard... He gets the security of the deal no matter where he plays, so maybe he asks for it in the 1st few years, but IMO, I don't think the P.O.H.O will give him 1 for the entire duration of the deal.

It's a really good question & talking point...

What do you think..?
x6
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-28, 09:18 PM)T.V. Wrote: I'm not sure O4E...

But IMO, I think if they give him term, then he won't play the NMC card very hard... He gets the security of the deal no matter where he plays, so maybe he asks for it in the 1st few years, but IMO, I don't think the P.O.H.O will give him 1 for the entire duration of the deal.

It's a really good question & talking point...

What do you think..?

I think taking less would require a NMC from Marion’s camp. Maybe not a full, but certainly a 5 team list or something like that. If I was representing him I’d be set on that being included simply because if he didn’t perform or a great trade came along that PC liked, I wouldn’t want my player to be moved to a non contending team on a bargain contract. The only reason I’d take less would be to be able to be on a contending team, riding shot gun with McSaviorFilthyDangles .

That said, the middle would probably land on a full NMC in the first couple of years and a limited one in the final half of the deal.

Again- this is all ‘what I would be bargaining for if I were his rep’

Thanks given by:
In my opinion, is Maroon gets any sort of trade protection, there must be a material give on term or AAV from him.

He is the definition of a secondary player and we cannot keep giving trade protection to these types of players unless there is a material give from them somewhere else. The Russell NMC still boggles my mind as there was no give in term or AAV.

Moreso, with the reasonable possibility of further expansion, I'm loathe to give him a NMC - a NTC would be much different.
Thanks given by:
Rishaug suggested a approximately $4.5 mil cap hit over 3 years. I think he said a $13 point something million contract.
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-29, 07:09 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: Rishaug suggested a approximately $4.5 mil cap hit over 3 years. I think he said a $13 point something million contract.

I would NOT be happy with something like that - not a year in advance of free agency.

I would only be OK with a contract like that if he has another year pushing 30G.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I agree.

The Oilers really need to start securing some value contracts. They have Klefbom and Larsson on good deals. They need to start accumulating more, though.

At $4.5, Maroon would be expendable to me. There may not be another guy available with his size, skill, and grit but they would be able to find another guy who could play with McDavid for less.
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-29, 07:21 PM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote: Yeah I agree.

The Oilers really need to start securing some value contracts. They have Klefbom and Larsson on good deals. They need to start accumulating more, though.

At $4.5, Maroon would be expendable to me. There may not be another guy available with his size, skill, and grit but they would be able to find another guy who could play with McDavid for less.

Like a 23yo Athanasiou?
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
Those Bears draft picks that Gretzky made sure do suck...

What a failure he was there... Why oh Why did the P.O.H.O ever hire him...?!? Happy

We are doomed...
x6
Thanks given by:
So, how did Eberle do tonight? Wink
Thanks given by: T.V.
Oilers have recalled Anton Slepyshev.

Condors don't play again until Thursday.

Not sure if they will play him Monday or if he's just up for his NHL salary (which he deserves) and to practice with the team before some more games in the AHL.
Thanks given by: