Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oilers had say in the Europe trip/ Schedule coming home
Eberle was traded cause he is a passenger, not a leader.
Connor McDavid is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 05:28 AM)beatcomber Wrote: Eberle was traded cause he is a passenger, not a leader.

And Hall was traded because this is Connor’s team. 

We trade all the leaders because this is Connors team, and we trade all the passengers because we need leaders. 

That is well thought out.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 06:16 AM)TheOilerFan83 Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 05:28 AM)beatcomber Wrote: Eberle was traded cause he is a passenger, not a leader.

We trade all the leaders because this is Connors team, and we trade all the passengers because we need leaders. 

The problem I have with the Hall and Eberle trades are they weren't made soon enough.  I like Hall, but losing Petry has had more impact than losing Hall ever will.
Connor McDavid is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed
Thanks given by:
Without losing Petry the organization likely wouldn't have been so desperate to acquire a right shot D-man and the Hall/Larsson trade never would have happened.

I'm still of the opinion that the trade was not about disposing of Hall but about acquiring a top 4 right shot D and Chiarelli got hard targeted on Larsson and, as he does, did what he had to do to "get his guy" which, in this case, was overpay with Hall.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 06:20 AM)beatcomber Wrote:

The problem I have with the Hall and Eberle trades are they weren't made soon enough.  I like Hall, but losing Petry has had more impact than losing Hall ever will.

Oh, come on now, you can't be serious, lol.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 06:20 AM)beatcomber Wrote:

Contact year Jeff Petry and Montreal Jeff Petry are not the same player. 

The Oilers don’t miss him. Montreal took a bullet for us.
Thanks given by:
Lol...
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
I miss all those playoff seasons we had with Petry

Oh wait.....

Seriously?   Petry?
Thanks given by:
Jeff Petry would make this team ALOT better.

He fills the biggest need on the team.
Thanks given by:
Imo, we need point producing dmen with the ability to move puck lighning quick and Petry is not 1 nor is Larrson, Klef, Russell, Benning, etc...
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 06:13 PM)OilWings Wrote: Imo, we need point producing dmen with the ability to move puck lighning quick and Petry is not 1 nor is Larrson, Klef, Russell, Benning, etc...

Petry would obviously make our D a lot better, but that's not saying much.  He'd be a hell of an upgrade on Benning, though.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 06:15 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2018-10-13, 06:13 PM)OilWings Wrote: Imo, we need point producing dmen with the ability to move puck lighning quick and Petry is not 1 nor is Larrson, Klef, Russell, Benning, etc...

Petry would obviously make our D a lot better, but that's not saying much.  He'd be a hell of an upgrade on Benning, though.

I totally agree.  We need 3 of those dmen and must be 25yrs or younger with 2 of them right handed.

Now it's up to our pro scouts and GM to identify them by this summer coming up.
Connor McDavid: "It's great to be a part of Edmonton for the next nine years.  Money aside, I just want to be here, play here, & win here."
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 05:47 PM)Pouzar Wrote: Jeff Petry would make this team ALOT better.

He fills the biggest need on the team.

Of course, he would make the D better, because our D is probably the weakest in the NHL right now.  Almost any NHL defenseman would be an improvement on this group.

Our biggest need as a team is a number one D unit, and Petry doesn't fit that bill.  We need guys that can push Larsson and Klefbom down to the 2nd pairing, which is obviously not going to happen any time soon.  But that's what the team needs.
Thanks given by:

Jeff Petry is a solid puck mover and he had 42 points last year.

With two years left on his contract, he'd be a fantastic stop-gap to Bouchard, Bear, Berglund, Perssson

Klefbom/Petry
Nurse/Larsson
Russell/Benning (Bear)

I'd prefer to have a guy like Petry as 2RD as opposed to 1RD, however, this is much better than our current set-up.

Just a stop gap given we have 4 legit right show D prospects, 3 of them playing pro hockey, and all of them with some offensive acumen.
Thanks given by:
(2018-10-13, 06:34 PM)Pouzar Wrote:

Jeff Petry is a solid puck mover and he had 42 points last year.

With two years left on his contract, he'd be a fantastic stop-gap to Bouchard, Bear, Berglund, Perssson

Klefbom/Petry
Nurse/Larsson
Russell/Benning (Bear)

Petry is a good puck mover but not a point producing dman.  He can't qb a pp and does not have a bomb.
Thanks given by:
42 points is upper echelon on this roster.

He had 6 goals and 23 points on the powerplay last year - 6.04 P/60 on the PP.

I think your assessment of Petry is not accurate, at least given his play last year.

The Oilers PP will be QB'd by McDavid/Nuge/Drai.

I know you love your "bombs" but there is a alot of date out there that show that shots from the point on the PP have become ineffective as compared to other structures.

-------------

The more I think about it, given his skill-set, age, 2-year term, etc., if we could fit it in to the cap, Petry is almost the perfect stop-gap for our top 4.
Thanks given by:
Hmmmm, i had no idea Petry produced 42 points last season. I guess he would fit in nicely here.

He'll be a valuable trade asset for the Habs this season or next
Thanks given by:
And we've done such a great job managing the salary cap that there's plenty of cap space to fit Petry in too...
Thanks given by:
Yup, $5.5M would require some serious assets going out - Petry is value for that cap hit though, or pretty close.

LTIR cushion would allow for it this year but, from accounts, Sekera is likely to be activated this year so that cushion is likely to go away. We would need to fit that contract in next year with no LTIR cushion as well.

Its not feasible given our cap but he would be a solid fit.
Thanks given by:
Beating Winnipeg on the road to go 2-2 on a real tough road trip to start the year is going to be awesome.

That will be a solid start to the year.
Thanks given by: