Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online dating
About a month ago I decided to take a stab at online dating.  Its been pretty fun so far.

One thing I'm struggling a bit with (and struggling is a far too strong of a word) is how when you meet someone cool, you still have x number of others knocking at your door, asking you to come out and play.  In the real world, you meet someone, and there's no extra noise, just you and her.

But with online dating, the very mechanism that brought me together with someone is the same mechanism that is most likely to break us apart as I keep getting paired up with others (and wow, the options are highly tantalizing lol).

Anyone else played around in the online dating world?  Its still pretty new to me, but it sure is keeping me busy.  And my mind off the weird breakup I went through in late feb.
Thanks given by:
Must be nice to get matches.

I am not a fan of online dating. It’s to superficial for my liking.
Thanks given by:
I can certainly see that side of things too.

But I will say the people I've met so far have all been pretty awesome and down to earth and head on straight. Could be an age related thing too.
Thanks given by:
Well, up until my girlfriend that I met online. I haven't exactly had a lot of luck. Last year I met two people and one did not feel the same way that I did and the other I'm not sure what happened but whatever.

I am so incredibly fortunate and blessed that I have found this woman. But the amount of work it took and the number of rejections and no's that I got in order to find her? I'm not totally sure if it was worth it though I am happy and it looks as though I won't have to ever look again!
cfl
Thanks given by:
one step at a time, cfl. Careful getting too far ahead of yourself
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-17, 11:39 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: one step at a time, cfl.  Careful getting too far ahead of yourself

I honestly appreciate your concern rye, i really do.

Without going into too much detail to avoid the perverted responses and questions from other members let's just say that we mutually are extremely happy and very much in love and have been talking about our future together.
cfl
Thanks given by:
Thats awesome
Thanks given by:
If I connect well with someone I don't find myself interested in other options. I suppose it depends on the person and what one is looking for?

With online dating you'll always have new and interesting options available.
Thanks given by:
Not a fan of it at all and actually prefer meeting people in random situations. Most of my dating experiences started online and some female friends have told me that the reason some girls won't take it as seriously as dudes is that they like the attention (most of the time it's the girls getting bombarded with msgs). I think that's an age thing for the 20s crowd. 

I've had a bit of success with Bumble, phone app where the girl has to msg first. It's better than most apps/sites in my experience but I'd rather just go to a rock show and ask a girl how she's able to headbang like a freak.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-17, 11:24 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: About a month ago I decided to take a stab at online dating.  Its been pretty fun so far.

One thing I'm struggling a bit with (and struggling is a far too strong of a word) is how when you meet someone cool, you still have x number of others knocking at your door, asking you to come out and play.  In the real world, you meet someone, and there's no extra noise, just you and her.

But with online dating, the very mechanism that brought me together with someone is the same mechanism that is most likely to break us apart as I keep getting paired up with others (and wow, the options are highly tantalizing lol).

Anyone else played around in the online dating world?  Its still pretty new to me, but it sure is keeping me busy.  And my mind off the weird breakup I went through in late feb.

I met my gf on a dating app and we've been together for a year. 

Based on what you've said, it sounds like you just want to date casually so nothing wrong with that at all if you're both on the same page.
Thanks given by:
Tinder is awesome. Or was. That’s how I met my spouse. It was perfect 4-5 years ago when everyone on there wanted the same thing - to hook up. Now it’s a mixed bag of people looking to find love, dates... Those people ruined it. Or so I hear.

Rye, meet as many people you want. Be respectful and if one develops into something, you can always step away.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-17, 11:24 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: About a month ago I decided to take a stab at online dating.  Its been pretty fun so far.

I tried it but my wife wasn't cool with it  Wink Icon_eek Grin
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-17, 12:52 PM)Stevie_Y Wrote:

Based on what you've said, it sounds like you just want to date casually so nothing wrong with that at all if you're both on the same page.

I met my wife at a bar ( i was the bartender) and we have been together 25 years this October..Fugg does that make me feel old saying that.
Thanks given by:
I want to try online dating but my wife doesn't approve.
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-17, 11:41 AM)cflisthebest Wrote:
(2019-04-17, 11:39 AM)RyeRocks Wrote: one step at a time, cfl.  Careful getting too far ahead of yourself

I honestly appreciate your concern rye, i really do.

Without going into too much detail to avoid the perverted responses and questions from other members let's just say that we mutually are extremely happy and very much in love and have been talking about our future together.

Thant is so nice to hear. All the best!
"Oh mischief, glorious mischief...I do so love it!"
Thanks given by:

Actually, I'm not looking for hookups and would be great to start up a relationship as good as the one that just ended.  Its the number of options coming at me that has my head spinning a bit.  In a good way.

Started with plenty of fish, but its 98% prostitutes lol.  Now I'm primarily using bumble and tinder, which as zappa aluded is no longer a hookup app.  Almost every girl on there says 'no hookups' in their profile.
Thanks given by:
I've never done online dating, as I met my wife in 2010 before things like Tinder and all that took off.

But my impression is you sort of get out of it what you want to get out of it. I've known plenty of people that use it to find tons of girls/guys, aren't looking for anything serious, and just generally have fun (which is fine, if that's what you're looking for). The ones who have found longer-term stable relationships though, at least to my knowledge, didn't play the field all that much.

Sort of a weird situation though. If you start dating a friend or acquaintance, there's more of a relationship there already and its easier to slide into a monogamous relationship pretty quickly. If it's somebody you JUST met though, it really takes a while for you develop any kind of rapport with them and determine if you even want a relationship with them. I found it weird starting to "date" girls that I met at a party, bar, etc back in the day for that reason, which I'd imagine is fairly similar to meeting someone online.
Thanks given by:
(2019-04-17, 02:28 PM)RyeRocks Wrote:

Actually, I'm not looking for hookups and would be great to start up a relationship as good as the one that just ended.  Its the number of options coming at me that has my head spinning a bit.  In a good way.

Started with plenty of fish, but its 98% prostitutes lol.  Now I'm primarily using bumble and tinder, which as zappa aluded is no longer a hookup app.  Almost every girl on there says 'no hookups' in their profile.

Those are probably your best hookup chances. Wink
Thanks given by:
Plenty of Fish is a complete cesspool.

FWIW I met my fiancee on Tinder. We were both straight forward from the beginning that we weren't looking for hook ups or anything.
Thanks given by:
avoid any that have signed up for the sites life time membership
"when the lights come on this whole place gets ugly"
Thanks given by: