Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Citizen: Three dead in double-decker bus crash at Westboro Station, with more than a dozen inj
What we know about the crash:
* A westbound double-decker bus travelling on the Transitway hit Westboro Station around 3:50 p.m. on Friday
* Three people are dead and more than a dozen are injured
* One witness said the bus hit a patch of ice before crashing into the side of the station
* A passenger on the bus said it was Route 269
* The Transitway has been closed from Scott Street and the Transitway, between Westboro and Tunney’s Pasture stations
* Authorities are asking people to stay away from the area
* Churchill Seniors Centre at 345 Richmond Rd. is open for those seeking information about family members involved in the crash

Three people are dead and more than a dozen are injured Friday afternoon after a westbound double-decker OC Transpo bus filled with commuters smashed into a bus shelter at Westboro Station, this newspaper has learned.
The extent of the injuries of those who survived is not yet known.
Photos taken by witnesses on the scene showed the front of the bus smashed in and victims lying on the ground. The crash happened at 3:50 p.m.
Multiple first responders rushed to the scene. Paramedics said the crash involved multiple injuries and some of the injuries were critical. One person was being treated at the scene.

[Image: img_5320.jpg?w=208&quality=80]
Scene of the OC Transpo bus crash on the Transitway at Westboro Station on Friday, Jan. 11, 2019.Submitted photo.

[Image: bus_crash_1205.jpg?w=302&quality=80]
First responders attend to victims of a horrific rush hour bus crash at the Westboro Station near Tunney's Pasture.Wayne Cuddington/ / Postmedia

Coun. Jeff Leiper said more than a dozen people have been taken to hospital.

First responders used a ladder to get to the damaged second floor of the bus.
A passenger on the bus said it was Route 269, heading to Kanata. The bus appeared to be three-quarters full.
The bus took off part of the shelter’s structure, said a paramedic. One witness described half of the second story of the bus being gone.
The Civic campus of The Ottawa Hospital declared a Code Orange at 4:37 p.m. The hospital would call a Code Orange in the event of a disaster in the community. The hospital said it received nine patients in critical condition.
The Queensway Carleton Hospital said it received one patient by ambulance and several walk-in patients from the crash.
Mayor Jim Watson asked residents to stay out of the area “in order to assist first responders with their work.” He said more information would be provided at a press conference at 7 p.m. Friday.
“I was shocked to hear of this horrific incident at Westboro Station,” said the mayor in a statement on Twitter. “My first thoughts are with those who have been injured and their families. I have asked staff to ensure all necessary resources are made available to assist them through this difficult time.”
As multiple ambulances, police and firefighters rushed to the scene, OC Transpo was asked to stop sending buses into the Transitway to make it easier for first responders to access victims.
One eyewitness who preferred not to be named described the bus driver hitting ice, which launched the bus into the side of the Westboro transit station, taking out a sign and then hitting an overhang on the side of the shelter.
The damage “goes back about 10 rows.”
The witness said the bus was full and the collision was “very serious.”
Several witnesses described a scene eerily similar to the 2013 bus-train crash that killed six people. Photos showed injured passengers lying on the ground being treated.
An eyewitness said she saw at least 15 emergency vehicle rushing down Scott Street toward the crash.
Another eyewitness said she heard sirens, and when she looked over the railing above the station she saw that “the whole top of the bus was totalled.”
The top section of the front of the double-decker bus was smashed in by the shelter’s overhang, all the way back to the stairs on the bus, so people were unable to get down from the top floor, she said.
“I heard a lot of people screaming, trying to get off the bus. They were stuck in there.” Emergency responders were smashing the windows, yelling, “glass.”
“I couldn’t believe it, me and my best friend fight to sit at the front of the bus. And now I’m just … terrified, it’s absolutely heartbreaking.”
She saw a man pulled from the bus, bandaged and strapped to a board. “He was in pretty bad condition, I don’t even know how to describe it, he had his head wrapped but there was a lot of blood.”
Buses were being rerouted from Westboro Station onto Richmond Road near McCrae. Scott Street is closed, as well as the Transitway between Westboro and Tunney’s Pasture stations.
The city said Churchill Seniors Centre at 345 Richmond Rd. is open to residents seeking information about family members involved in the collision.
More to come.
— With files from Elizabeth Payne, Shaamini Yogaretnam, Kelly Egan, Taylor Blewett, and Joanne Laucius

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new...police/amp
Thanks given by:
Sounded like it was a pretty full bus. Lots government workers take that bus from Tunneys to Kanata.
Thanks given by:
Hope everyone is okay and recovering as best as possible. Scary stuff to read. Station there is super busy and hope they can get everything back on track asap.
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Oh my...that's horrible!

That's usually where I like to sit on those buses...top...front...for the view.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 07:10 PM)bicboi Wrote: Hope everyone is okay and recovering as best as possible. Scary stuff to read. Station there is super busy and hope they can get everything back on track asap.

?????????
When sound found rhythm the dimensions of joy exploded.
Thanks given by:
This is awful
"I drink to make other people interesting"
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-11, 08:16 PM)leftcurve Wrote:
(2019-01-11, 07:10 PM)bicboi Wrote: Hope everyone is okay and recovering as best as possible. Scary stuff to read. Station there is super busy and hope they can get everything back on track asap.

?????????

I meant the people that are injured. Hope there's no more deaths and that the injuries aren't too bad
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Yikes I know exactly where that is and as Nuclear Sun said it's basically right where tons of government workers get on/off to Tunnneys Pasture which is basically an area with multiple government buildings and thousands of workers. The new east-west light rail is being built with that area in mind to transport people right to that spot.

Such a terrible accident, 3 deaths is sad , but hopefully the injuries are just injuries and no more deaths as those pictures are absolutely scary.
Thanks given by:
Just found out my buddies aunt died in that crash
Thanks given by:
That's too bad.

I hate to even think it, but have we heard from Hier? I know he's a bus user and lives in the west end...
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
I'm fine. Was on another bus that got stuck in the traffic jam following the crash. Thanks for thinking of me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 04:31 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Just found out my buddies aunt died in that crash

Sorry to hear man. That's awful. 

What a tragedy this whole thing is.
Thanks given by:
They're now saying that the bus driver may have been in a couple of other crashes previous to this one.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
I believe she was actually arrested after the crash. About 8 or so hours later she was released without conditions.
~ E. Hemmingway
Thanks given by:
Acoording to one article I read, she was arrested as she was not be cooperative with law enforcement.
Thanks given by:
Please God, let us pray this incident doesn't give the terrorists of the world any more ideas.
"To love life is to plant trees, under which shade you may never sit"
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 04:31 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Just found out my buddies aunt died in that crash

Oh no...that is terrible..so sorry for everyone.
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
(2019-01-13, 07:01 PM)Nuclearsun Wrote: Acoording to one article I read, she was arrested as she was not be cooperative with law enforcement.

I read somewhere that she fled the scene and then returned. Sounds like a good reason to arrest her, she has been released. My son works for OC..they tend to be pretty tight lipped about these things. The bus will be taken off site and won't go to the shop.
º¤ø ¸„ø¤GO HABS GOø¤º°¨¨¨°º¤
Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

Thanks given by:
CBC had an incredibly lazy story about part of the aftermath. I don't know how journalists like this have a job.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/do...-1.4976376

The headline concerns the safety of double-decker buses. As someone who rides one twice a day, this seems relevant! So I click.

There's barely a single piece of information in the entire thing. It tells me Brian and Sebastien, a couple average slobs like me, don't feel safe on them. Okay. Who gives a shit? What do the experts say?

The chief of police dismissed any questions about bus safety, insisting "Ottawa has a very safe transportation system." I dunno buddy. It feels like a bit more reassurance may be needed. 

NDP MP Joel Harden weighed in with his expert opinion. "They're safe because I ride them with my children sometimes." Thanks Joel.

There is a single relevant sentence in the article: "[After the fatal 2013 crash] The TSB found the design of the double-decker involved in the 2013 crash provided riders with little protection." Holy shit! That seems really important! Like way more important than what Brian and Sebastien think! Let's give no further details whatsoever because we're the CBC.

I for one will not be sitting near the front of the top deck on those things again. There had never been a single fatality to a passenger on OC Transpo before those double deckers were introduced, now there have been nine deaths in two crashes, both from head-on collisions where the front top deck was destroyed.
Thanks given by:
(2019-01-14, 10:03 AM)Hieremias Wrote: CBC had an incredibly lazy story about part of the aftermath. I don't know how journalists like this have a job.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/do...-1.4976376

The headline concerns the safety of double-decker buses. As someone who rides one twice a day, this seems relevant! So I click.

There's barely a single piece of information in the entire thing. It tells me Brian and Sebastien, a couple average slobs like me, don't feel safe on them. Okay. Who gives a shit? What do the experts say?

The chief of police dismissed any questions about bus safety, insisting "Ottawa has a very safe transportation system." I dunno buddy. It feels like a bit more reassurance may be needed. 

NDP MP Joel Harden weighed in with his expert opinion. "They're safe because I ride them with my children sometimes." Thanks Joel.

There is a single relevant sentence in the article: "[After the fatal 2013 crash] The TSB found the design of the double-decker involved in the 2013 crash provided riders with little protection." Holy shit! That seems really important! Like way more important than what Brian and Sebastien think! Let's give no further details whatsoever because we're the CBC.

I for one will not be sitting near the front of the top deck on those things again. There had never been a single fatality to a passenger on OC Transpo before those double deckers were introduced, now there have been nine deaths in two crashes, both from head-on collisions where the front top deck was destroyed.

I heard an interview this AM with a retired OC driver who said he refused to take the double-decker training at the time because he did not feel these buses are safe owing to their higher center of gravity. He says a friend of his was driving one and crossed on the Montreal Road overpass; says the wind caught the right side of the bus and it went right into the left lane and the driver could not do a thing about it. He says that design is great for low speed and crowded situations like downtown London, but not for higher speeds and wide-open spaces.

I would just caution to not be too hard on journalists. They are given almost no time to write their pieces. Used to work in media relations and I got to talk to many of them and I can't tell you how many were going batshiot crazy. Divorces, depression...nuts.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by: