Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Our Prospects Updates 2016
(2017-09-01, 06:12 PM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2017-09-01, 03:55 PM)tm123 Wrote:
(2017-09-01, 10:37 AM)habling Wrote: The Habs have invited 23 players to their rookie camp which starts Thursday, September 7th in Brossard.

Forwards and Defensemen:
Jeremiah Addison
Alexandre Alain
Daniel Audette
William Bitten
Jordan Boucher
Simon Bourque
Josh Brook
Thomas Ebbing
Cale Fleury
Maxime Fortier
Alexandre Goulet
Noah Juulsen
Stefan Leblanc  
James McEwan
Victor Mete
Niki Petti
Michael Pezzetta
Martin Reway
Jarret Tyszka
Antoine Waked
Scott Walford

Goalies:
Michael McNiven
Antoine Samuel

With Poehling, Ikonen unable to attend that is not an exciting list.
Nothing palpitating, but I would certainly have a closer look at the bolded names, for a variety of reasons.

I don't know what to think about these small forwards and Ds as prospects, talent or not:

Martin Reway (LW):

5'8", 170 lbs

William Bitten (RW):

5'10", 167 lbs

Victor Mete (LD):

5'10", 174 lbs

Has are always such a small team, overall... Sad

If I were a realistic betting fan I would guess/bet that the following of the bold DO NOT end up with a regular NHL career (maybe call up, a taste of Nhl then move on etc)
Addison
Bitten
Bourque
Waked

I would put money down on:
Juulsen
Mete
McNiven

I would wait a year before I would start putting money down either way on (i need to see them at least 1 post draft year Before I begin to form opinion):
Brook, Fleury, Walford

Reway....before he got sick I expected him to. Be definately has the drive. He seemed to have an attitude before, but hopefully age and sickness made him mature some. Hot to see where he is in his recovery. This camp is huge for him tobaee where he is at. I hope he makes Nhl even if not on Habs
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-03, 02:00 PM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: The problem with the 4th line thing is that they get too little TOI and play with non offensive players typically.

I don't buy that they are told NOT TO PLAY OFFENSIVE and to only check. They r told D first, and if they do that well then they should end up with the puck. If so playing vrs other teams weakest line up, a kid should do well if they have a O game and win the D battle and have the puck.

But they r nervous, they don't play thier game, they don't get enough TOI, and their linemates can't help too much on the O side of things. But I am sure all coaches would love to see a kid in 4th line with the puck, attacking and creating a scoring chance...it means they won the D battle for their shift.

Its not all that bad to start that way. Its too bad when they get no TOI or stay there too long and not at a sooner pt get to play with more O playera

I don't think they're told not to play offense that'd be silly but there's only so much a young player can do to create offense when playing with guys that are established 4th line guys with little offense to their game. A young guy from the AHL shouldn't be expected to make offensive stars out of 4th liners. Where we could stand to improve is if we have an injury in our top 6 forwards to call up a guy from the AHL and give him a shot in that role rather than bump up everyone playing that position one spot and fill the 4th line with a guy from the AHL. Nobody expects someone like Hudon or Scherbak to perfectly replace say Gallagher, Drouin or whoever if they get hurt but playing them in the role they fill at the AHL level would make for a smoother transition and do more for their development than having them work their way up from the 4th line.
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-03, 09:22 AM)GloryYrs70s Wrote: http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-best-far...7-ranking/

There is a reason thehockeywriters.com has the Habs farm ranked 28th out of 31 teams.  And two of the three teams behind them have better current assets.

How does a team drop 11 spots in one season when no one graduated? Dumb or flawed rankings. If we were #17 and then drop to 28? Is it because of this summers draft? As in we picked 4th from the bottom of the 1st round while almost every other team picked up at least one or two (1st and Maybe even 2nd round pick) that is better and/or equal to our 1st pick?

I don't think our picks are that bad when we see where we pick. A team that constantly missed the playoffs better have a much better prospect pool then us. The teams at bottom of this list are all the top playoff teams. I am not upset or disappointed to know we don't have a top prospect pool as we have made the playoff 8 of the last 10 yrs, plus we are constantly picking 25th or later. The 2 yrs we missed we picked up a blue chip. There is nothing more to expect.

To expect anything other is silly. Yes every other year there is 1, I repeat 1, kid picked late 1st round or in 2nd round that ends up being a top 6 player or a top 3 dman. Every few years There may be a late round pick who ends up being a top 6 player or a top 3 dman. Yes it happens. Extremely rare though. So to be upset that Mtl doesn't have one of them is foolish if u understand the odds and the fact that basically most of the other teams are in the same boat. It's not that every other team lands one of these except Mtl.

Right now we have no blue chip prospects due to where we draft

We have hopeful top 6, top 4 D in: Hudon, Sherbak, Juulsen, Mete

Yup a chance not a single one of them end up hitting top potential. They may all end up bottom 6 and depth dmen. Time will tell.

We have hopeful to make the Nhl in McC, Dlr, Lernout, Reway

Its not all gloom and doom. Especially when u consider, take Pleks away by seasons end, and we are an extremely young team with studs like Patches, Drouin, Chuck, Lehk up front. Yup our D is yuck today, well we are one stud away from going from yuck to nice!
Stud/Web
Alz/Petry

We have a good team with nice young pcs up front. From where we draft if we can graduate a few every year that's awesome and good drafting. Dont expect a star. I do see some top 6/top 4 talent. Its really all you should expect from where we draft.

Maybe that's the prob. Too many of us think too highly of our picks. There is usually a reason why someone is picked in 2nd round and not top 10. We need to stop thinking these kids will be stars just cause we draft them.
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-04, 08:57 AM)Rada Wrote: Addidson will be the best of the lot.

I'd be happy to have another good one.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-04, 08:57 AM)Rada Wrote: Addidson will be the best of the lot.

That would be a disaster for the Habs if true.  Not many forwards who can't crack a PPG in Canadian junior hockey amount to much.
Thanks given by:
Article with Reway after 1st day of rookie practice....

Now he wants to make up for lost time. Reway received the green light by Canadiens doctors to resume skating five weeks ago and was working out with a Slovak team before heading to camp.

On the first day, he didn't look up to full speed but said his fitness will come gradually. He's to take part in the main camp next week. It would be a longshot for him to make the NHL club this season, so he's expected to begin the season with team's AHL affiliate, which starting this season will be based nearby in Laval.

''I was surprised that my hands weren't as bad as I expected,'' he said. ''Obviously, the legs, the cardio, weren't that good, but that's understandable after a year of not playing.

''Now I think it's getting better every day that I'm on the ice. I believed all the time that I was going to come back. Sometimes in life, the things that happen to you, you can't change. You have to fight it. I'm really happy I came through. It's a good experience for me and I hope nobody's going to see the difference.''

Reway said no longer needs to take medication and is confident there should be no further problems with his heart.
Thanks given by:
Reway would be a Big (well kinda) boost in Laval.
Thanks given by:
Well a healthy Reway would have been great last year in the ahl. Have to think it will take some time to get back into shape after a year of no training
Thanks given by:
Watched most of the Habs rookie game against the Leafs. McNiven was good but the Leafs goals weren't great. Wouldn't say anyone really stood out. Audette maybe. We did a good job in transition to create scoring chances. Reway didn't do much but had some nice passes including setting up audette on the
PP. Always good to beat the Leafs. 5-2 final. Ebbing x 2, Audette, Bitten not sure who scored the other.
Thanks given by:
Shhhhh.....don't u know we have no future don't be spreading stories that we beat the bright superstars that are also know as Leaf rookies.

I must say I say the hilites on the news and I didn't recognize most of the names on the ice. Who is Ebbing?

I saw McN play in goal live for one Ohl game. He didn't look good in net, as in he was all over the place not a positional kid like Price, and every time a shot came u assumed it would go in. Yet somehow he would keep it out. And they easily won the game. This was prob 2-3 yrs ago so I have assumed he has settled in the crease and learned positional play too. But I am not surprise to hear he lets in meh goals, goals that he just saved many times before in the game. That's why I am shocked when ppl say he will be a nhl starter. Altho most say that due to Cherry's comments lol. And I am sure he is much better today and will get much better over the next 3-4 yrs (when I assume we will see him play his 1st nhl game). One ohl game doesn't make a career and I guess I need to see him play today so I can get that one game image out of my head
Thanks given by:
(2017-09-09, 09:31 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: Shhhhh.....don't u know we have no future don't be spreading stories that we beat the bright superstars that are also know as Leaf rookies.

I must say I say the hilites on the news and I didn't recognize most of the names on the ice. Who is Ebbing?

I saw McN play in goal live for one Ohl game. He didn't look good in net, as in he was all over the place not a positional kid like Price, and every time a shot came u assumed it would go in. Yet somehow he would keep it out. And they easily won the game. This was prob 2-3 yrs ago so I have assumed he has settled in the crease and learned positional play too. But I am not surprise to hear he lets in meh goals, goals that he just saved many times before in the game. That's why I am shocked when ppl say he will be a nhl starter. Altho most say that due to Cherry's comments lol. And I am sure he is much better today and will get much better over the next 3-4 yrs (when I assume we will see him play his 1st nhl game). One ohl game doesn't make a career and I guess I need to see him play today so I can get that one game image out of my head

I somehow doubt that any of Matthews, Marner, or Nylander were there but I didn't watch the game so I could be wrong and they were all mysteriously held off the scoreboard by a bunch of rookies.
Thanks given by:
The 3 u mentioned are not prospects not rookies anymore. I am referring to pop's notion that we have no prospects who can compete with any other team's prospects
Thanks given by:
Liljegren, the new coming of Erik Karlsson (Toronto media and fans are saying this, not me) was garbage. He was on the ice for 4 out of the 5 goals against.

That was for you Habling Happy
Thanks given by: habling
I read someone on Twitter say he seems to have low hockey IQ, at least in that prospect game.

Hope it continues Wink
Thanks given by:
Here is an article that quickly looks at the invited prospects at the rookie camp that is happening right now.

If you are interested in this type of stuff....

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prosp...-continues
Thanks given by:
Grant McCagg‏ @grantmccagg
Interesting to see that Ikonen started the season as KalPa's #1 center. Look for a full live report on tomorrow's game from @MiikaArponen
Thanks given by: