Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our first pick will be between these two:
(2018-06-22, 09:27 PM)bicboi Wrote: Who?

Wilde, McLeod and Veleno on the board and we pick this guy?
I've watched JBD for the past 2 years here in okotoks. Excellent skater, high hockey IQ, good on both ends of the sheet, and an all around great kid. IMO, and although it could've just been that last years Brooks team was so bloody good, but Docker was more noticeable night in and night out than Makar. Was hoping he'd still be on the board for the Oilers next pick (if they were looking to pick a dman).

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I had that feeling Tkatchuk was going to be a Sens.
With Neiler gone, we have a bit of mustard up front now. Not saying he's a goon, teams are not playing these types anymore. With Smith not playing physical anymore, it was critical to get some jam.
Getting the second round pick is also good, but I have no clue about Docker...
They were pretty adamant in getting this player for his skating and transition game. Time will tell.
Thanks given by:
Saw a pic of the Tkachuks on Instagram celebrating. Was kinda nice to see the whole family, gonna be awesome in future family gatherings
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Man Logan Brown,Colin White and Tkachuk. Senators just became team USA...lol
Happy with the pick. Bunch of big mean dudes who can skate. Seems Zadina is out of shape. Guess people thought he was another Nail Yakipoff(spelling)
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-22, 09:23 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Agree with Bic that habs went off board a bit.  And boquist would have also been off board

Meh. Perhaps we simply disagree on what 'off the board' means exactly. If you believe in rankings, Zadina/Tkachuk were around 3/4 while Kotkaniemi was 5.

Kotkaniemi went 3, Tkachuk 4, and Zadina 6.

I believe Zona and Dallas went off the board with Zona taking a guy at 5 who was ranked 11th and the Stars taking a guy at 13th who was projected to go 23rd. Then again if I look hard enough I could probably find lists that say things that are totally different.

People seem to get pretty hung up on these lists as if they are some kind of absolute rankings. Drafting is a very inexact science and it will in most cases take years to properly evaluate these picks.
Thanks given by:
Its all opinions. I guess ours are just different than yours.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-23, 11:26 AM)Limestoner Wrote:
(2018-06-22, 09:23 PM)RyeRocks Wrote: Agree with Bic that habs went off board a bit.  And boquist would have also been off board

Meh. Perhaps we simply disagree on what 'off the board' means exactly. If you believe in rankings, Zadina/Tkachuk were around 3/4 while Kotkaniemi was 5.

Kotkaniemi went 3, Tkachuk 4, and Zadina 6.

I believe Zona and Dallas went off the board with Zona taking a guy at 5 who was ranked 11th and the Stars taking a guy at 13th who was projected to go 23rd. Then again if I look hard enough I could probably find lists that say things that are totally different.

People seem to get pretty hung up on these lists as if they are some kind of absolute rankings. Drafting is a very inexact science and it will in most cases take years to properly evaluate these picks.

I'd argue those teams took off board picks as well, as in they took a player who wasn't projected as high as his selection was. Granted it's only a matter of 2 spots in Kotkaniemi in case, still off board given very few scouts or experts mention him as a top 3 talent.

Ftr, I definitely wanted Boqvist regardless of whether he was considered off board or not.
Thanks given by:
I'm a bit surprised at our second rounder Johnny Tychonick. Akil Thomas who had a great offensive season with Niagara was available and we didn't take him.
Thanks given by:
I get what Limestoner is saying, he simply means that any player from 3-9 taken in any order shouldn't come as a surprise (which is true) because they're all pretty equal in talent and/or potential. We're all basically arguing a technicality based on where all the experts had specific players going in what order, not because Kotkaniemi is a bad pick, but rather most experts predicted a couple other players would go before him. This is nothing new and something that literally happens at every draft i.e, players drop a bit and players get picked earlier (ex. Brian Lee....*barf*).
Thanks given by:
3 guys taken from Jr A this draft, not crazy about drafting guys playing against lesser competition.

2nd draft in a row where no Euros were selected either, which seems odd.

Time will tell I guess. Also weird that we drafted the future top pairing for UND in the 1st and 2nd. At least they will have time to develop chemistry. They also played together as kids growing up.

Plus, we got Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden!! Lol.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-23, 02:27 PM)bicboi Wrote: I'm a bit surprised at our second rounder Johnny Tychonick. Akil Thomas who had a great offensive season with Niagara was available and we didn't take him.

Gimmick pick IMo as he is going to play with that other D man at UND. Hope I’m wrong.
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-24, 02:55 PM)Heisenberg Wrote:
(2018-06-23, 02:27 PM)bicboi Wrote: I'm a bit surprised at our second rounder Johnny Tychonick. Akil Thomas who had a great offensive season with Niagara was available and we didn't take him.

Gimmick pick IMo as he is going to play with that other D man at UND. Hope I’m wrong.

Cool tidbit Heisenberg, lol it'd be cool to see these two anchor our blue line in 5 years cuz Dorion saw something in em!
Thanks given by:
Here’s an article written on them from before the draft.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/...-opposites
Thanks given by:
(2018-06-24, 02:53 PM)Heisenberg Wrote: 3 guys taken from Jr A this draft, not crazy about drafting guys playing against lesser competition.

2nd draft in a row where no Euros were selected either, which seems odd.  

Time will tell I guess. Also weird that we drafted the future top pairing for UND in the 1st and 2nd. At least they will have time to develop chemistry. They also played together as kids growing up.

Plus, we got Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden!! Lol.

There's clearly no European scouting left. A damning indictment of where this team is off the ice. Absolutely laughable that a small market team isn't turning over every rock looking for talent. Absolutely laughable for a franchise who's best players in franchise history are both Europeans.

You may remember a John Gruden playing for the Sens in the late 90s/early 00s. A farmhand defenceman. This is his son.
Thanks given by:
Has anybody seen this?

Thanks given by:
Lol. Every Sens fan has done that at least once this year at some point!
Thanks given by:
I once threw a bag of crackers and got crumbs everywhere.... that was about 10 years ago now. 9 penalties in a row against Carolina I think.
Now I just turn the TV off.... I'm growing up. Soon I'll be 12 my wife tells me.
Thanks given by:
Wait, did I hear in the background Bob McKenzie say that his intangibles are outstanding?? This kid needs to take a chill pill, Intangibles = Cup!!
Thanks given by:
Lol that was me a couple days ago, but I feel sorry for this fella, at one point in his life he bought or received a Brassard jersey.
Thanks given by:
Not gonna lie that was my reaction too. Ask my girlfriend

Tkachuk should be a good player but I am so sick of intangibles and character. This team needs a hot shot especially after losing Hoffman
Thanks given by: