Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our saviour, JT
We're all collectively damp at the thought of Tavares taking a giant load of Geoffie's cake.

But even if he does arrive, pockets overflowing and all, how far away does that still leave us?

The Isles have had him for nine years, and made the playoffs exactly three times in that span. Last year, they had Barzal as a 2C outscore JT the Wonderboy (their top two Cs had 169 points, ours had 71)... and still missed the playoffs.

Now, clearly this isn't on Tavares. Their own masterb...uilder, Garth Snow, has seen his teams miss the playoffs eight of 11 years. Given we have the equally inept MB at the helm, does locking in Tavares for upwards of $100M, to go along with the $18M+ per annum going to Price and Weber into their mid-fifties, make us perennial contenders, or leave us on the hamster wheel to nowhere for another decade?

I'm torn. While I'd be giddy to add a 1C, there's still part of me that says 'fark it, blow it up, add as many kids/picks as possible and wait on the big-ticket items'.

Also, as an offbeat point of reference:

"I spoke with Garth at length throughout the spring about the general manager's position and he really impressed me with his passion and his knowledge."
– Islanders (then majority) owner Charles Wang

"He's somebody who really understands how to build a hockey team." 
— LLP on MB

Do we really think JT, coming off nine years of one, wants to sign up for seven years of the other?
Thanks given by:
Darren Dreger says he isn’t coming to Montreal so it must be true
Thanks given by:
Tavares is gonna look great as our #1 LD with Pleks as our #1C.
The MB Trifecta: Low Cost, Low Risk, No Return
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 08:30 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: Darren Dreger says he isn’t coming to Montreal so it must be true

I think the Dregs said it's 50/50 on whether he's coming to Montreal or not. His sources say it's maybe not happening but it's still possible and we'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 08:36 AM)Captain aHab Wrote: Tavares is gonna look great as our #1 LD with Pleks as our #1C.

"If Tavares doesn't come, MB better not let DD go to the KHL."
- My Loins
Thanks given by:
I vote hamster wheel to nowhere. The management of this team loves that hamster wheel. It's safe and generates decent profits with minimal risk which is exactly what this management group likes.
Thanks given by:
Like most things I believe the answer is to have a balance. To go all young could and often does leave teams with a wealth of young talent that for different reasons can't seem to win on a consistent basis. We have all seen teams hover in mediocrity for years by signing veteran FA's without ever obtaining the high talent mixed with youth that is only available through drafting.

As far as JT goes, I have mixed feelings. The 85 million or so over 7 years that it will take to get him is a heavy price to pay but... what other option does MB really have to get a 1st line centre?
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 08:42 AM)mada7 Wrote: I vote hamster wheel to nowhere. The management of this team loves that hamster wheel. It's safe and generates decent profits with minimal risk which is exactly what this management group likes.

"Finishing at No. 8 would be just great."
- LLP

[Image: giphy.gif]
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 08:46 AM)labradorcongo Wrote: Like most things I believe the answer is to have a balance.  To go all young could and often does leave teams with a wealth of young talent that for different reasons can't seem to win on a consistent basis.  We have all seen teams hover in mediocrity for years by signing veteran FA's without ever obtaining the high talent mixed with youth that is only available through drafting.

As far as JT goes, I have mixed feelings.  The 85 million or so over 7 years that it will take to get him is a heavy price to pay but... what other option does MB really have to get a 1st line centre?
Agreed. If it takes roughly 15M a year to sign him, though, as Nyder suggests, I don't think I would go for it.
Ancient Chinese Proverb: A mosquito landing on your testicle should help you realize that violence doesn't solve every problem
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 08:56 AM)Scriptor Wrote:
(2018-05-17, 08:46 AM)labradorcongo Wrote: Like most things I believe the answer is to have a balance.  To go all young could and often does leave teams with a wealth of young talent that for different reasons can't seem to win on a consistent basis.  We have all seen teams hover in mediocrity for years by signing veteran FA's without ever obtaining the high talent mixed with youth that is only available through drafting.

As far as JT goes, I have mixed feelings.  The 85 million or so over 7 years that it will take to get him is a heavy price to pay but... what other option does MB really have to get a 1st line centre?
Agreed. If it takes roughly 15M a year to sign him, though, as Nyder suggests, I don't think I would go for it.

Do we have enough high-end prospects (not just guys who might just initially contribute a little at the NHL level, ) on cheap contracts to help offset that cost (and that of Price and Weber)? Not yet, I don't think.
Thanks given by:
The thing is it don't matter what we want. Sounds like team is not interested in a tank/rebuild thing. So we better land JT. Or we will continue to add minor pcs in hopes we can stay healthy and make playoffs. It's all about getting better to make the PLAYOFFS. that's the goal right now with management

They now see going young and fast helps...so they say they will do so while being a playoff team.

If u don't want to see this team not rebuilding and yet not making the playoffs....u better hope we land JT

Until Molson is ready to rebuild it won't happen
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 10:46 AM)Haba-daba-do Wrote: The thing is it don't matter what we want. Sounds like team is not interested in a tank/rebuild thing. So we better land JT. Or we will continue to add minor pcs in hopes we can stay healthy and make playoffs. It's all about getting better to make the PLAYOFFS. that's the goal right now with management

They now see going young and fast helps...so they say they will do so while being a playoff team.

If u don't want to see this team not rebuilding and yet not making the playoffs....u better hope we land JT

Until Molson is ready to rebuild it won't happen

You're very likely correct about what the team wants/plans to do. That said I personally hope they fail miserably and repeatedly at it so that by hook or by crook they'll stop doing this bad plan. In the past I said if they're going to do what I think is a stupid plan I'd at least like to see the best version of that stupid plan. Now after a year where I expected very little from them and was still somehow disappointed, I'd rather see Bergevin and Molson fall flat on their faces enough times in the hopes that it convinces them stop trying to hammer that poor square peg into a round hole or they fail enough times that they're de facto tanking and rebuilding due to their own incompetence.
Thanks given by: Gerry Pigeon
It would be so interesting to hear what Bergevin's sales pitch is to Tavares. I mean, obviously the money is key, but what are the main selling points? Certainly it is a unique experience to play here, there is the Brossard facility, which I still hear is tops in the league. Great place for families to live. But where does the team plan come in? I mean so much of Bergevin's plan moving forward could be whether Tavares signs here or not. I am sure trying to sell Tavares on him being the plan won't go over very well. And you can't sell him the same way he did to a guy like Alzner. I seriously wonder what goes in to landing a huge UFA whale like Tavares. How much of it is the sales pitch, or what the player already knows of the city and team or who he knows.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 11:17 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: It would be so interesting to hear what Bergevin's sales pitch is to Tavares. I mean, obviously the money is key, but what are the main selling points? Certainly it is a unique experience to play here, there is the Brossard facility, which I still hear is tops in the league. Great place for families to live. But where does the team plan come in? I mean so much of Bergevin's plan moving forward could be whether Tavares signs here or not. I am sure trying to sell Tavares on him being the plan won't go over very well. And you can't sell him the same way he did to a guy like Alzner. I seriously wonder what goes in to landing a huge UFA whale like Tavares. How much of it is the sales pitch, or what the player already knows of the city and team or who he knows.

According to McGuire, number one thing players want to know is what is the team plan and who are they playing with.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 08:37 AM)RightNyder Wrote:
(2018-05-17, 08:30 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: Darren Dreger says he isn’t coming to Montreal so it must be true

I think the Dregs said it's 50/50 on whether he's coming to Montreal or not. His sources say it's maybe not happening but it's still possible and we'll just have to wait and see.

He has no sources, he has no idea where JT will end up

50/50? well no shit its 50/50, either he signs with MTL or he doesn't.

Why would JT come to MTL?
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 11:37 AM)DDO_Habs_Fan Wrote:
(2018-05-17, 11:17 AM)SeanCDNMTL Wrote: It would be so interesting to hear what Bergevin's sales pitch is to Tavares. I mean, obviously the money is key, but what are the main selling points? Certainly it is a unique experience to play here, there is the Brossard facility, which I still hear is tops in the league. Great place for families to live. But where does the team plan come in? I mean so much of Bergevin's plan moving forward could be whether Tavares signs here or not. I am sure trying to sell Tavares on him being the plan won't go over very well. And you can't sell him the same way he did to a guy like Alzner. I seriously wonder what goes in to landing a huge UFA whale like Tavares. How much of it is the sales pitch, or what the player already knows of the city and team or who he knows.

According to McGuire, number one thing players want to know is what is the team plan and who are they playing with.

John Tavares will be pleased to know he will be playing on a line with John Tavares! That should make John Tavares happy Wink.
Thanks given by:

Well we're not getting him then because if press conferences are anything to go by our plan is a pile of cliches, excuses, and jokes about one particularly tacky pair of pants
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 11:40 AM)mada7 Wrote:

Well we're not getting him then because if press conferences are anything to go by our plan is a pile of cliches, excuses, and jokes about one particularly tacky pair of pants

Press conferences are nothing to go by.

They're just a quick pat on the head and tap on the ass for fans.
Thanks given by:
(2018-05-17, 11:40 AM)mada7 Wrote:

If I was him, I would be asking who is the number 2 center because every good team is two center deep. Habs have no chance IMO. If I was him I would sign 8 years with NYI or take a monster one-year payment with the Leafs (15 million cash paid out before the season starts).

Oh and O'Reily just scored to beat the Russians in OT off a beautiful pass by McDavid. Nilan laughing at Marinao because Marinaro was screaming to remove O'Reily for Barzal.
Thanks given by:

JT must be salivating to get a crack with Hudon on his wing Happy
Thanks given by: