Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ovechkin hits 50 goals again
How highly do you rate Ray Bourque?

He essentially went to the strongest team in the league at the very end of his career and won a cup in Colorado.  If he didn't do that would think less of him?  

Probably not. 

Ovie's career is not over, he has a few more years to get a cup, and maybe he pulls a Bourque at the end of his career, who knows?
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-13, 11:35 PM)Fritz Wrote: How highly do you rate Ray Bourque?

He essentially went to the strongest team in the league at the very end of his career and won a cup in Colorado.  If he didn't do that would think less of him?  

Probably not. 

Ovie's career is not over, he has a few more years to get a cup, and maybe he pulls a Bourque at the end of his career, who knows?

I can't honestly comment on Bourque, I don't really remember him too much as Bruins player...now that I think of it I only remember him as an AV.

OV has plenty of playoffs left in him and I most certainly hope he wins. I'm a huge Ovie fan and will be cheering as loudly as when the Sens made the the finals if he wins the cup, or even gets to the finals. Heck, I want him to score the GWG and break the damn mesh Wink
If you need a sign to stay alive tonight, this is it!
Thanks given by:
Well, Ray Bourque spent his entire career being one of the best players in the world, like Ovie, and spent a majority of his career without a cup, like Ovie so far, but I d not recall anyone ever calling him a choker for never leading the Bruins to a cup.
Thanks given by:
Boutique deserves props for picking the team that actually won it. That’s a lot harder than people realize.
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-13, 11:44 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: Boutique deserves props for picking the team that actually won it. That’s a lot harder than people realize.

Yup, just ask Iginla.
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-13, 11:41 PM)Fritz Wrote: Well, Ray Bourque spent his entire career being one of the best players in the world, like Ovie, and spent a majority of his career without a cup, like Ovie so far, but I d not recall anyone ever calling him a choker for never leading the Bruins to a cup.

Does Bourque have a history of not having any points in elimination games like Ovie?

Wait didn't one of the Boston teams with Borque on them at least get to the finals, or out of the 2nd round? That's not winning the cup but that's some semblance of success. Ovechkin hasn't even been able to do that. Its why I stopped calling the Sharks chokers, they made the conference finals a few times but could never crack the finals, but they eventually did.
Thanks given by:
There are 31, soon to be 32 teams in the league, there are going to be some great players that never win a cup.
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-13, 11:45 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2018-04-13, 11:44 PM)ZappaScores Wrote: Boutique deserves props for picking the team that actually won it. That’s a lot harder than people realize.

Yup, just ask Iginla.

Could've been the case for Hossa if he didn't got to Chicago. I was in grade 9 and 10 during the Wings and Pens back to back match ups and it was just weird to see him on losing ends in the finals. Glad he finally won the cup though
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-13, 11:46 PM)Fritz Wrote: There are 31, soon to be 32 teams in the league, there are going to be some great players that never win a cup.

I'm not denying that, but have guys like Lafontaine, Alfie, Sundin, etc... great players that have never won the cup had trends like Ovie? Where they simply don't produce in crucial games or can't even get past the 2nd round? I wouldn't consider any of those players better than Ovechkin, he's an all time great to me, but in terms of playoffs, there's a glaring hole.
Thanks given by:
Bourque went to 2 Cup finals with Boston at least.   Ovie has never been to the 3rd round in 12 years & counting!

That's a horrendous record of futility & can not be overstated.   Ovie is so not a clutch performer.   It's not even up for debate.   He's a no show when the games matter the most
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-13, 11:46 PM)bicboi Wrote:
(2018-04-13, 11:41 PM)Fritz Wrote: Well, Ray Bourque spent his entire career being one of the best players in the world, like Ovie, and spent a majority of his career without a cup, like Ovie so far, but I d not recall anyone ever calling him a choker for never leading the Bruins to a cup.

Does Bourque have a history of not having any points in elimination games like Ovie?

Wait didn't one of the Boston teams with Borque on them at least get to the finals, or out of the 2nd round?  That's not winning the cup but that's some semblance of success. Ovechkin hasn't even been able to do that. Its why I stopped calling the Sharks chokers, they made the conference finals a few times but could never crack the finals, but they eventually did.

I am sure a lot of great players have a history of not scoring in elimination games.  

Bourque was on two Bruins teams that lost to the Oilers in the finals.  Ovie's team just lost two years in a row to the eventual Stanley Cup winners.
Thanks given by:
Bourque is a world-class player, and I would have rated him as just as highly, even without a cup.
He played on mediocre teams his first 12 years.
He made it to the Finals twice after that, but again, he had a weak supporting cast.

He had Middleton and Pederson, 2 great players, and then Neely, a great player, and Janney, way overrated.
His supporting cast included dudes like Carpenter (most over-rated 50 goal scorer ever), Linseman, Crowder, Fergus, Burridge.
In nets, they had Pete Peeters, Reggie Lemelin and Andy Moog - not exactly stellar.
Ranford was a bit better.

Only after the arrival of Adam Oates, and effective guys like Heinze, Donato, Stumpel and Smolinski, did they become contenders.
Why is common sense not so common?
Thanks given by:
(2018-04-13, 11:55 PM)Fritz Wrote:
(2018-04-13, 11:46 PM)bicboi Wrote:

Wait didn't one of the Boston teams with Borque on them at least get to the finals, or out of the 2nd round?  That's not winning the cup but that's some semblance of success. Ovechkin hasn't even been able to do that. Its why I stopped calling the Sharks chokers, they made the conference finals a few times but could never crack the finals, but they eventually did.

I am sure a lot of great players have a history of not scoring in elimination games.  

Bourque was on two Bruins teams that lost to the Oilers in the finals.  Ovie's team just lost two years in a row to the eventual Stanley Cup winners.

LOL...

So when the Leafs lose to the Bruins, can they claim to be the 2nd best team in the league if the Bruins win the Cup?
Silly schoolyard logic...
Why is common sense not so common?
Thanks given by:
Sorry, my last post was out of line, but OV's legacy is very close to my heart!
Thanks given by: