Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pettersson is the Best
This is a cool video: the editor synced up the first push of Pettersson with those of the other skaters in the All-Star skating contest and so this is a more direct comparison of EP40 with McDavid, Eichel, Barzal and Heiskanen.

It's closer than you might have thought.

Thanks given by:

Thanks given by: Lagavulin
Thanks given by: arnoldlayne , arnoldlayne
Way to stir the pot Iain.
Long you live and high you fly...
Thanks given by:
Pretty obvious.
Matthews is WAYYYY overrated!
"In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane."     Oscar Wilde
Thanks given by:
ESPN has Pettersson as a finalist for the Hart Trophy.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25926...ris-vezina

Thanks given by:
(2019-02-07, 03:01 AM)Canuxxx Wrote: ESPN has Pettersson as a finalist for the Hart Trophy.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25926...ris-vezina

As the article basically states that he ice tilts when EP is out there:

The Canucks have a plus-34 goal differential when he is on the ice; when Pettersson isn't there, they have a minus-44 differential -- which speaks not only to the thinness of the team's lineup, but to the massive success that their rookie star has had by comparison.
Thanks given by:
He'd probably have 30+ goals by now if not for all the injuries.

Thanks given by:
"He reminds me so much of Wayne Gretzky" - Paul Kariya on Pettersson.

Kariya btw look exactly the same as he did back in 93(his draft year) lol.

Thanks given by: Lagavulin , Lagavulin
No question Petey is the cream of that draft.   There is some other great players as well including Heiskenan, but Petey is going to have a special career.      

When you get guys like Petey and Boeser together it put tremendous pressure on the GM (under the Cap system) to surround them with 2 stud d-men and a cheap but effective supporting cast to go with higher paid high end guys like BO.      Tremendously difficult and if not handled correctly you end up like the Oilers
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Thanks given by: Lagavulin , Lagavulin
Underrated part about Pettersson's game? his passing/playmaking. He is just as good a passer as he is a shooter. And he showed his playmaking skills against the Flames last saturday.

Pettersson biggest strength back in his draft year was his playmaking. He was known as a playmaker. His weakness? believe it or not, it was actually his shot. Two years later and he's now already one of the best goal scorers in the game.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-11, 06:18 AM)shoes Wrote: No question Petey is the cream of that draft.   There is some other great players as well including Heiskenan, but Petey is going to have a special career.      

When you get guys like Petey and Boeser together it put tremendous pressure on the GM (under the Cap system) to surround them with 2 stud d-men and a cheap but effective supporting cast to go with higher paid high end guys like BO.      Tremendously difficult and if not handled correctly you end up like the Oilers

Defence obviously is the biggest issue they need to address in the offseason.

We have a stud dman coming up next year in Hughes. We also have a couple of young promising dmen prospects coming up in Juolevi and Woo. 

If Erik Karlsson makes it to free agency, Benning in my opinion should do everything he can to sign him.
Thanks given by:
Great read.

Thanks given by:
Petey still at a "respectable" 25.5% shooting percentage... 

I guess Pouz was right about 28% being unsustainable...  Wink

I've never been there before, but once I went there twice...
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-13, 02:25 PM)SAVARYGUY Wrote: Petey still at a "respectable" 25.5% shooting percentage... 

I guess Pouz was right about 28% being unsustainable...  Wink

Only for Lou Francheschetti or Warren Young. They had 28% and 30%, and Ferraro was 28% one year and 25% for about 3 more seasons. Amazing
Phill 2:10-11 
Thanks given by:
On the Tim & Sid show, Sid says that if the Canucks make the playoffs, Elias Pettersson should be named the MVP of the league and would get his vote if he had one.
Thanks given by:
If you could translate defence into points, I’m guessing he’d probably be top three in the league. What makes him so great is that he isn’t one dimensional. He plays a complete game.
Thanks given by:
(2019-02-15, 05:24 PM)Alexis25 Wrote: On the Tim & Sid show, Sid says that if the Canucks make the playoffs, Elias Pettersson should be named the MVP of the league and would get his vote if he had one.

It's amazing how one player can actually make can't miss watching Canuck t/v. You never know what kind of magic he is going to produce every shift he's on the ice. Nobody considered him a generational talent when Benning drafted him but I'm pretty sure people are coming around to believing that now.

I like Horvat and Boeser as well. I thought when Boeser showed up that wow we really have a player here now who can score but Petey seems miles ahead of him even. EP just thinks the game on a whole different level than even other "good" players. When some compare him to Gretzky that's an amazing accolade and while Canuck fans try to remain grounded in our opinions there is no doubt that yes EP is trending to be an outstanding pick.
Thanks given by: